Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Beading vs Sheeting

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Beading vs Sheeting

People always talk about beading... But wouldn't shearing be better? I ask because when I get a wax that beads it looks cool until we get that light rain and then lots of sun. It turns my car into a polka dot dirt monster...

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Beading is seen as an idication of a good wax. It is not. But since people want beads they get beads. Even Optimum had to change their fomulation of opticoat (many times) to increase beading.
    Beads act like magnifying glases under sunlight. Sunlight and heat make the hardwater/acid rain etch the clear faster and more violently. Optimum made a "topper" to help survive water spotting, to minimal effect.
    In the '90's a few manufacturers played with sheeting-type sealants, but the market did not support these products.
    At the very least beading shows a reduction of surface energy, which makes drying the car easier than if it were not beading. A fast drive or a towel is necessary, but the issue of water spotting remains yet to be solved.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    So I'm not crazy then... I just applied Auto Finesse Desire wax and the car looked great for about a day before we got a light sprinkle and it looked like polka dotted dirt. Sheeting would be so much better given the unpredictability of the weather.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    If enough water builds up then it will sheet. Before I dry mine i take a watering can and pour it quickly over all surfaces. The once beading surface now sheets off minimizing the amount of water I need to remove with towels. I also use a blower. Doesn't help your non-wash deposit issue but good info nonetheless.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The biggest problem (mostly because I am cursed) is that when I was the car, we get that light rain. Not enough to downpour and wash the car off, but instead it's like a light misting which leaves lots of beautiful little beads all over the car which look great, until their flash dry under the 100 degree sun and leave the car with little dirt polka dots. I then have to take the car and wash/dry it to make it look clean again.

It's almost a daily or every other day occurrence now. I need a garage at my office so I can park it there.