Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me get ISTA/D to work!!!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I run ISTA_D on 3 other machines without any issues but my DELL m65 is another matter. After running every trick I know - repair installs, new hard drive and even a full clean install of Windows XP on a brand new hard drive, it still refuses to run ISTA-D. I have the software running on an identically specced HP Pavilion and also ran it on an old desktop PC running XP and a couple of Windows 10 machines - and yes, it will run on all of my other machines from an external USB drive - but not the DELL, so I think it has something to do with DELL's drivers. The fact that DELL don't want to know you after the service tag expires is the primary reason that I would not consider them when I replaced my desktop PC a couple of months ago.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    That Dell issue is quite strange.
    I wonder if you can force USB host controller drivers directly from Intel, or even from HP to fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

For this OP's problem... I am really waiting to know the FTDI driver version he has installed.
    The new ones will install just fine, but will refuse to work with the clone FTDI chips.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Wiping hard drives? Reinstalling Windows?

I run the ISTA-D standalone from a 64gb microSD on a Windows tablet, or sometimes I put the SD into my laptop and run it from there. From Windows 8.1 64-bit, to Win7 64-bit, to Win10. The standalone version doesn't get any easier. If you extracted correctly, Rheingold ISTA is fine... look at your connection settings, or your EDIABAS installation or configuration.
    Well, I really didn't want to do that and ended up taking a nap. Everything suggested to correct the "unblock" was not blocked. So, the other reason is that the files weren't extracted to SQLiteDBs folder and in my case they weren't...they were just in the Rheingold's folder. So, I couldn't figured how to move them and deleted them instead then extracted to SQLiteDBs again. Since that didn't resolve the unblock issue, I still need a solution...is there a way to point ISTAGUI to the folder? I set ISTAGUI to open DiagDOCDb but that didn't solve the problem.
    I wonder if you can force USB host controller drivers directly from Intel, or even from HP to fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

For this OP's problem... I am really waiting to know the FTDI driver version he has installed.
    The new ones will install just fine, but will refuse to work with the clone FTDI chips.
    I am using the latest FTDI driver...you have to manually do the two step process as well as you don't need to connect the cable to the car...just to the computer and see this video here: http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch...ng-fake-chips/

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by NolliM3 View Post
    I am using the latest FTDI driver...you have to manually do the two step process as well as you don't need to connect the cable to the car...just to the computer and see this video here: http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch...ng-fake-chips/
    The problem you linked was a totally different problem. FTDI pulled those drivers completely, for quite a while now. All due to the huge backlash.

The newest drivers are causing problems again but not bricking the chip like before (and in the link), it just simply refuses to work. Version 2.12.18 causes problems, as well as their NEW old version 2.08.24.
    Those will cause communications issues.

You need the old 2.10.00 or 2.12.00 for FTDI chips.

But in your case, aren't you using ADS for your 95 M3 from what I last I remember? So I am not sure this applies to you at all. In fact, I am not even sure if ISTA will work with ADS.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Wiping hard drives? Reinstalling Windows?

I run the ISTA-D standalone from a 64gb microSD on a Windows tablet, or sometimes I put the SD into my laptop and run it from there. From Windows 8.1 64-bit, to Win7 64-bit, to Win10. The standalone version doesn't get any easier. If you extracted correctly, Rheingold ISTA is fine... look at your connection settings, or your EDIABAS installation or configuration.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem you linked was a totally different problem. FTDI pulled those drivers completely, for quite a while now. All due to the huge backlash.

The newest drivers are causing problems again but not bricking the chip like before (and in the link), it just simply refuses to work. Version 2.12.18 causes problems, as well as their NEW old version 2.08.24.
    Those will cause communications issues.

But in your case, aren't you using ADS for your 95 M3 from what I last I remember? So I am not sure this applies to you at all. In fact, I am not even sure if ISTA will work with ADS.
    Yes, a 95M3, and both ADS and OBD work...so, far only ISTA via OBD/USB interface successfully identify the vin; however, without the SQLiteDBs files, I could get much further. Can you recommend a fix to the unblock issues so I don't need to reinstall everything? I still haven't fully diagnosed the car with any of the software and ended up spending lots of time on computer just to diagnose the car's computer...DIS not recognizing the car's battery via ADS yet INPA does via OBD/USB then find car's computer but can't load it...another NTVM.exe issue. Also, where to get the old 2.10.00 or 2.12.00 for FTDI chips? That might be causing the ADS and OBD/USB issues too!
    Last edited by NolliM3; 07-03-2016 at 07:56 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    On your 95 you have very limited USB-OBD cable functionality. It 'works' but it doesn't. Just EWS and airbag. I have never connected to much else on those.

ISTA got the vin and identification for your car from EWS module, which is perfectly readable via OBD-to-20-pin cable on your car (along with airbag module, and that's about it). However it will still not read ECU via USB OBD cable. So ISTA will just give you errors for not being able to reach Instrument Cluster, ECU, ABS, and other L-Line modules. Just like you've seen with INPA and USB-OBD cable. Even on my 96 OBD2 car, ISTA errors out because it cannot reach instrument cluster (the only module USB cable won't reach for me)

The only way I have seen ISTA run on those older cars is with an ICOM interface and adapter C.
    It would take some experimentation to see if it will work with ADS, although I think EDIABAS 6.4.6 or 6.4.7 is too old. That, or run DIS with ADS or an OPPS head.

I don't think you have a problem with SQLiteDbs. I just moved my SQLiteDB folder out, and ISTA still starts without errors. It just can't get any data or car info. When I went to Operations, Basic Features tab, the Model Series was empty.

With Rheingold Standalone, I usually just unblock the .rar files and uncheck read only. Then I unpack them anywhere and run program. There's no installation with the standalone.
    There is a non-standalone installer version (the original version), that I have but haven't bothered with because I like standalone better.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 07-03-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '66 DVC '95 325ic
    I have no problem reading all the modules ( except EGS ) on both my 95 e36s, auto coupe and manual vert, using an OBD/ADS cable in ADS mode with INPA or DIS. Both cars are late model 95s with EWSII. EDIABAS 6.4.3, INPA 4.4.7, EasyDIS 4.4

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by fuggle View Post
    I have no problem reading all the modules ( except EGS ) on both my 95 e36s, auto coupe and manual vert, using an OBD/ADS cable in ADS mode with INPA or DIS. Both cars are late model 95s with EWSII. EDIABAS 6.4.3, INPA 4.4.7, EasyDIS 4.4
    Off topic, you are using serial ADS interface, not USB OBD cable.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '66 DVC '95 325ic
    Sure. I was just posting my experience is his thread since he posted his in mine. Carry on.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I hope you didn't take it as me being rude. You have the right interface for your car. I saw the thread too, but I haven't seen too much of that, and am curious of the resolution.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '66 DVC '95 325ic
    No I didnt take any offence. Me too!

My Cars
    E90
    What version drivers did you install for your cable? The newest drivers cause issues with chinese made OBD cables with FTDI. You need 2.10.00 or 2.12.00 (the older versions of these from about 2 years back).
    this might be the problem, basically i plugged it in and wait for windows to get me the drivers. ill try to install 2.10.00 and see if this fixes it. also for the drivers, can i just install over it? or do i have to uninstall those drivers and install the 2.10.00?
    Last edited by deadremix; 07-05-2016 at 06:26 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You will have to uninstall, and remove the driver completely from system by checking the tickbox "remove driver from system"
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The newest drivers are causing problems again but not bricking the chip like before (and in the link), it just simply refuses to work. Version 2.12.18 causes problems, as well as their NEW old version 2.08.24. Those will cause communications issues.

Is there 64 bits version of 2.10.00 or 2.12.00 for FTDI chips? I had PM'd you then, found your Google drive; however, when I extract version 2.12.00 and attempt to manually update, Windows 7 64bits protested and I can't update.

