Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hillclimb Racecar turbo E36 M3 Build

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Awesome!
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Im from PA, but came up here just to run this event.

The turbo is running strong and at only 7 psi its pretty damn quick out of the corners! The 1 mile of dirt is down right terrifying on slicks though! Kids got to meet travis Pastrana, very nice guy. Pastrana and Higgens are unbelievable to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    95 M3 blk/blk - hillclimb project - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1798796 - Retired to street duty after two awesome seasons!
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    86 325es
    I used to course marshal and tech inspect for a regional Rally America event in northern Minnesota. Travis Pastrana Tanner Faust, and Ken Block raced at the time and a few other teams with national sponsorship would come as well as a bunch of local self funded teams. It was just mind blowing how fast Faust, Block and Pastrana were on dirt compared to everyone else. It was like a 200 mile rally course on logging roads and they would finish 25 minutes ahead of everybody.
    Last edited by someguy2800; 07-08-2017 at 08:52 PM.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    I used to course marshal and tech inspect for a regional Rally America event in northern Minnesota. Travis Pastrana Tanner Faust, and Ken Block raced at the time and a few other teams with national sponsorship would come as well as a bunch of local self funded teams. It was just mind blowing how fast Faust, Block and Pastrana were on dirt compared to everyone else. It was like a 200 mile rally course on logging roads and they would finish 25 minutes ahead of everybody.
    Heck yeah, those guys skills are from another planet!

Weekend was successful, nothing broke and the car ran flawlessly...plus I didnt crash!

Im still trying to gather all my videos and pictures for a full report.

Also I am ready to turn up the boost and by throwing in a different wastegate spring in the external gate (internal still has a 14psi...but i cant get to it if I wanted to change it, lol). It may sound crazy but I am so over spending money and time on this car I dont even want to purchase and install a boost controller and will just run on wastegate spring until I gain some more motivation.

What is a safe pressure to run on a S52 stock bottom end with spacer and cutring? With a 7 psi spring it seems to initially spike up to 10 PSI then taper down to 7 at higher RPM. So I was thinking a 12-14 spring should be safe and about 400-450 whp? When it spikes it will also finally open my internal gate so hopefully it wont spike to much higher...well that was kind of the point of having both gates, we will see.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    95 M3 blk/blk - hillclimb project - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1798796 - Retired to street duty after two awesome seasons!
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    e36 325
    Die you have any problems with turbo lag? Or did it respond well like everybody said?

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    I have never driven a turbo e36 other than this car I just built so I dont have much to compare to other than my supercharged car from last year. I will say that the on/off throttle response with this turbo is excellent. Flying down a windy third gear chicane section that required constant on/off throttle feathering, the boost was always there when needed. The first few runs I thought the car felt sluggish exiting slow 2nd gear corners but I think this was because the RPMs were too low and combined with the low compression it felt slow. I just needed to relearn how to drive it and make sure to keep the revs about 3500 and it was always in boost and responsive.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Im gonna head to the dyno on saturday so I can play with turning up the boost. Id like to be prepared and order either a manual controller or different wastegate springs. What PSI should I shoot for, for about 450-475 whp on my 9.0:1 s52 with 3" exhaust? I am kind of hung-up on running on wastegate only for some dumb reason because I think it might be a bit more linear as some pressure is bled off approaching the spring pressure...or is that a dumb idea? Is there any other method of reducing torque and increasing horsepower to save my stock bottom end?
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    e30
    A boost controller can adjust boost by RPM and gear. The more RPM the more boost which is easier on the bottom end as you can start smaller and keep the tq curve flat by increasing boost. You can also reduce boost in lower gears to save the drivetrain, ect.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

Great Job. car looks sick!
    1998 Turbo M3 Nick G tuned setting 5 934Whp 849Wtq @27.88 Psi. ignite E90 setting 6=

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Quote Originally Posted by SM3 View Post
    Great Job. car looks sick!
    Thanks!

96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Went to the dyno on Saturday. It runs good an makes power but there is a nasty boost spike right when boost hits. I am currently just using a Turbosmart manual boost controller so maybe that is the problem. The manual controller has a restricted orifice on the inlet barb that is RIDICULOUSLY small diameter, like 1 mm or less. How the heck can enough flow go through that tiny orifice and then move two wastegates? I guess I need to pony-up and actually purchase a EBC....I guess?

The run above was at about 14 PSI, but it would spike really hard at about 3600 RPM to 21-23PSI

The run above is the same 15 psi setting but you can see the wheels spun at the spike.

This was the first run after adding a few turns to the boost controller. Boost to 14 and settling to 10pSI

The graph above is from one of the 500hp runs, spike to 21-22 then settling at 14psi.

https://youtu.be/vUjDwQ-LnOk

Last edited by bimmerbumm193; 07-25-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    How much boost for that dyno run?

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    How much boost for that dyno run?
    15 psi for the 500 hp run, i was adding text while you replied.

96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    What gearing are you currently running?

Numbers look solid, would love to see what it could do on e85!

My Cars
    98 m3
    Are you concerned with how fat the afrs are?

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerbumm193 View Post
    Went to the dyno on Saturday. It runs good an makes power but there is a nasty boost spike right when boost hits. I am currently just using a Turbosmart manual boost controller so maybe that is the problem. The manual controller has a restricted orifice on the inlet barb that is RIDICULOUSLY small diameter, like 1 mm or less. How the heck can enough flow go through that tiny orifice and then move two wastegates? I guess I need to pony-up and actually purchase a EBC....I guess?

The graph above is from one of the 500hp runs, spike to 21-22 then settling at 14psi.

https://youtu.be/vUjDwQ-LnOk

It looks like you're running some sort of standalone ECU? Why not just use it for boost control?

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Hillclimb Racecar turbo E36 M3 Build

Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    It looks like you're running some sort of standalone ECU? Why not just use it for boost control?
    Nah, using the stock MS41 with Technica tune

Are you concerned with how fat the afrs are?

I have concern but not sure if they are too lean or too rich. I used my wideband sensor and connected it to the dyno. Since we couldnt have the sensor connected to my logging AFR gauge and the dyno I did one 10 PSI run to get some data on my guage and the rest with the sensor connected to the dyno to give the AFRs on the dyno plot. The picture of the AEM data at 10 PSI shows the afrs sloping down to 10.5 but if you look at the dyno plot (look at pic below) the AFRs actually start lean and slope down to 11.5. Now this isnt comparing apples to apples because of the diffrent boost pressures so I dont know if is something to be concerned about or if it is because we plugged in my sensor to a different machine and they are not calibrated together.

What gearing are you currently running?

Numbers look solid, would love to see what it could do on e85!

Thanks, yeah E85 would be great...but one step at a time, lol. I am running the stock 3.23.
    Last edited by bimmerbumm193; 07-26-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    BTW - are you sure the IWG is EXACTLY centered on the bracket? When I first installed my EFR, I had the WG slightly off center, and figured no big deal. Ran fine when cooler, then when things heated up, the WG rod would catch on the bracket and make it spike before it got enough force to open it. I clocked things to get a better angle on the WG rod and problem was solved.

But yea, if the MBC is a ball and spring valve, it will tend to have lots of overshoot as you come into boost. EFRs respond so quickly down there, it tends to magnify the problem.

Are you hearing both WGs open at about the same time, or does it sound like one is delayed when you get the spike?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerbumm193 View Post

I have concern but not sure if they are too lean or too rich. I used my wideband sensor and connected it to the dyno. Since we couldnt have the sensor connected to my logging AFR gauge and the dyno I did one 10 PSI run to get some data on my guage and the rest with the sensor connected to the dyno to give the AFRs on the dyno plot. The picture of the AEM data at 10 PSI shows the afrs sloping down to 10.5 but if you look at the dyno plot (look at pic below) the AFRs actually start lean and slope down to 11.5. Now this isnt comparing apples to apples because of the diffrent boost pressures so I dont know if is something to be concerned about or if it is because we plugged in my sensor to a different machine and they are not calibrated together.
    Analog 0-5V outputs are very, very sensitive to ground connections... so the answer is, it depends on how it was connected to the dyno computer/stack. Also was the calibration of the analog input done correctly?

