Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back in a BMW - Estoril M3

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Very nice. Keep up the great work.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Nice to see an Estoril without dove grey leather. (read: grey interior plastics/dash). Looks so much better with everything in black.

You already had the Motorsport sills? Last time I checked these were NLA. Unless some vendor had some left.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    98 M3
    Motorsport sills are still available from the dealer last I checked. One of the few left of the awesome parts!

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive F30
    Car has come a way! Looks beautiful! Always have and will will love e36 M3s.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Motorsport sills are still available from the dealer last I checked. One of the few left of the awesome parts!
    See it now. Just realized I mixed it up with the side badges. But damn, another part with a big price increase. Don't know exactly, but I paid much less for them back in 2010.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    98 M3
    They seem to fluctuate tons. I paid $130 for the pair a little over a year ago from the dealer. Since then I've seen them as high as $340

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    F30 '14 328i Msport
    Looking good!

My Cars
    1995 DV M3
    Great car, subbed.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    Omg sell me you mulberry
    Ha yeah I was pretty pumped to find this combo. I would love to find a set of mint manual mulberry vaders but I think I have better chances of finding a leprechaun.

There is some light cracks on the drivers headrest and bolster from southern state sun I'm guessing. No one has an exact Mulberry (N5MQ) dye so I ordered an close as they could get with a color adjusting kit. I did this on my daily GTI from the same place (Leatherworld technologies) with good results, especially when the entire seat doesn't need to be repaired. Will try to get some before/after pics as it's one of the few interior spots showing age.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed Sump View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Ha yeah I was pretty pumped to find this combo. I would love to find a set of mint manual mulberry vaders but I think I have better chances of finding a leprechaun.

There is some light cracks on the drivers headrest and bolster from southern state sun I'm guessing. No one has an exact Mulberry (N5MQ) dye so I ordered an close as they could get with a color adjusting kit. I did this on my daily GTI from the same place (Leatherworld technologies) with good results, especially when the entire seat doesn't need to be repaired. Will try to get some before/after pics as it's one of the few interior spots showing age.
    About to embark on the same journey myself. Was going to have furniture clinic do the dye match but curious how the leather world tech stuff looks and will hold up. Subbed for pics

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Started on the headrest to test my color matching skills as they are technically still stocked by some dealers, of course I forgot the before pics but here's an edit of one of my previous interior shots:

You can see the cracking and tan/white on the right side of the headrest as well as on the bottom of the lobes.

I started with the N6TT BMW gray from LeatherWorld, which is the BMW standard medium gray. It was pretty close to start but a little light and a little too blue. So the color matching kit from LWT I experimented with about 5 batches and small dabs + hairdryer on the underside of the headrest. Best combo seemed to be about .25oz of the dye, 2 small drops of black to darken and an even smaller drop of red to tint in in the right direction. Yellow turned it too brown. I used a little of their finish filler on the deeper cracks (never used that before) but didn't want to fill completely as I've seen some dye jobs before and it looks too obvious if the surface is made totally smooth.

Mulberry is such an interesting color, it varies throughout the interior and even on panels. So after letting everything dry (speeding up with a hairdryer was no problem) you can see in the pics below it's pretty close, however I think I'm going to make another batch a bit darker and try to replicate some of the factory variance the is present in the center of the headrest. They recommend not conditioning for 72 hours so maybe that will add some variance as well.

But I'm confident enough now to touch up the rest of the seats and will post pics when that's all done but probably not for a few days.
    Last edited by Zed Sump; 07-13-2017 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3
    So good to see this car cared for properly! Beautiful M3!

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Started on the headrest to test my color matching skills as they are technically still stocked by some dealers, of course I forgot the before pics but here's an edit of one of my previous interior shots:

You can see the cracking and tan/white on the right side of the headrest as well as on the bottom of the lobes.

I started with the N6TT BMW gray from LeatherWorld, which is the BMW standard medium gray. It was pretty close to start but a little light and a little too blue. So the color matching kit from LWT I experimented with about 5 batches and small dabs + hairdryer on the underside of the headrest. Best combo seemed to be about .25oz of the dye, 2 small drops of black to darken and an even smaller drop of red to tint in in the right direction. Yellow turned it too brown. I used a little of their finish filler on the deeper cracks (never used that before) but didn't want to fill completely as I've seen some dye jobs before and it looks too obvious if the surface is made totally smooth.

Mulberry is such an interesting color, it varies throughout the interior and even on panels. So after letting everything dry (speeding up with a hairdryer was no problem) you can see in the pics below it's pretty close, however I think I'm going to make another batch a bit darker and try to replicate some of the factory variance the is present in the center of the headrest. They recommend not conditioning for 72 hours so maybe that will add some variance as well.

But I'm confident enough now to touch up the rest of the seats and will post pics when that's all done but probably not for a few days.

So just to clarify, which part has been redyed on the headrest

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    So just to clarify, which part has been redyed on the headrest
    That righthand side and the bottom of both lobes. I am finishing up full front seats today and will take some daylight pics.

My Cars
    2013 328i, 1999 M3 Vert
    Congrats! Great pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Well replaced the cabin filter (pain the ass and it was disgustingly dirty). Then of course the one other time I got intermittent blower motor deal, did not want to work after initial filter test. So ordered a FSU/Blower resistor after some searching. Delayed the leather project a bit but should be able to condition and take some pics this week. Did get a few other things done waiting for dye to dry.