Wondered whether OP using Windows 8 32bits!

My Cars
    E90
    Quote Originally Posted by rico000 View Post
    Hi deadremix,

From what I've read in your OP, looks like you've installed the same kind of ISTA/D standalone package that I have, so here's what I've learnt wandering through the various directories.

The main ISTA/D archive deploys a Rheingold directory which already contains a minimal Ediabas install (C:\Rheingold\Ediabas), and it's that install that ISTA/D is configured to use, so the supplemental Ediabas install (from the Ediabas 7.3.0 MSI file) comes as a duplicate in my understanding, but adds some features as it's a complete Ediabas version.
    The problem is then to know which of both version is actually used by ISTA/D when it starts.

Here's what you can try :
    - uninstall supplemental Ediabas altogether (right click/uninstall on Ediabas MSI file if it's the one that's currently installed)
    - in your main ISTA/D deployment directory, rename C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN to C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\OLD_BIN
    - reinstall Ediabas MSI package, changing its install path to C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\ during installation
    - this will create a new C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN directory containing all Ediabas binaries + DLLs + INI files
    - the rest of Ediabas package (docs, helper files, sim files, etc ....) will be installed in C:\EDIABAS as usual
    - modify EcuPath parameter inside C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN\EDIABAS.INI to C:\Rheingold\Ecu

Then, you can redo your other settings :
    - C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN\EDIABAS.INI
    Interface = STD:OBD
    You don't care about anything TCP or Ethernet here as you'll be using an USB K+DCAN cable if I'm correct (=> nothing to do with a network connection).

- C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN\OBD.INI
    [OBD]
    Port=Com9
    Hardware=OBD

You also don't have to care about ifhsrv32, which is a network proxy for Ediabas. It's used when ISTA (or any BMW diag software needing Ediabas to connect to car), is run from another PC than the one where Ediabas itself is installed, and "discusses" remotely with it over a network.
    Guess it's not the classic case for DIYers

Hope this will help solve your situation.

Anyone else feel free to correct me if I've mistaken somewhere.
    can anyone confirm that this is what i would have to do since i have a standalone version? also if this is something i have to do. can i just copy my whole ediabas folder from C:\ Ediabas to C:\Rheingold\Ediabas and change the original BIN from C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\Bin to OLD_BIN?
    Last edited by deadremix; 07-06-2016 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by deadremix View Post
    can anyone confirm that this is what i would have to do since i have a standalone version? also if this is something i have to do. can i just copy my whole ediabas folder from C:\ Ediabas to C:\Rheingold\Ediabas and change the original BIN from C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\Bin to OLD_BIN?
    I can only speak of what I did from the instructions I received. After wiping the hard drive and reinstalling all software, it works. All I configured was C:\Ediabas\Bin\Ediabas.ini. All I am waiting on to test communication with the car is K+DCAN 64bits driver or I may need to buy a cable with a real FTDI chip. Are you using Windows 8 32bits?

My Cars
    E90
    Quote Originally Posted by NolliM3 View Post
    I can only speak of what I did from the instructions I received. After wiping the hard drive and reinstalling all software, it works. All I configured was C:\Ediabas\Bin\Ediabas.ini. All I am waiting on to test communication with the car is K+DCAN 64bits driver or I may need to buy a cable with a real FTDI chip. Are you using Windows 8 32bits?
    8.1 64bits

My Cars
    Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by deadremix View Post
    I can confirm that this works for me when using ISTA/D (I'm running v3.55.11 standalone by the way) to diag an R56 Mini.

Hardware:
    - installed ISTA/D on a fresh Windows 10 Pro English x86 Virtualbox VM (4GB RAM, Video 2D accel, 2 CPUs, 160GB max disk size)
    - K+DCAN cable with FTDI chip
    - Virtualbox 5.0.24 running on a Mac

Some more information on my install procedure :
    - installed all required Microsoft redistributable packages (vs90_piaredist, vcredist 2010 and vcredist 2013)
    - unzipped ISTA/D + SQLiteDBs to final place
    - applied ISTA-D reg fix
    - installed Ediabas 7.3.0 MSI the way I described above
    - plugged K+DCAN cable and guided Windows to install Ediabas provided drivers from C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD\FTDI (v2.08.24)
    - configured ediabas.ini + obd.ini as described above (although in my case I decided to keep COM3, that driver chose by itself)
    - set COM port's advanced setting "Latency Timer" to 1ms
    - launched ISTAGUI and followed the rest of installation instructions

Remarks:
    - I didn't install java (as I found unzipped ISTA/D directory also contains its own JRE install), I simply launched C:\Rheingold\JRE\bin\javacpl.exe as an administrator, to try to "register" Java in Windows registry. Maybe java install is necessary for ISTA/P, but ISTA/D doesn't complain.

- I didn't install instructed .NET framework as Windows 10 already comes with latest version.

- I didn't run RCleaner because no previous ISTA or ISPI Next install to clean up.

- I'm sure "328 Power 04" has much more experience than I have, so he's surely right that FTDI drivers v2.08.24 may cause problems on certain cars. It's clear that communication stability is much more critical when programming than when diagnosing, but as I'm far from having the necessary skills for programming (and don't actually intend to tune up anything on the car), I've decided to install only ISTA/D and to trust BMW guys for having tested the drivers version provided with Ediabas. I've downloaded latest v2.12.18 versions from FTDI website but haven't tried them since v2.08.24 are working fine for me.

- To answer your question, I don't think simply moving BIN directory from C:\Ediabas\ to C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\ will do, as C:\Ediabas\BIN path has been written by Ediabas installer in many files and registry values. So I think moving BIN directory that way would let ISTA/D load the DLLs and binaries from that new directory, but you would end up unable to launch Ediabas Toolset32 or other such tools later if you needed to. That's why my first point stated to uninstall Ediabas MSI altogether, and re-install it within ISTA/D path.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I understand what you did Rico000 and yes that will work. The deal with the FTDI drivers would only cause a problem if the cable has a fake FTDI chip. I've opened my cable, and it says FTDI and installed the driver v.2.12.16, but it could be a fake.

My Cars
    m5
    Quote Originally Posted by rico000 View Post
    - I didn't run RCleaner because no previous ISTA or ISPI Next install to clean up.
    Where did you find RCleaner ? I tried to find it on my install of ISTA D and didn't see it anywhere ?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mover View Post
    Where did you find RCleaner ? I tried to find it on my install of ISTA D and didn't see it anywhere ?
    That doesn't apply your since you bought yours directly from Rheingold.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Are you aware that Rheingold USA aren't official, they are just knocking out copies of an old ISTA/D system they downloaded a year ago or more.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    m5
    Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    Are you aware that Rheingold USA aren't official, they are just knocking out copies of an old ISTA/D system they downloaded a year ago or more.
    I wasn't aware of that.

The version I have says 3.54 but has problems. I've listed it in another post.

Is there a version out there that definitely works ?

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    It does sometimes work, but it seems to be hit and miss whether it'll work on any particular system.

Some will work fine, some will give the can't connect to database error.

Using DIS is the best way, ISTA/D has just copied all the DIS programs over, in fact, if you can even find some ancient references in ISTA/D to using features from MoDiC, which was the one before DIS.
    You'll see mentions of clicking the "right arrow" in ISTA/D which has been replaced with a button marked NEXT instead.

DIS works, and it's all the same stuff.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    E90
    is this possible to do?

keep the ediabas from stand alone installer 7.0.3 and the one from bmw standard tools installed but rename the folders in c drive, and change C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\Bin to OLD_BIN and install bmw standard tools again and set installation path to C:\Rheingold\Ediabas or do i have to completely uninstall both ediabas.

also this is my k+dcan cable. you guys see anything wrong with it?

20160720_124732.jpg
    20160720_124822.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast