Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Kind of Remote Keyless Entry Did My 1991 850 Come With

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    I'd rather not spend the time to do the install myself, and besides, I'd like to also install a two-way momentary switch inside the car that would run the whole comfort close-open routine from the console (I have a spare switch location where the EDC III, now disabled due to excessive cost of replacement shocks, used to be, that would be perfect for that).

Can you recommend any "guys that understand BMW installs" in the NJ-Greater New York area?

Thanks,

-- E36Ron

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    THREAD UPDATE: SUCCESS!! GREAT JOB BY UNITED AUTO SECURITY

So I took the car to United Auto Security, to have them install their box -- cover sheet of their brochure below (entire file too big to load here) --

UAS Remote Keyless Entry BMWZEX6. - Cover Page.pdf

and Jimmy, one of the owners, took care of the install.

This comprises a complete new set of keys with built-in transmitters, along with a receiver controller box spliced into the wiring circuit of the car, to tap into the signal wires from the door lock that activate both locking and the comfort close / open feature.

In addition, I had him wire a rocker switch that I supplied into the no-longer-used EDC position on the console, so that both locking and the comfort open/close can be activated from inside the car, as well as from the remotes.

The whole system works perfectly!

Not only do the key remotes work exactly like the door lock, but so does the dash switch. A single tap of the remote (or the dash switch) in the open direction unlocks the car; a sustained pressure in the same direction opens the sunroof and all the windows.

Likewise, a single tap of the remote in the closed direction locks the car, and sustained pressure closes the sunroof and all the windows -- EXCEPT that the driver's window only closes partially, thus protecting a presumed unsuspecting occupant (see discussion above re alleged "safety recall").

And, best of all, the UAS system operates independently of the status of the ignition -- so the car can easily be unlocked from the inside right on the console, if the inside door handle happens to be locked (see E36 comparison discussion above).

So thank you, Jimmy, for doing a great install job, and thank you to all who have variously contributed to this thread and various others on this subject. For me this is one E31 problem I now consider SOLVED!

Now, there remains only one more modification
    I'd like to make to this system: I want to alter the timing of the sunroof opening and closing with that of all the windows, so that (a) all the windows open first, and THEN the sunroof, and (b) the sunroof closes first, and THEN all the windows.

This would then allow independent opening and closing of all the windows from inside the car, without opening the sunroof, if desired, by simply releasing the rocker switch at the right moment.

Can the GM be reprogrammed / recoded to do this? REVTOR??!

Regards to all,

-- E36Ron
    Last edited by E36Ron; 06-11-2017 at 10:01 PM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Ron View Post
    Now, there remains only one more modification I'd like to make to this system: I want to alter the timing of the sunroof opening and closing with that of all the windows, so that (a) all the windows open first, and THEN the sunroof, and (b) the sunroof closes first, and THEN all the windows.

This would then allow independent opening and closing of all the windows from inside the car, without opening the sunroof, if desired, by simply releasing the rocker switch at the right moment.

Can the GM be reprogrammed / recoded to do this?
    I'm afraid this is not possible through coding...

But from what I gather you are interested in automatically rolling down/up all windows without the sunroof. You can't do that through the door lock or key fobs. The A1 general module (GM) simply does not support that scenario (unless you disable the sunroof but I assume that's not what you want either). An alternative is the Window Control Module (FSM) by Martin of 8er.org. With this module the central locking button in the power window switches block gets dual functionality: A short tap on the button followed by a tap on any up or down button automatically rolls up/down the windows (no need to hold the button(s)). A longer tap (>1 second) on the button performs the central locking function. Note that the FSM functionality is only available for the power window switches - not the door locks or key fobs. It also only opens/closes the windows - not the sunroof. If you're interested in the FSM module please note that it requires disassembly of the power window switches and soldering to install it (installation instructions).
    Last edited by revtor; 06-12-2017 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    Thank you as always, Revtor, for an immediate, useful, comprehensive and helpful reply!

I will look further into this option. Meanwhile 8er.org looks like something I should join. Even if it's only in German, Google Translate, with its new AI-enhanced capability, does an amazing job of making it accessible.

Unfortunately their site is "down for maintenance" right now -- usually a cause for suspicion that the site is going out of business. Hopefully that is not the case here!

Beest regards,

-- E36Ron

Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    I'm afraid this is not possible through coding...

But from what I gather you are interested in automatically rolling down/up all windows without the sunroof. You can't do that through the door lock or key fobs. The A1 general module (GM) simply does not support that scenario (unless you disable the sunroof but I assume that's not what you want either). An alternative is the Window Control Module (FSM) by Martin of 8er.org. With this module the central locking button in the power window switches block gets dual functionality: A short tap on the button followed by a tap on any up or down button automatically rolls up/down the windows (no need to hold the button(s)). A longer tap (>1 second) on the button performs the central locking function. Note that the FSM functionality is only available for the power window switches - not the door locks or key fobs. It also only opens/closes the windows - not the sunroof. If you're interested in the FSM module please note that it requires disassembly of the power window switches and soldering to install it (installation instructions).

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Meanwhile 8er.org looks like something I should join. Even if it's only in German, Google Translate, with its new AI-enhanced capability, does an amazing job of making it accessible.

Unfortunately their site is "down for maintenance" right now -- usually a cause for suspicion that the site is going out of business. Hopefully that is not the case here!
    Sorry, I accidentally linked to the old 8er.ch domain which is no longer in use. This is the correct link. I've updated my post.

8er.org hosts several E31 communities: German (free and paid), French (free and paid), Scandinavian (free) and English (free). The German forum has a wealth of information but a great part of it is in the club forum with paid membership (keeps the servers up and running). The English forum has waned a bit over the years - most of its members are also member here at bimmerforums.com so that's where most of the discussions go nowadays - but there's still a lot of knowledge and the forum archives can be very valuable.

My Cars
    91 850i-95 850csi- 94 85
    THREAD UPDATE: SUCCESS!! GREAT JOB BY UNITED AUTO SECURITY

So I took the car to United Auto Security, to have them install their box -- cover sheet of their brochure below (entire file too big to load here) --

UAS Remote Keyless Entry BMWZEX6. - Cover Page.pdf

and Jimmy, one of the owners, took care of the install.

This comprises a complete new set of keys with built-in transmitters, along with a receiver controller box spliced into the wiring circuit of the car, to tap into the signal wires from the door lock that activate both locking and the comfort close / open feature.

In addition, I had him wire a rocker switch that I supplied into the no-longer-used EDC position on the console, so that both locking and the comfort open/close can be activated from inside the car, as well as from the remotes.

The whole system works perfectly!

Not only do the key remotes work exactly like the door lock, but so does the dash switch. A single tap of the remote (or the dash switch) in the open direction unlocks the car; a sustained pressure in the same direction opens the sunroof and all the windows.

Likewise, a single tap of the remote in the closed direction locks the car, and sustained pressure closes the sunroof and all the windows -- EXCEPT that the driver's window only closes partially, thus protecting a presumed unsuspecting occupant (see discussion above re alleged "safety recall").

And, best of all, the UAS system operates independently of the status of the ignition -- so the car can easily be unlocked from the inside right on the console, if the inside door handle happens to be locked (see E36 comparison discussion above).

So thank you, Jimmy, for doing a great install job, and thank you to all who have variously contributed to this thread and various others on this subject. For me this is one E31 problem I now consider SOLVED!

Now, there remains only one more modification
    I'd like to make to this system: I want to alter the timing of the sunroof opening and closing with that of all the windows, so that (a) all the windows open first, and THEN the sunroof, and (b) the sunroof closes first, and THEN all the windows.

Can the GM be reprogrammed / recoded to do this? REVTOR??!

Regards to all,

-- E36Ron
    Can you post a picture of what the keys look like?

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    Quote Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
    Can you post a picture of what the keys look like?

Here you go:

BMW 850 UAS Key with Transmitter (Web).JPG

These are BMW style, with the center knob, which would normally say "BMW," saying "UAS." The other button towards the key blade is the unlock button. (The third button the other side of the center is for trunks, which is not applicable to the 850.)

The only drawback of this key setup is that it is easy to press one or the other of the active buttons while inserting or withdrawing the key in the lock, or while turning the key to start or stop the engine. This may cause the car to lock just before you want to get out. If that happens, you have to recycle the lock through the key transmitter in order to open the door. (In my case, I can also easily do this from the added console switch.)

But you get used to this, and after a while it stops happening.

A small price to pay for the ability to remote keyless lock and unlock -- but most importantly remote keyless "comfort open or close" all the windows and the sunroof on this car -- in my opinion one of the coolest features of the BMW 850!

-- E36Ron
    Last edited by E36Ron; 06-13-2017 at 11:01 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Why'd the E31 have a clunky brick while the E32 had a switchblade and a functioning IR system on the sunroof panel? Granted it was useless at more than 10 feet, but it's fairly compact and more reminiscent of a modern setup.
    Last edited by XAlt; 06-14-2017 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    One of the many mysteries of BMW E31 engineering, reasons for which are probably lost forever in the mists of the past.

All I can tell you is the UAS system works GREAT!

-- E36Ron

My Cars
    850i
    This is similar to the issue I am running into with some nuances. I am hoping to resurrect this conversation and see if anyone can further comment. Thank you in advance. My situation is this...

1) 92 850i with a 7/91 build date
    2) I received two keys (pictured below)
    3) The manual shows the programmable switch blade style keys (I do not have)
    4) Also included was a key less entry manual supplement showing a one button remote (I do not have)
    5) In addition to above was what appears to be a dealer installation instructions for another remote system that details a part number for a three button remote
    6) I was given a three button remote with the car (pictured) that I am not certain was ever for this car as the part number doesn't exactly match the dealer install guide. I replaced the dead battery and am not sure how to program this to the car as the manual doesn't address this situation
    7) There is a small black box that appears to be a receiver mounted on the inside of the A pillar (pictured) that appears to be a non factor (dealer) installed item that doesn't correspond with the installed cell phone
    8) I haven't yet removed the knee bolster, but assume there is a receiver under there as well as that it what is shown in the install guide
    9) The anti theft is operational (red light blinks) and is activated using the key in the drivers door.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what car should have come with for a remote fob? Thank you!

IMG_8737.jpgIMG_8728.jpgIMG_8729.jpgIMG_8732.jpgIMG_8735.jpg
    Last edited by 8Serious; 02-06-2020 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Tried a different Picture insert (only allowed 5 max)

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    no pictures?
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    Looks to me like you have parts of two versions of the fabled Alpine dealer-installed non-factory setup for the US only.

I would be dubious about the little box on the pillar having anything to do with this, as it looks like it has vent holes for audio. (But that doesn't really help you.)

Hopefully someone may come forth with real answers for you, as there was some interest in this thread.

But I will tell you that, even if you get it working, the United Auto Security solution is far better, more modern, and highly reliable -- and it will also do the remote keyless comfort open and close, that rolls down and back up all the windows and opens and closes the sunroof, all from outside the car. Very cool.

If you have difficulty tracking down UAS, let me know, and I will get you their contact info.

Good luck!

-- E36Ron

My Cars
    850i
    Looks to me like you have parts of two versions of the fabled Alpine dealer-installed non-factory setup for the US only.

I would be dubious about the little box on the pillar having anything to do with this, as it looks like it has vent holes for audio. (But that doesn't really help you.)

Hopefully someone may come forth with real answers for you, as there was some interest in this thread.

But I will tell you that, even if you get it working, the United Auto Security solution is far better, more modern, and highly reliable -- and it will also do the remote keyless comfort open and close, that rolls down and back up all the windows and opens and closes the sunroof, all from outside the car. Very cool.

If you have difficulty tracking down UAS, let me know, and I will get you their contact info.

Good luck!

-- E36Ron

I appreciate the guidance. I will likely go the UAS route prior to spending many hours (or dollars) trying to re-create what originally happened. At the moment I am wondering if the three button remote I have was even ever destined for this car as it appears to have seen little use.

Thank you

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    no pictures?

Same here...
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    I too had trouble seeing the pictures - had to switch to use the attachment links in the email notification of the message to see them.

For some reason, there is often trouble with pictures in this forum. They are either not visible, or expire on whatever is the outside picture hosting platform (PhotoBucket, or whatever).

This is a real pain, because it is such a good forum, and pictures are frequently essential to understanding postings.

I have previously reached out to moderators, but to no avail.

-- E36Ron

My Cars
    850i
    It is strange. I can see them when viewing on my desktop but they don't show if I look at the thread on my iphone. I am happy to post them using a different method. I used a link from imgur. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    I see pictures! The 3 button fob looks like the on for my '93. Which as mentioned above was an Alpine unit.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    1993 BMW E31
    Hi! Do you still have this Fob/leather cover? I just got my 1993 850ci, and my fob looks like yours. Would love to have a second back up pair

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I just recently removed the 3 button remote locking system from my 1993 850, build date is 10/92. Harness, module, and horn were all removed. This system was dealer installed and now the locks operate with the key in the door. The red LED in the center console lights up when the car is locked.

From my understanding: in the USA, 1991 had no option for the system, the 1992 model had the option for the 1 button remote, then the 1993 model had the 3 button. Is it possible to install the 3 button in a 1992 or 1991? - I do not know. In 1994 the cars added EWS and had the key with built in remote for locks and alarm.
    Last edited by bdiefAZ; 08-18-2022 at 10:51 AM.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12