Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW E24 AC upgrade(AS OF 2016)

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by IB635 View Post
    Thanks flyfisherman. Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of the Sanden over the Bosch??..

- - - Updated - - -

The R134 molecules are apparently small enough that they will leak through the old R12 hoses. I got my system working again using R134, and it works pretty well (75 degrees it's great, 95 degrees not so much), but I have not replaced the hoses yet.
    Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense. I recall reading something like that some time ago but forgot about it. When I got my car it was running 134a so I'm not sure if my hoses have been replaced. I did notice a while back that when driving air seeps through the vents even if I turn the AC off. Not sure if it has anything to do with this or if it's something completely different. Thanks for pointing this out, I'll add it to my to do list.

My Cars
    1985 635Csi
    I'm going through this too and I'm wondering... if I'm converting to R134a and replacing the expansion valve do I use the OEM part or do I need to get an expansion valve rated for a higher pressure? Haven't seen mention of a different part # in any of the threads but seems like it would need to operate at a higher pressure with R134a.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLM6 View Post
    I have decided to make my '87 L6 track only and have removed a barely used compressor.
    Seltec TM-15HS with custom bracket
    Just PM'ed you about the compressor.

My Cars
    1987 L6, 1985 930
    [QUOTE=IB635;29290209]Thanks flyfisherman. Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of the Sanden over the Bosch??..

In my (limited) online research, the Bosch for the e24 is actually a re-manufactured unit by Four Seasons and received poor reviews on the Pelican parts website. The Sanden was recommended in several A/C threads on this forum and was approximately $100 less expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Jones View Post
    I'm going through this too and I'm wondering... if I'm converting to R134a and replacing the expansion valve do I use the OEM part or do I need to get an expansion valve rated for a higher pressure? Haven't seen mention of a different part # in any of the threads but seems like it would need to operate at a higher pressure with R134a.

Just PM'ed you about the compressor.
    On autohauz and eBay they have some listed as "for 134a". Don't know the difference between them though.

For or those of you who have replaced the expansion valve, does it simply just bolt on for you guys? Mine doesn't and all the valves that I've ordered are the same size so I'm guessing someone replaced the pipe for the front expansion valve on mine and had custom ones put in. Are there any similar cars that I could get a similar pipe or places I could get One from? I have the adapter but I want to avoid using it if possible because it might leak.

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Best A/C upgrade? Tinted windows. There is a LOT of glass.

My stock A/C, which I have never touched, blows very cold on even hot days (it is front only version, of course). But when a puffed-up DMV cop made me remove my tint before he would sign off on the import title (yes, it had nothing to do with it, he was a jerk and obviously not happy being assigned to his job in a trailer, and making everyone else pay for it), I noticed it made a big difference. It still is cold but if the sun is shining directly through the windows on you it is not quite enough. I still have the factory bronze-tinted windows which look cool, but don't block enough sun.

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Agreed on the tint. I'm still pissed that I had a motorcycle cop give me a fix-it-ticket to remove for the factory light blue tint on mine a few years back. F-ing guys were just out doing a blanket sweep, had a bike cop on every corner just ticketing people for whatever they could. Car had driven around SoCal for 27 years with it, and no problem. Grrrr....

My Cars
    1985 635Csi
    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem43020 View Post
    For or those of you who have replaced the expansion valve, does it simply just bolt on for you guys?
    The one I ordered had the same connections and looks the same just shinier.

Old one:
    IMG_1169.jpg

New one:
    IMG_1172.jpg

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Some general things to understand about a conversion to r134 are the following.

Most mechanical parts/components from an R12 system can be reused.

R12 and R134 use non-compatible oils that will turn to sludge if you mix them. You must flush out the system in order to remove all the r12 compatible oil.

since proper flushing requires removal of the expansion valve, you will be able to clean it, or just replace if you prefer.

There are two things you really should change out. First is any soft hoses. The inside could be saturated with old oil, but more important is that the molecules of R134 are smaller than R12. Modern hoses have a barrier layer that keeps the R134 from seeping through. You will also need to replace the receiver/dryer.

One last thing to understand is that the Sanden pump is designed for R134 and is a really well made, multi-piston pump. It is a really common model, which makes it much cheaper than the Bosch. Availability, reliability and cost are the reasons for choosing the Sanden.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 06-19-2016 at 02:08 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    1987 L6, 1985 930
    One thing I neglected to mention above: The compressor I replaced with the Sanden was not a Bosch. It had a BMW label and BMW part number but also a label that read SEIKO/SEIKI made in Japan. I do not know if it was the original compressor or not. It could have been - the car had never been converted to R134 before I bought it. Even if it was a replacement it appears it came off the BMW parts shelf.

My Cars
    Merc R129, E31, Jag XKR
    Found this 16 x 19 pfc on ebay. Could something like this work?
    So is this the correct one? I need to order one
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire980 View Post
    So is this the correct one? I need to order one
    Not sure. The only thing I got up to this point is the custom made compressor brackets. I read around and everyone is saying "16 x 19" but all the links that were given are around a few years old and expired so I had no luck finding one that someone tested.

My Cars
    Euro 81 628csi. 02 325i
    Im glad this new post came up because i need to refresh my A/C as well. Are all these parts compatible with the 81 cars as well? Such as the Sanden, the parallel flow, brackets etc? Its been 114F here and its hell.
    Last edited by n2bimmer; 06-24-2016 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    Merc R129, E31, Jag XKR
    Not sure. The only thing I got up to this point is the custom made compressor brackets. I read around and everyone is saying "16 x 19" but all the links that were given are around a few years old and expired so I had no luck finding one that someone tested.
    Tell me about it! every link is either dead or the company doesn't exist anymore
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

My Cars
    1985 635Csi
    Maybe no one's ordered a generic condenser in a while. I'm willing to be the guinea pig and try one of the 16 x 19" ones out there now but it will be a few weeks before I get to that point.

Mounting will have to be custom for any of them. I think as long as you can fit one in at least as big as the original it's ok. Might be worth calling Vintage Air or one of those places to see if they have done an e24/e28 and if they have any advice.

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    I have the custom-made PF condensor from Classic Auto Air, and it was a direct bolt-on. But, it was $320, and if I had to do this again, I'd buy a generic and would have saved $200+. You can buy material to make your own brackets at Lowes, Home Depot, etc., and there's really not much to it. Even with the condensor I bought, new hoses were needed because of the different compressor, so that's not a consideration. Get the biggest one that will fit, along with the highest CFM fan you can fit.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
    '87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by dcains View Post
    I have the custom-made PF condensor from Classic Auto Air, and it was a direct bolt-on. But, it was $320, and if I had to do this again, I'd buy a generic and would have saved $200+. You can buy material to make your own brackets at Lowes, Home Depot, etc., and there's really not much to it. Even with the condensor I bought, new hoses were needed because of the different compressor, so that's not a consideration. Get the biggest one that will fit, along with the highest CFM fan you can fit.
    Thanks will do. Would you happen to remember the size of your Condensor? Was it 16x19? I'll look into a fan too while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Jones View Post
    Maybe no one's ordered a generic condenser in a while. I'm willing to be the guinea pig and try one of the 16 x 19" ones out there now but it will be a few weeks before I get to that point.

Mounting will have to be custom for any of them. I think as long as you can fit one in at least as big as the original it's ok. Might be worth calling Vintage Air or one of those places to see if they have done an e24/e28 and if they have any advice.
    same here. If you happen to get your hands on one before I do let me know if it does work out.

Quote Originally Posted by n2bimmer View Post
    Im glad this new post came up because i need to refresh my A/C as well. Are all these parts compatible with the 81 cars as well? Such as the Sanden, the parallel flow, brackets etc? Its been 114F here and its hell.
    Not sure. I've mostly seen these done in the e28 based e24s but it can be done. I would think that they'd use the same size Condensor but I'm really not sure about the brackets and the compressor.
    Last edited by hakeem43020; 06-25-2016 at 04:04 AM.

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    The Classic Auto Air PF condensor is the same size as the original, and you can see they took a generic and riveted on the brackets and brazed on hose fitting extensions to make it appear as original as possible.

Last edited by dcains; 06-25-2016 at 06:08 AM.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Thanks for those photos Dean. Looks like a local shop could braze adapter fittings onto a generic, and you'd still be well under $300..

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Just get your hoses made to match the condensor - you need them anyway.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Got the compressor custom brackets today. Got it fast considering it shipped on Wednesday.
    image.jpg

My Cars
    83 633csi, 87 325is
    The A/C is the single most frustrating thing about this car. Considering it was a luxury sports coupe, it should have been designed better. It's pretty much unfixable due to the vent configuration. I mean really, out of a possible 11 vents (counting the defrost vent as 1) you can only have cold air coming out of 2. It's ridiculous. An under-dash evaporator like those that came in 60's cars would be better. Or maybe connect a hose to the vent and stuff it in your shirt.

My Cars
    1985 635Csi
    There's always the swamp cooler. Just don't stop for anything and you'll keep a nice cool moist breeze coming...

bmw-swampcooler.jpg

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWFever View Post
    The A/C is the single most frustrating thing about this car. Considering it was a luxury sports coupe, it should have been designed better. It's pretty much unfixable due to the vent configuration. I mean really, out of a possible 11 vents (counting the defrost vent as 1) you can only have cold air coming out of 2. It's ridiculous. An under-dash evaporator like those that came in 60's cars would be better. Or maybe connect a hose to the vent and stuff it in your shirt.
    Lol couldn't have been said any better. I've been tussling with this thing as long as I can remember. Mine has the rear AC and it still isn't sufficient to cool the car down and I can only imagine that the single AC cars are worse.

My Cars
    83 633csi, 87 325is
    So did BMW ever put a good A/C system in any of the sixers?

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWFever View Post
    I would 'like' this if I could...

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast