Thread: E36 M3 Sedan Front Seats Reupholstered

My Cars
    2013 M3 Comp 6mt

E36 M3 Sedan Front Seats Reupholstered

Anyone have any experience with this company (see link below). Im trying to restore my M3 sedan and want to rewrap the front seats in new leather. Pics or experience would help or if anyone knows of another leather company. I want it to look factory and new.

https://www.lseat.com/products/1992-...ers-front.html
    ///MLOVE
    1993 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    1995 M3 (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    1987 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    2001 M3 (Laguna Seca Blue) (sold)
    2004 X5 4.4 (Sapphire Black Metallic) (sold)
    1997 M3 Saloon (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    2003 X5 3.0 (Steel Gray Metallic)
    2013 M3 Competition (Lemans Blue Metallic)

My Cars
    2010 335i; 1998 M3/4/5
    No experience, but (i) the price is right, and (ii) the offer free swatches.

Wish there was an option for the back seat so the leather would match.

No match for Magma either
    Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 06-14-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: There is an option for the back seat, but only for verts...

My Cars
    1987 332 (S52)
    Ive recovered a few seats, but I always had used parts. Ive never done a m3 seat but here are a few tips
    1. Wear eye protection when cutting hog rings. They fly.
    2. If you need the leather to stretch a little, dont pull on it, try leaving it in the sun for a little.
    3. Zip ties replace hog rings just fine.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by MLOVE View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this company (see link below). Im trying to restore my M3 sedan and want to rewrap the front seats in new leather. Pics or experience would help or if anyone knows of another leather company. I want it to look factory and new.

https://www.lseat.com/products/1992-...ers-front.html
    It's very intriguing for the price, my only fear would be fitment.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    I used auto berry. Fit was good, I had to do some filling with foam and a lot more tightening on the seat bars but I blame that on the fact that the stock seat foam is likely collapsed as compared to new.

Old pics:

https://flic.kr/p/oXAemq

https://flic.kr/p/peNYkH

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adamnur; 06-14-2016 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    I to have replaced cover components with take-off bottom and back covers, pretty straight forward.
    I do STRONGLY suggest these cutters for nipping the original steel hog rings, snip them like soft butter.

DEWALT Model # DWHT70275

9.7 in. Compound Action Diagonal Pliers

1ba6ecdb-ace5-4c8f-bbe1-51cf2a009b5c_1000.jpg
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    I might just get those. Can't beat that price.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Sports seats only, so it appears? Vader owners are SOL. Wonder how the leather compares.

Adam, looks nice. How has it held up?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    The only thing I don't like are the ///M stripes on the passenger side....it should look identical to the driver's side, not switched
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    I used Autoberry for my dove grey leathers and costs me $820. I'd like to see how these look installed.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Sports seats only, so it appears? Vader owners are SOL. Wonder how the leather compares.

Adam, looks nice. How has it held up?
    I'd say it's held up 9.5/10...though I worry about continued use.

They were installed in mid 2014, have about 5K miles of seat time and there is some dye separating in a wear groove. The wear grooves are not much of a problem, but for dye to be affected is. I just noticed this yesterday actually. The stitching is also not as strong as OEM, as there is some fraying happening. And I'm a guy that gets in/out of the car looking like an idiot trying not to touch the bolsters.

After talking with autoberry, he says the warranty doesn't cover this, as it is wear and tear...I asked for the terms and conditions of their 6 year warranty but stopped receiving replies since.

I still think compared to what's available out there, autoberry is likely the best option and I'm happy with everything but this issue worries me about future wear. My original seats were over 15 years old and the dye held up amazingly well, no cracks at all.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Anybody order the Lseats version? That's an amazing price
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Sports seats only, so it appears? Vader owners are SOL.
    They have vader starting from $750 http://www.autoberry.com/details.php...categories_id=

The Lseats version are a real bargain, maybe someone can chime in who uses them and can comment on fitting.
    Autoberry uses for the vader seats imported leather from Germany http://bader-leather.com/en/company/about-us
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
    Anybody order the Lseats version? That's an amazing price
    I'd have tried those if they'd existed in 2013 when I replaced mine.

I'm a little more concerned with function, so for $800 I installed Recaros from an Evo X instead of paying for new leather. They are significantly more supportive in spirited driving.

But man, those original sports seats are still the most comfortable seats I've ever had. For $300 I'd have recovered them, no question.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Lseat report. I tried some seat covers for my '92 325i, regular seats, not sport or vader. I had intended to try these and then go for the vaders when the time came, but the M is gone so I can only comment on these. Here's how it went with lseat. First week of March, 2017. They didn't originally have the pattern for my seats, there's two versions and they only had the convertible seat listed. The original offer was if I provided a pattern (original seat cover removed) then there would be a 50% discount on the covers. I removed the seat and seat back covers and sent them for a pattern around 3/27. I had also asked to have them match the best leather color with some of the unfaded parts of the original cover. After about a month of trading emails about what's happening with my seat covers I get an email about which covers to order. Ordered on 4/25. At this point I'm thinking they have the covers, it's obvious which style covers I have on these seats and they have the original covers for color. I order exactly what they told me to order from the website even though it didn't look quite right, but considering they have the covers and we have been corresponding about this, it's done. Order gets shipped to me on 5/25 and I get it them couple days later. We're now almost 4 months into this order.

Seat covers arrive and look very nice. Workmanship appears OK, leather seems to feel OK, thickness about 1.5mm, all the loops for the attachment wires are there but I see two things not right. The color isn't even close, and since they had the originals I figured it would be better. The other problem is how the seat backs were configured. There's two types of attachment styles and these covers have the other one, which is unusual since the original covers showed this very prominently. Anyway, this is a major difference but I decided I could cut and modify and make this work to save another month of waiting. Lseat did offer to replace these.

Installation. I noticed that the covers were a slightly larger than the originals and needed a bunch of new foam padding to make a nice tight fit and also to have the seams located where they should be. This was also part of the decision to keep the covers having the wrong attachment style because I could cut and fit the attachment points to the seat back where I would not have been able to do this otherwise. In all fairness, lseat offered to take these back and provide the correct covers but I opted to keep these. I have one cover installed, pics attached.

Overall, I would purchase from lseat again depending on some issues, one being able to return them if I didn't like the fit or finish. This '92 325i I have is a Dinan badged 3 with almost 200K miles. Some of this stuff just doesn't matter for this car but I would have been be much more particular about the fit, color and quality for my M. Like I said, the covers were a bit too large and required padding for good fit and finish. The leather is a bit thinner at 1.5mm than some other cover providers. The leather has a foam backing and the stitching/sewing appears to be nicely done. The color portion of the leather is already wearing off on part of one bolster after only 4 months of use (driver's seat, pic included) and I found the color easily scratched off in a couple of places during the installation. lseat did refund the shipping charges to me because the order took so long, and they said they would refund the 50% because I provided a pattern (original cover) but I never did see that credit on my card.

The rest of this is speculation and I can't verify any of the following. I sent the original seat covers for the pattern and I think they got lost, this because the color was way off and the pattern configuration wasn't the same as the originals. It would have been very obvious looking at the originals. Also, I later asked about the 50% refund for providing the pattern and they didn't know what I was talking about until I sent them their own email with that offer. I have all the emails. These folks operate out of the Houston, TX area and what I suspect is they may be acquiring orders and patterns, having the covers made in Mexico and then driving from Houston to pick up covers once a month, maybe more. Not really a problem but coincidental with the time it takes to get your covers and that mine didn't look anything like the originals I sent to them (lost??). Like I said, this is speculation.

There's always a reason why products are cheaper and cost half as much as similar products from other vendors. Not a problem if your willing to accept and deal with that. For $300 and considering the age of the car and the condition of the original seat (pictured) I was willing to take the chance. The seats are better than they were. An update in 6 months or so after seeing how they hold up.

P1030190_s.jpg P1030277_s.jpg P1030279_s.jpg P1030280_s.jpg
    Last edited by tjm3; 10-16-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: last sentence edit
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Well geez. Thanks for your review but that's super disappointing...

My Cars
    99m3vrt BMWPhoto Car
    Www.Leatherseats.com. Just finished my 99 m3 vert yesterday and they look amazing.
    Last edited by lex99m3; 10-22-2017 at 07:54 AM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by lex99m3 View Post
    Www.Leatherseats.com. Just finished my 99 m3 vert yesterday and they look amazing.
    They only have options for 3DR hatchback and the convertible. And it's $1300 for full leather, it appears you have to buy front and rear seats.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan