Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hillclimb Racecar turbo E36 M3 Build

My Cars
    Out of Service
    I don't personally think heat would be an issue on the coupler. Many of people with a SPA manifold ran over the subframe piping with a coupler without any issues

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Took a break from fitting engine and driveline to get the interior painted. I wanted to get it done before it got hot out because there is nothing worse than grinding, sanding and painting in confined spaces in the heat! Turned out decent, but took so darn long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    95 M3 blk/blk - hillclimb project - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1798796 - Retired to street duty after two awesome seasons!
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Looks so good!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Sweet job on the all aluminum under the manifold to take the heat. I have a coupler under there and go through 1 or so a year. They eventually get hard from getting so hot and split. Yours looks really solid.

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Thanks! I felt with how hard it will be run, it should be a bit more reliable without a coupler under there. But being this is my first turbo build i only really know what i read on the forums so ive been trying to weigh all the opinions on a few different subjects.

Here are a few more progress pics although some of these things occurred a few months ago.

Front and rear subframe reinforcement.

Rtab pocket reinforcement

Both shock towers were repaired in the past and one was done well and the other looked like doodoo. I could have left them as-is but i deceided to drill the spot weld and replace the whole stamped piece.

96 328i ITR Racecar
    95 M3 blk/blk - hillclimb project - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1798796 - Retired to street duty after two awesome seasons!
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Replaced all rear ball joints and wheels bearings. The axles were so seized in the hub it took all 20 tons along with a bunch of heat to break them free. The press bunny hopped 1-2" off the ground when it finally let go!

Because Im cheap and need to save whenever I can I pressed out the old ball joints and pressed in the Lemforder E30 joints.

Dual fuel pumps for track use to prevent starvation.

3 years ago I purchased a wrecked 92 325is track car for $1200. That was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I got a set of SSR wheels, GC track suspension, Turner sway bars, JBR flywheel and clutch setup, Kirkey seat, VDO gauges, 3.15 LSD, fresh looking M50NV, Euro oil filter housing, (cooler was junk) and some other stuff. Ive had these SPC camber arms sitting on the shelf for a while and decided to use them for this project but they are the older version that suffer from the bushing backing out of the bore. I called SPC and they offer a sealed bearing that could be used instead for $40! The downside is these arms are very heavy. Between the turbo, manifold, intercooler and piping this thing better make some power to make up for all the darn weight that it is adding

Parts are actually going back on the car!!! Another upside of putting parts on the car is gaining garage space back

Last edited by bimmerbumm193; 05-22-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Which direction does coolant flow in the throttle body lines that are commonly used for the turbo coolant lines. Does the coolant flow from the head (to turbo) to the lower metal pipe.... Or from the metal pipe ( to turbo) into the head port. The efr directions state flow should enter the bottom port of the turbo and exit the top port is why im asking.

96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Does anyone know which direction the coolant flows in the throttle body coolant circuit?
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    e30
    Unfortunately I dont have an M5x engine so I cant say for sure. I believe the coolant flow in the E36 based M5x engines went from the engine block to the head. I assume the coolant from the block is the feed and the line to the head is the return.

The M54/M52tu prioritized coolant flow to the head where its needed most. This makes me believe flow from the block is primary on E36.

hopefully that gives you something to go on. Look into M50 vs M54 coolant flow and you will probably find better descriptions.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Uggg, so close yet so far away! My hopes of completing the project for a hillclimb this weekend might be slipping away. have to do final welding on exhaust and charge piping, install 02, wideband, and waste gate lines and might be able to fire up tomorrow or wed! Then there are 20 more track car related things that need to happen like kill switch, bleed brakes, fire extinguisher, roll bar padding, roll fenders.......

96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    1993 325is
    That's gonna be freekin' loud!!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Looks like fun, Hill climbs are freaking awesome

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Started her up last night and it idles great! Gonna take it for a drive tonight, but im not liking how low the clutch is engaging. I just read a thing on the boosted facebook page about a few people having low engagement with the fx racing stuff.
    But i am using a jbr flywheel with the stage 4 fx unsprung clutch...i wonder if that is a disaster waiting to happen?
    Im gonna drive it first but my gut is telling me the enagement is wrong so first step is replace the high milage slave and line for a known good pair of my other car.

