Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW E24 AC upgrade(AS OF 2016)

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by dcains View Post
    From the bottom. More trouble if your car has the oil cooler, like mine, but not too bad. I also took the grilles and headlight assemblies out.
    Thanks, that'll save me a bunch of time. The pf condensors will custom hoses too right?

My Cars
    1985 635Csi
    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem43020 View Post
    Thanks, please report back your results. If they are compatible it should significantly increase the airflow.
    The 2 fan motors without the plastic cages both fit in the evaporator box with no problem. They look identical to me looking at them side by side. In fact I'm guessing the difference in output is only due to the larger cage (am I using the right word there?) on the heater blower. But the larger plastic cage won't fit in the evaporator box. So swapping the motors doesn't seem like it will do much if anything.

- - - Updated - - -

And bookmark this post on Bigcoupe from Da_Hose about da hoses. He goes into great detail about fabricating and installing the Aeroclip EZ Clip hoses and where the pain points were (about a third of the way down the page): http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...21047&start=50. I'm not quite at that point yet but hoping to be in a couple of weeks.

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Jones View Post
    The 2 fan motors without the plastic cages both fit in the evaporator box with no problem. They look identical to me looking at them side by side. In fact I'm guessing the difference in output is only due to the larger cage (am I using the right word there?) on the heater blower. But the larger plastic cage won't fit in the evaporator box. So swapping the motors doesn't seem like it will do much if anything.
    Thanks for getting back. It was worth a shot lol. So now I'm gonna have to stick to the pf Condensor, drier, SANDEN compressor and r152. Can't help but think that those front AC vents were put there for decoration and bragging rights. And I Never understood why there was so little airflow. This whole time I thought mine was broken but found out that's how it is. I'll have to take my center off to change the expansion valve so I guess that'll be a good time to look into the blower vent solution.

update: really appreciate that link. Might have to do this since the nearest hose/AC shop I know is like an hour away.
    Last edited by hakeem43020; 06-30-2016 at 02:00 PM.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I don't know mang. R152 is pretty flammable and the AC lines flow right past the exhaust manifolds on our cars. I would be hesitant to use anything that is an isobutane derivative. I chose to stick with R134, and recommend the same to anyone refreshing their AC system. I did choose to use R12A in my RV (1983 Ford E350 chassis), as the entire system sits right at the top/front of the engine bay, so there is less heat and it is more removed from the passenger compartment. The R12A has worked great, though.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHose View Post
    I don't know mang. R152 is pretty flammable and the AC lines flow right past the exhaust manifolds on our cars. I would be hesitant to use anything that is an isobutane derivative. I chose to stick with R134, and recommend the same to anyone refreshing their AC system. I did choose to use R12A in my RV (1983 Ford E350 chassis), as the entire system sits right at the top/front of the engine bay, so there is less heat and it is more removed from the passenger compartment. The R12A has worked great, though.

Jose
    alright I hear ya. Why R134 and not R12 though? Does the pfc and compressor work better with 134?

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Got the compressor custom brackets today. Got it fast considering it shipped on Wednesday.
    Attachment 575813
    Who was the supplier? I need a couple too.

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Old525i View Post
    Who was the supplier? I need a couple too.
    Email willnolan00@gmail.com. He sells them for $50. Kinda steep but he's the only person i know that still makes them unfortunately

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Great the parallel flow Condensor today. Surprisingly it also came with some brackets and screws. Now all I have to buy are the L brackets.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Was definitely worth the $60.

My Cars
    Euro 81 628csi. 02 325i
    Nice, please document your install. We would all benefit from it. Can you post the link to where you bought it from? i thought i saw it..

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    What size did you finally get? I currently have a 16x18 condenser installed but today I took some additional measurements on my e28 and I think I can fit an 18x22 or 18x23 condenser if I move the hoses out to the compartment on the left side. All that would be needed is two holes drilled so the hoses could exit. Right now the hoses are in the same compartment as the condenser.

demet

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by n2bimmer View Post
    Nice, please document your install. We would all benefit from it. Can you post the link to where you bought it from? i thought i saw it..
    Will do. It's this one I posted about earlier. It'll probably be a week or so before I install it since I wanted to wait until I get the drier and compressor, fit it all up then get the hoses made. Can't wait to get this done, I'm not looking forward to those 100 degree weather next week. Still debating on whether to use r12 or 134.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    What size did you finally get? I currently have a 16x18 condenser installed but today I took some additional measurements on my e28 and I think I can fit an 18x22 or 18x23 condenser if I move the hoses out to the compartment on the left side. All that would be needed is two holes drilled so the hoses could exit. Right now the hoses are in the same compartment as the condenser.

I got the 16x19. Will there be significant cooling difference between the two? If so I could get this one instead for $60 since it includes a drier and maybe sell this one or just get this one and just get the older e24 drier.

also what size is the compartment? I noticed that they measure it from one fin to the next and not from the end of the Condensor.
    image.jpeg
    Last edited by hakeem43020; 07-01-2016 at 03:10 PM.

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Will do. It's this one I posted about earlier. It'll probably be a week or so before I install it since I wanted to wait until I get the drier and compressor, fit it all up then get the hoses made. Can't wait to get this done, I'm not looking forward to those 100 degree weather next week. Still debating on whether to use r12 or 134.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the 16x19. Will there be significant cooling difference between the two? If so I could get this one instead for $60 since it includes a drier and maybe sell this one or just get this one and just get the older e24 drier.

I'd avoid getting one of those condensors with the drier tacked onto the side, as it will take up space you could use for a larger condensor or space you may need for the plumbing. Also, wouldn't be very easy to access for service on an E24.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
    '87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by dcains View Post
    I'd avoid getting one of those condensors with the drier tacked onto the side, as it will take up space you could use for a larger condensor or space you may need for the plumbing. Also, wouldn't be very easy to access for service on an E24.
    thanks. Didn't notice they were tacked on.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39

also what size is the compartment? I noticed that they measure it from one fin to the next and not from the end of the Condensor.
    image.jpeg
    Yes, you need to take into account the side brackets and the length of the ports (about 1") if you're to select a condenser.

What is the width of the opening on an e24? On the e28 I think it's about 23.5". I'll get some measurements and pics tomorrow for you.
    demet

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Yes, you need to take into account the side brackets and the length of the ports (about 1") if you're to select a condenser.

What is the width of the opening on an e24? On the e28 I think it's about 23.5". I'll get some measurements and pics tomorrow for you.
    Thanks. I Measured from the top and got 22". Maybe inside the hole is wider. I haven't seen any compatible condensors close to this size yet though. I'm guessing that the e24 and e28 should be close.
    image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Measured the Condensor and its 16x20 including the side brackets, so if anyone is buying a Condensor remember to add an inch for the sides.

image.jpg
    Last edited by hakeem43020; 07-01-2016 at 06:36 PM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I'm expecting delivery of a 22"x22" PF condenser and will mock fit it into my e28. I'll keep you posted on my results.

And as far as the brackets are concerned, I'm negotiating the manufacture of the brackets with a local company and I'm pretty sure I will be able to provide them for $35 shipped (in the continental US) for the pair. hakeem43020, sorry you had to pay so much for yours.
    demet

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    I'm expecting delivery of a 22"x22" PF condenser and will mock fit it into my e28. I'll keep you posted on my results.

And as far as the brackets are concerned, I'm negotiating the manufacture of the brackets with a local company and I'm pretty sure I will be able to provide them for $35 shipped (in the continental US) for the pair. hakeem43020, sorry you had to pay so much for yours.
    No worries, it's not your fault. At least now the new comers will get a better bargain than I did . Glad you decided to pick up a pf Condensor, I'll be purchasing this compressor on Friday then I'll wait to see how your Condensor works out to decide if I should pick one up.
    Last edited by hakeem43020; 07-05-2016 at 07:05 PM.

My Cars
    '73 ///M2, '85 ///M635
    For you a/c fanatics, after researching a bit, I used this stuff on the o-rings when I redid the 2002 a/c. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nylog-Blue-G...0AAOxyZwpSVFim

Cheers,

Ray

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by rlkrlk View Post
    For you a/c fanatics, after researching a bit, I used this stuff on the o-rings when I redid the 2002 a/c. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nylog-Blue-G...0AAOxyZwpSVFim

Cheers,

Ray
    Thanks, I recall hearing someone say o-rings should be replaced, which ones did you replace? Also, those of you who have the compressor, just to clarify would something like this work? Wanted to make sure before I order tomorrow .

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Ideally, you should replace all the O-rings, and the light-green colored ones will work with all oils and refrigerants. I've never used any sealant, just a little oil to lubricate the rings so they seat properly during tightening.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    '73 ///M2, '85 ///M635
    Further to what Dean said, all of the hose joints have o-rings on E24's I believe. My app was not on an E24 in this case. Dean, Nylog is not a sealant in the non-pliable sense of the word. It's kind of a viscous elastic goo ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAULfI8-Wwk

Cheers,

Ray

My Cars
    1985 635Csi
    I bought one of these $10 kits that are supposed to have all the AC O-rings for the 635. I'm early in the project so can't vouch for it having ALL of them yet.

It didn't have the tiny one for the expansion valve but the new valve came with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261204695871...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My Cars
    '86 635csi 5spd.
    Thanks for all the updates! I will need to renew my system as well, got new compressor with brackets and will follow the thread to see what largest condenser can be fitted. So far price of $60 seems to be very attractive.
    Val (a.k.a. chevale)
    Stuff For Sale

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    What should I look for when purchasing a compressor? Will any SANDEN 508 compressor work? Any specific part # I should look for?

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    What should I look for when purchasing a compressor? Will any SANDEN 508 compressor work? Any specific part # I should look for?
    Any of the Sanden "508" clones you see will work, as long as you choose one with the double V-belt pulley. You may see different versions with various types of fittings for the hoses, but that's not a big concern because you'll be getting new hoses anyway.

Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-AC-Compr...pWXdDJ&vxp=mtr
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast