Thread: Power Door locks quit working.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5

Power Door locks quit working.

Hello, I drive a 98 sedan and ive owned it for 3 years with no electrical issues what so ever. Today after driving to work, i get out open the trunk grab my bag, go back to the driver door to lock the car and nothing.... The driver door locked manually obviously but the rest of the locks did not do anything. My windows still work but the auto up window function when you lock the car does not work anymore. I quickly glanced at the fuses and did not find a problem. Any ideas?? Could the control module be screwed? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Glanced at the fuses? Always check voltage on both sides of the fuse where it makes contact to the female side of the fuse box, if you can't install the spare with the same amperage.

My Cars
    2010 335i; 1998 M3/4/5
    I see two issues, here, but don't yet have a clear picture of what is happening: First, the driver's door lock isn't working, and second, the window's auto-up function doesn't work when the car is locked?

"go back to the driver door to lock the car and nothing...."

What does that mean? Did you try locking the driver's door with the key in the door handle tumbler or by using the key fob?

If the driver's door didn't lock using the key fob, you probably need to replace the actuator in that door. They freeze up over time.

#11 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_0940

If the door didn't lock from the tumbler, then there's a problem with the lock mechanism on the handle (easy fix), or if using the tumbler didn't lock all the doors, then there's a problem with the central locking mechanism (PITA).

Window auto up feature I'm at a loss. Are you saying that if the windows are down, they auto up if you lock the car?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by StarvinMarvin View Post
    Are you saying that if the windows are down, they auto up if you lock the car?
    Yes. If you lock the car with the key and hold it in the lock position all the windows will close. On my vert with a fully auto roof if the top is completely down it will raise up completely as if I was pressing the UP button.

Before you jump to any conclusions here you need to do a test. All the doors should lock if you use the key in the trunk, passenger door or drivers door. We already know the drivers door doesn't work. Try it in the trunk and the passenger door. If you get all the doors to lick in either or both of those then your problem is a faulty lock actuator in the drivers door.

By all means inspect and test all the fuses.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Thanks for the help, once I got home I further inspected my fuses and found fuse number 7 blown. Replaced it and all works. Not sure what caused it to blow... Gonna check the trunk harness this weekend for any broken or exposed wires.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Lucky for you. Replacing the actuator is one of the more frustrating PITA jobs I've done. Hopefully never again.