In any case the data on the gauge itself should be more accurate than the analog out.

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Analog 0-5V outputs are very, very sensitive to ground connections... so the answer is, it depends on how it was connected to the dyno computer/stack. Also was the calibration of the analog input done correctly?

In any case the data on the gauge itself should be more accurate than the analog out.
    I agree that the my gauge is probably more accurate. I didnt use the gauge output 0-5v, we connected the sensor directly to his dyno using the sensors plug since they used the same plugs.

96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    BTW - are you sure the IWG is EXACTLY centered on the bracket? When I first installed my EFR, I had the WG slightly off center, and figured no big deal. Ran fine when cooler, then when things heated up, the WG rod would catch on the bracket and make it spike before it got enough force to open it. I clocked things to get a better angle on the WG rod and problem was solved.

But yea, if the MBC is a ball and spring valve, it will tend to have lots of overshoot as you come into boost. EFRs respond so quickly down there, it tends to magnify the problem.

Are you hearing both WGs open at about the same time, or does it sound like one is delayed when you get the spike?
    Oh boy, you had to bring up the wastegate bracket, what a pain in the butt! In order to run the piping over the subframe i had to modify the wastegate bracket to make room for the outlet eblow. I knew its alignment was very important so once i clocked the turbo I knew I had X amount of space to work with and painstakingly spot welded, installed, checked alignment, and repeated that process until I got it aligned where it could actuate properly. But may I should recheck it. I have about 1-2 degree of movement that I can reclock to the center section to possibly relieve some sideways tension(if its there) on the wastegate arm. But Im gonna try some other things first as I think I have to take the engine out to do that!

The manual boost controller is a turbosmart, which I believe is a bleed type. It does have a ball and spring in there but that is just for the "overshoot" tuning. I tried it with the ball and spring in and out and it didnt make a difference.

I personally cant tell when both wastegates open as the car is so freaking loud. Jacob mentioned to me in a PM that the cracking pressure of the 14PSI IWG is lower than the set pressure. So when I was running on just wastegate spring the gate would open at 10 and then taper to 7 partially because I only had two turns of preload the IWG. This means the EWG was not opening at all at that point. Once I added the MBC and shot for 14-15psi it spiked way higher, but maybe lowering the EWG spring would help as the set pressure was so close to the EWG spring pressure.

I think I need to try some things first before I get back to you guys. One is shorten the line to the EWG, its probably 6 feet long because I was trying to avoid going close to the manifold. Maybe lower the EWG spring from 14 to 7 while using the MBC. Then order and install a EBC. Maybe fiddle with the IWG preload or try to see if it is binding like Jacob said.

Last edited by bimmerbumm193; 07-26-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    e36m3/4/5, e46330i
    Just saw your car in the Hoonigans drivers wanted special at Mt. Washington.

@13:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ftRUY1M-yw

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I also clearanced the WG bracket middle hole some with a die grinder to open it up a tad. Not sure why it's so tight other than I guess they really don't want someone installing the WG actuator with side load on it which will shorten its life.

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Hillclimb Racecar turbo E36 M3 Build

Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    I also clearanced the WG bracket middle hole some with a die grinder to open it up a tad. Not sure why it's so tight other than I guess they really don't want someone installing the WG actuator with side load on it which will shorten its life.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I guess i will put the car on the lift and slowly apply compressed air to the actuator and watch it work to make sure it moves smoothly. Then i guess i have to heat it up and try it again.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about the Apexi Avc-r controllers? It seems u can get them used for 250 and they have VSS based boost by gear that i think would benefit me.

96 328i ITR Racecar
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Hacking up your engine harness is a big negative for the install.

I know I harp on this a lot here, but I think it's better to just go standalone when doing an aftermarket turbo build than dying a death of a million piggybacks and trying to make it all work well. I've done both, and having one box that does everything is so much nicer to deal with, not to mention safer. You can also log everything in great detail and not guess on what is going on anymore.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast