Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Help getting the shine back

My Cars
    '90 325is

Help getting the shine back

I have a 1990 325is is great mechanical condition but the paint looks like it has taken a beating from the sun for 26 years. There aren't too many rock chips or scratches but the shine has disappeared. I'm wondering what the best solution to restoring the shine as best I can without having to respray the car. I've attached a picture of what I'm working with. What's the correct process and products to use?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    oo==[][]==​oo

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    If it's old single stage paint, there is something you can do.
    First, do little test to see if it's single stage. (paint only and no clearcoat). Get some fine polish like ScratchX 2.0 (Walmart carries it as does most every car supply shop). Put little dab on a towel and work it into an inconspicuous part of the car. If the cloth turns red, it's single stage.

Then you can use something like Klasse AIO to remove the top layer of oxidized paint. You can do it by hand or by machine (dual action polisher). Klasse is a chemical cleaner mostly and it'll work very well. After you've done the whole car, or even a panel, you'll want to protect it from oxidizing again over time. Klasse makes a sealant that works well with the AIO. Klasse SG or HSG.

Those two are often referred to as the Klasse twins.

Let us know if it's not single stage paint, ie clearcoated. We'll have more options for you maybe.