96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Amazing!! That rusty brake caliper would drive me nuts
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Drove it for the first time to work today....in the rain....on worn out 225. Tried to get into boost once or twice and AFRS seemed to be trending in the right direction but lost traction by 3500 in the rain and nearly pooped myself. Im not sure how I am going to be able to do a solid 3rd or 4th gear pull to test the AFRs between now and tomorrow if its gonna be wet all day. Im leaving work early to get an alignment, then have to roll fenders to fit the hoosiers, install fire extinguisher and nut and bolt the car before registration tonight at 8PM! I am still skeptical something is going to go wrong.

1. I usually run mobil 1 15-50 in my racecars, but should I run something lighter for the turbo?
    2. Im still concerned about my oil drain. When is the car more likely to smoke at Idle or WOT? I didnt really notice any smoke at idle and during my short drive but it was pretty short drive and I was not able to go WOT. If it does start to smoke some is it really bad to beat on it for an 80 second hillclimb run?

Last edited by bimmerbumm193; 06-23-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I have been running mobil 1 10-40 in my turbo drift car for a few years and all is well. I think either will work fine for your hillclimb.

It likely wont have any smoke issues. The SPA mounts the turbo pretty high. I overfill my engine and still never have an issue with oil drain with a SPA.

Good luck!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Super clean interior. Part of me wants to rip my carpet and stuff out and have it look like this.

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Dude.. don't push the car until it's sorted. You run lean under WOT in 3rd.. you're building a motor. Ask me how I know.

Car is sick though. Keep up the good work!
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Hillclimb Racecar turbo E36 M3 Build

Thanks. Well, I know how important it is not to push the car until its sorted so I drove it a few miles and attempted to do a few pulls to check mixture and it appeared to be good (so I thought). This was on friday morning and hillclimb registration was on friday night. I thrashed all friday, rolling fenders, installing fire extinguisher and finishing up details to make it to the event.

I thought I had 14 PSI springs in both wastegastes but apparently I have a 7 PSI in the external one...but Im glad I did. I had traction problems in 4th gear with my worn out 245 hoosier A7s at 120MPH and it was scary as hell!

After running I checked my logging AEM meter and apparently it is going lean above 5500 RPM - eek;(. It didnt blow it up and it still runs but so maybe I got lucky for now. I sent the file to my tuner to see what they think.

It was kind of a going-for-broke situation. I am entered into the Mt. Washington hillclimb that takes place in two weeks and I NEEDED to race the car before then to figure out any bugs it had before I tow 10 hours to the biggest event I have ever competed in.

So I guess its a fuel pressure issue, so maybe I should just install a new walbro 255 (installed one is 2 years old) and install my aeromotive FPR and see what that does.

Video shows a tad of smoking while turning which is kind of what I was expecting due to the gravity drain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8LdYlM_1g

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5y8LdYlM_1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by bimmerbumm193; 06-26-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    So tuner is on vacation for a few days so Id like to make sure my hardware is proper for the next time I talk to him. I would like to test fuel pressure at high RPMS to rule that out as the problem but need to figure out how to do it. I guess I can run a gauge into the car and video it as I drive it. The installed walbro 255 is about two years old but only has about 10 events on it. I am still using the stock FPR, but I do have an aermotive one ready to go if needed.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    put a pressure gauge on your feed line.. any gauge will do... put it somewhere you can see and go for a rip.. record pressure vs boost and you'll see if it's a supply issue or not.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    its most likely because you have a pump on either side of the tank. Mine works like shit. When the tank gets moderately low, it pulls air. Im putting a cross over in it because the factory jet pump blows goats.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Quote Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
    its most likely because you have a pump on either side of the tank. Mine works like shit. When the tank gets moderately low, it pulls air. Im putting a cross over in it because the factory jet pump blows goats.
    I wonder if we have the same setup. I have dual pumps just to prevent starvation on sweeping turns. I just copied the bimmerworld starvation kit. There is a stock fuel pump on the drives side that just dumps fuel on top of the walbro pump on the passenger side. The walbro pump feeds the rail and the rail return goes back to the stock drivers side pump.
    Is this the way you have it and have a problem? I used this method in my supercharged car for 2 years with 0 problems and can run the car till the light comes on.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Successful two days of practice at Mt. Washington! Race day is tomorrow, come on out if you are in the new England area!

96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerbumm193 View Post

Successful two days of practice at Mt. Washington! Race day is tomorrow, come on out if you are in the new England area!

This whole time I had no idea you were up here in the new England area. I would've went up to see the car. Wow.

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast