Thread: EWS not recognized according to GT1, car will not crank/start

My Cars
    98 AW M3/2/5

EWS not recognized according to GT1, car will not crank/start

Upon installing my turbo and tune, I am getting around to starting the car, however it does not even crank. Electronics work and fuel pump is active. Hooked up to a GT1 tool and it states "Cannot communicate to EWS control unit".

Here is some info found so far:

• Running a tune which disables EWS (98 M3, MS41)
    • DME fires up in another car just fine
    • Car can start if starter is by-passed
    • Can start if EWS is by-passed
    • Battery currently reads 11.6v
    • Randomly it starts, but most of the time it does not

Any ideas?

Right now the only way to have it start consistently is when the EWS module is removed completely. Is there a downside to this security wise? From what I understand even if EWS is disabled within the DME it still has some sort of security vs completely removed from being easily hot wired, stolen, etc.

2006 CB M3/2/SMG
    1998 AW M3/2/GT35R

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Pm flyfishvt. He knows that ews stuff well.

Maybe just coincidence with jumping a bad starter.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1998 e36
    sounds like key transponder is inconsistent. I would just bypass the EWS module. Ask yourself how many times did you notice a thief opening your M3 and thrashing the key slot?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by ///dean View Post
    Upon installing my turbo and tune, I am getting around to starting the car, however it does not even crank. Electronics work and fuel pump is active. Hooked up to a GT1 tool and it states "Cannot communicate to EWS control unit". Here is some info found so far:[*]Running a tune which disables EWS (98 M3, MS41)[*]DME fires up in another car just fine[*]Car can start if starter is by-passed[*]Can start if EWS is by-passed[*]Battery currently reads 11.6v[*]Randomly it starts, but most of the time it does not Any ideas? Right now the only way to have it start consistently is when the EWS module is removed completely. Is there a downside to this security wise? From what I understand even if EWS is disabled within the DME it still has some sort of security vs completely removed from being easily hot wired, stolen, etc.
    The only part of this that doesn't make sense is why the car starts with the ews module removed. Short lesson on ews2. Insert key and turn it to start. The ews ring on the ignition housing energizes the key chip. The code in the chip is transmitted to the ews module and compared to the code inside the ews module. If they match the starter is enabled and the next step occurs. The ews module communicates with the DME and looks for the ISN (individual serial number). If the ISN matches the ISN in the ews module the fuel injectors and coils are enabled and your car starts.

When you eliminate ews in the DME you are eliminating step 2. That's why the DME can be used in any car. It still needs the key chip code and ews codes to match. Unless the starter interlock is bypassed. Look at the connector for the ews module. You'll see 2 wires that are much thicker than the rest. These are for the starter. Cut those 2 wires and wire nut the 2 harness ends together. Put a wire nut on the 2 connector ends just for safety. This effectively bypasses the first step of the ews system. Your DME has ews flashed out so step 2 is also eliminated. The car should start every time.

Or you can just remove the ews module but once again I'm stumped as to why the car starts without it. Or you can send me your ews module and I can make a new chip for your key. If the new chip doesn't fix it then it's probably an issue with the ews ring or the ews transmitter that the ews ring plugs into. You can swap out the ring and transmitter from any e36. They don't need any recoding or reprogramming

Or just take out the ews module

My Cars
    98 AW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    sounds like key transponder is inconsistent. I would just bypass the EWS module. Ask yourself how many times did you notice a thief opening your M3 and thrashing the key slot?
    Point taken and agreed. However, there's always a first time. And that's when I'd hope to rely on the EWS feature. Does disabling both now make my M a Honda Civic like "stealable" vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    The only part of this that doesn't make sense is why the car starts with the ews module removed.

When you eliminate ews in the DME you are eliminating step 2. That's why the DME can be used in any car. It still needs the key chip code and ews codes to match. Unless the starter interlock is bypassed. Look at the connector for the ews module. You'll see 2 wires that are much thicker than the rest. These are for the starter. Cut those 2 wires and wire nut the 2 harness ends together. Put a wire nut on the 2 connector ends just for safety. This effectively bypasses the first step of the ews system. Your DME has ews flashed out so step 2 is also eliminated. The car should start every time.

Or you can just remove the ews module but once again I'm stumped as to why the car starts without it. Or you can send me your ews module and I can make a new chip for your key. If the new chip doesn't fix it then it's probably an issue with the ews ring or the ews transmitter that the ews ring plugs into. You can swap out the ring and transmitter from any e36. They don't need any recoding or reprogramming
    Good info you've provided, thanks. I may have misspoke when I said EWS 'removed'. I believe it was removed but also bypassed via wiring as you've mentioned. So what I'm taking away from you post is there are 2 levels of EWS security...key/module and DME. As my tune eliminates the DME side, I've also just eliminated the physical side in bypassing the EWS module. Having said that it looks like DME disable is still better than both being disabled which leads me to my concern I've asked hakentt....is the car now easy to hot-wire or start via screwdriver in the ignition?

2006 CB M3/2/SMG
    1998 AW M3/2/GT35R

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Right now the only anti theft protection you have is the door locks. If that bothers you then you can reinstall the EWS module and reconnect the cut wires. That disables the starter

My Cars
    98 AW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Right now the only anti theft protection you have is the door locks. If that bothers you then you can reinstall the EWS module and reconnect the cut wires. That disables the starter
    Unfortunately it's what i thought. I wish it were that simple but that would put me back to square one of not starting. May have to think about an aftermarket alarm.

2006 CB M3/2/SMG
    1998 AW M3/2/GT35R