New fuel boot and cleaned that area up (it was a mess):

Replaced lower window seal and trunk seal and did the trunk jams. The trunk seal contact as there was a black ring from the old seal on the paint as well:
    Last edited by Zed Sump; 07-13-2017 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Finished the leather finally after travelling for work. Think it turned out great and got the color match spot on. Can still see some creasing on the drivers side but looks more natural imo, having no white cracks is what I was really after.
    Last edited by Zed Sump; 07-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Beautiful find!

Question for you, did you replace the trunk seal because of the contact ring or did not because the rinv indicated that it was still sealing?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Your doves really make mine look like a pile of crap and that I should throw them in the garbage.

()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Finished the leather finally after travelling for work. Think it turned out great and got the color match spot on. Can still see some creasing on the drivers side but looks more natural imo, having no white cracks is what I was really after.

Did you use any crack filler? Whats your experience with it?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Your doves really make mine look like a pile of crap and that I should throw them in the garbage.

That's not dove.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Beautiful find!

Question for you, did you replace the trunk seal because of the contact ring or did not because the rinv indicated that it was still sealing?
    I'm replacing most everything that is rubber that isn't 100%. I did the rear window seals too so far. 17 year old rubber that wasn't treated periodically will just wear out. Luckily the big door seals that are 300+ bucks are in good shape. I need to do the pop out window inner seal but that's a project I need to save up some patience for!

Did you use any crack filler? Whats your experience with it?
    I did use the finish filler on the outside of the drivers headrest as the cracks were really deep. Went on white and dried clear, it was harder to match the color on those spots. One of my earlier pics of the headrest it's the outside of the right lobe where I used it. I might go back and use a touch on the creases on the drivers side but I'll probably leave it as I have a bunch of other projects I want to do. My main forte is paint correction so want to get started on that before I store her for winter.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    That's not dove.
    There is no such thing as Dove to begin with. It's called Light Grey with code N5TT. Dove is just some made up BS like Vaders (which are just Coupe Sport seats, not to be confused with sedan sport seats). Even if "Dove" is the accepted term, the E46 M3 guys have stolen for describing their N5TT which is closer to mulberry than the E36 Light grey.

Anthracite M cloth + Amaretta - B4AT - BG91, BG92

Anthracite M-Cross cloth + Amaretta - D8AT - BG91, BG92, BG93

Grey M cloth + Amaretta - B4TT - BG91, BG92

Grey M-Cross cloth + Amaretta - D8TT - BG91, BG92, BG93

Black Nappa leather - N5SW - BG91, BG92, BG93, BK91, BK92, BK93, BK03, CD91, CD92, CD93, CD03

Black extended Nappa leather - L7SW - BG91, BG92, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92, CD98

Light Grey Nappa leather - N5TT - BG91, BG92, BG93, BK91, BK92, BK93, BK03, CD91, CD92, CD93, CD03

Light Grey extended Nappa leather - L7TT - BG91, BG92, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92, CD98

Modena Natur Nappa leather - N5AY - BG91, BG92, BG93, BK91, BK92, BK93, BK03, CD91, CD92, CD93, CD03

Modena Natur extended Nappa leather - L7AY - BG91, BG92, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92

Magma Nappa leather - N5AX - BG93, BK93, BK03, CD93, CD03

Magma extended Nappa leather - L7AX - BG91, BG92, BG93, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92

Sand Beige Nappa leather - N5SN - BG93, BK93, BK03

Classic Red Nappa leather - N5GD - BG91, BG92, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92

Classic Red extended Nappa leather - L7GD - BG91, BG92, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92

Mulberry Nappa leather - N5MQ - BG93, BK93, BK03, CD93, CD03

Mulberry extended Nappa leather - L7MQ - BG91, BG92, BG93, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92, CD98

Hazelnut extended Nappa leather - L7HS - BG91, BG92, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92

Violet Blue extended Nappa leather - L7MA - BG91, BG92, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92

Champagne extended Nappa leather - L7CM - CD98

Anthracite extended Buffalo leather - M7AT - BG91, BG92, BK91, BK92, CD91, CD92
    Excellent progress OP!

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    There is no such thing as Dove to begin with. It's called Light Grey with code N5TT. Dove is just some made up BS like Vaders (which are just Coupe Sport seats, not to be confused with sedan sport seats). Even if "Dove" is the accepted term, the E46 M3 guys have stolen for describing their N5TT which is closer to mulberry than the E36 Light grey.

Excellent progress OP!
    Yes, I'm aware of that. I mean that OP's interior is no light Grey, but Mulberry. At least thats how it looks on my phone. I could be wrong.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post

Excellent progress OP!
    Thanks! E46 N5TT is actually what I started with before mixing on my dye job to get to Mulberry. Cars been collecting a bit of dust between work/baby life. But I did finally find a set of somewhat beat OEM contours! (My stock rears have rash already as well)

So fully refinished 8.5" square set with 245/40 Pilot Super Sports inbound.

People don't seem to be big fans on contours. I think the square setup matches the cars lines quite well.

Last edited by Zed Sump; 07-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast