Thread: Instrument Cluster resets while driving

My Cars
    2011 328 Xi

Instrument Cluster resets while driving

I just took my car in to get my rear brakes and wear indicator sensors changed to a reputable mechanic who I have used before for BMW maintenance. 10 miles later, and my instrument cluster is resetting itself as I drive (analog gauges such as speedometer are dropping to zero for a second, and the rest of the indtrument cluster is lighting up with ABS, service engine soon, etc. lights). This is happening frequently (ever 2-3 minutes while driving at least).

I'm almost certain this is related to the service performed, and now I have a "service engine soon" light on.

I am about to look at the OBD2 fault codes, but I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this issue.

Edit: OBD2 fault code (U112B) shows a CAN network failure. It seems the CAN Bus is having an issue and causing a reset while driving. The only work I had performed on this car was changing rear brakes and rotors (including wear sensors), brake fluid flush, and cabin air element and air filter change. This is extremely puzzling as it showed up not 10 miles (and the next day) after picking up my car from the shop. Aaaarghh. I even got a video of the instrument cluster resetting.

Cheers,
    B.D.
    Last edited by BostonDanMI; 06-12-2016 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    You have only one sensor, right rear that was changed on your car by the way for brakes. Regarding the rest of the issues unless someone really messed up the cables under the microfilter nothing should have caused the issue you have. I have seen this issue in older BMWs when the instrument board had a crack in it but I don't think this is your case. My best guess is that you have some issue with power from the fuse box to the rest of the car. The recall I presume was done on the battery cable from the battery to the fuse box? If so it sure sounds like a power issue. If your clock resetting itself? I ask because that is the first sign of a failing battery. CAN communication issue can be caused by this...
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    2011 328 Xi
    The strange part is that it was 10 miles out from the service that it started throwing this. No battery indicator on the instrument cluster. I tried resetting the faults and it came back after about 2 miles, so it's a true network fault. Unless the sensor was bad. The clock is steady and does not reset itself. Everything else works fine. Though I did not have the recall for the battery cable done, which I should. I'm calling the shop this morning when they open.

So frustrating. I don't want to get stranded on the side of the road with fried electronics or a dead car.

Cheers,
    B.D.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Love to hear if the recall corrects the issue. When I have seen this usually the car will not start. Pounding on the glove box sometimes helps. If you do and it corrects the issue temporarily then you have your answer otherwise the hunt continues.
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    2011 328 Xi
    One other thing I should have mentioned (and just thought of) is that I cleaned the car between receiving it and this problem starting. I used a spray cleaner for the interior dash, etc. and wonder if this cleaner could have gotten into the electronics. It's highly unlikely, but still a possibility. Ugh. Car is at the mechanic who is looking it over for me. I showed them the video and the mechanic was dumbfounded. He didn't think anything done to the car would have caused this issue, which I agree with.

Only though is that if a bad sensor were used for the brake pad wear, it may be putting noise on the CAN Bus, but this is a very remote possibility IMHO.

Cheers,
    B.D.

My Cars
    2014 435i xdrive m sport
    I had the same issue on my 330i, i have re-seated the cluster cable and that was it. It was doing it every 2-3 minutes and for long periods at the end. Became undriveable.
    Until i reseated that cable... Problem gone...

My Cars
    2011 328 Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by grabbat View Post
    I had the same issue on my 330i, i have re-seated the cluster cable and that was it. It was doing it every 2-3 minutes and for long periods at the end. Became undriveable.
    Until i reseated that cable... Problem gone...
    I have the car in the shop right now. I will call them and let them know. This happened suddenly, so a poor connection for the cluster cable might be it. Could you tell me where the cluster cable connection is to re-seat?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
    B.D.

My Cars
    2014 435i xdrive m sport
    Remove the cluster, only one cable on the back of it. unplug and replug. thats it.
    very easy, took 10 mn.
    it was a nightmare, until i took it to dealer, he gave me the same diagnostic that you are getting. he said he wants to keep the car for 3-4 days to check where is the bad wiring. of course i did not leave it there, since im out of warranty.
    cluster cable reseat did the trick.
    it was doing it from time to time for 2 years, then it would not stop anymore and became undriveable.

My Cars
    2011 328 Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by grabbat View Post
    Remove the cluster, only one cable on the back of it. unplug and replug. thats it.
    very easy, took 10 mn.
    it was a nightmare, until i took it to dealer, he gave me the same diagnostic that you are getting. he said he wants to keep the car for 3-4 days to check where is the bad wiring. of course i did not leave it there, since im out of warranty.
    cluster cable reseat did the trick.
    it was doing it from time to time for 2 years, then it would not stop anymore and became undriveable.
    Well, I just heard from my mechanic. I called him yesterday and relayed the information you provided. He took the cluster off, reseated the cable and he says I'm all set now.

Good to know about this for the future though.

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
    B.D.

My Cars
    2014 435i xdrive m sport
    So, was it resolved that way?

My Cars
    E36 325i, e46 328ci

E36 Cluster

Greetings from the future, did reseating the cluster plug resolve your guys issues? Have the same problem on e36 325i (very rare to find info on on this so thanks guys) will try this during the week and let the thread know if it worked.

Pew Pew Pew
    New Zealand.