My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.40i

Question 2004 BMW X5 4.40i No Crank, Trouble Code P1720, Temp Gauge Shows Hot

I just bought a 2004 BMW X5 4.40i knowing that it has a random misfire problem, primarily when the engine is cold. The morning after I buy it, I connect my scan tool and start the engine. I don’t go anywhere, I just sit in my driveway. As soon as the engine misfires and the check engine light comes on, I shut the engine off and read the trouble code. It shows a random / multiple misfire. I erase the code and repeat this process a few more times in the next five to ten minutes, looking for a specific cylinder misfire code, and I am able to get a cylinder 1 misfire. Hoping to get a different cylinder misfire code, I go about the process one more time. The engine is idling smoothly, then it suddenly stops. I go to restart the vehicle, and when I turn the key to the crank position, no crank, no solenoid clicking, nothing. When I try a second time, the vehicle won’t even allow me to turn the key to the crank position, unless I remove the key and re-insert it. Everything else seems to operate normally. I use my scan tool to check for trouble codes and I show a P1720. I also notice that when the key is turned on, the temperature gauge moves all the way to the hot position. Thinking the vehicle might not recognizing my key, after some research, I re-initialize the only key I got with the vehicle, which changed nothing. The battery checks good, brake lights work, and I have tried both park and neutral. I am not worried about the misfire situation, but I sure would appreciate some help to get the vehicle started.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Towed to X5 forum.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.40i

Solved!!

Well, folks, great news, my X5 is running again! I was hoping to get a little help from this forum, but no such luck! There are currently 123 views, and 0 responses on this thread. I am guessing that if you ended up here, you are not browsing this forum because you have nothing better to do, but because you are looking for solutions. So in the hope that this may help someone out there, I will share my thought process and what I found.

First, I searched the internet extensively for diagnostic troubleshooting charts. I even purchased two different service manuals on ebay. One made mention of DTC Charts, but I couldn't find any. So I tried a different approach.

Given that I suddenly had several, seemingly unrelated, symptoms all at once, I suspected that I might have a short, or an open, in the wiring somewhere. I figured the easiest place to start was with the fuses. I looked in the glove box and saw nothing. The first fuses I found were in the right rear cargo area. I checked them all and they were good. I looked under the hood, and to my surprise, found no fuses there. I checked the glove box again, and discovered there was a pull-down panel at the top. I removed the rechargeable flashlight, popped it open, and lo and behold, dozens of fuses. Never saw so many in my life! Rather than check them all, I started with the suspect circuits. I checked the diagnosis plug – 1 fuse, good; starter interlock – 1 fuse, good; immobilizer – 3 fuses, good; thiefproofing system – 2 fuses, good; on-board computer/on-board monitor – 1 fuse, good; on-board diagnose II – 2 fuses, good; then engine control – 3 fuses, where I found fuse 31 blown. It was a 5A fuse and I replaced it from the spares found in the same area. I could hardly wait to turn the key, and when I did, success!! The engine started, the temperature gauge acted normally, and as for code P1720, I don’t remember if it went away on its own or if I was able to erase it with my scan tool.

A lot of detail, I know, but I thought I would share my thought process, especially since diagnostic troubleshooting charts seem impossible to find. Perhaps, even if you don’t have the exact same situation, following a similar process may lead you to your problem. If this helps anyone, please let me know, and maybe add to this post with your situation.

Also, if anyone knows where to find any diagnostic charts, please share that information here and/or on a second thread that I started called “Trouble Code Diagnostics OBD II”.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Glad you got it fixed. The other views must have been unregistered guests as I can see the members who have views this thread. Just two, you and I. This forum is not real active. I'm not familiar with the model so had no advice to give. Thanks for the follow up though. Hopefully it will help someone down the road.

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    If you want advice on problems with your X you will be better off posting on www.Xoutpost.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    Hate to admit it but attack_eagle is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofBavaria View Post
    ............. then upallnight has probably got it right
    Spirit

My Cars
    87 325ic,88 325ix,88 M3

Thank You You have given me hope

[QUOTE=upallnight;29332047]If you want advice on problems with your X you will be better off posting on www.Xoutpost.com.[/Q
    My E53 2006 4.4 died on the highway last Sunday. 10 minutes later I was able to restart, got another 5 miles died, had it towed. Replaced Battery- started right up, got 3 miles died again. Plugged in scanner P10721 and P1720. Called for a tow. Tow truck driver starts car right up, drives it onto flat bed. Gets to my house Rolls it off to drive it up my hilly driveway. Car will NOT restart. Now parked. Thanks to your writeup I will go through all the fuses you have found and see if I can find a loose or blown. IT IS A START, Thanks AGAIN.