Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking into making an MSPNP Pro for the M50 and M52 engines

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    After looking at the Data wires more and the CAN network wires. The CAN network is for the Automatic transmissions and the rest is ISO on OBD2. So yes it has CAN but it's not as integrated as I'd hoped.
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Interested in OBD2, but I have no clue how to tune...

I would be interested in flex fuel sensor, wideband, and boost control capabilities. Not sure what that would cost extra.

Also, and excuse the fact I know zero about MS, but what kind of Temps and pressures can be logged (like fuel press, oil press, oil temp, coolant temps, IAT, boost, etc) and what's the limit of sensors that can be logged

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Sign me up for obd1

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post

I would be interested in flex fuel sensor, wideband, and boost control capabilities. Not sure what that would cost extra.

Also, and excuse the fact I know zero about MS, but what kind of Temps and pressures can be logged (like fuel press, oil press, oil temp, coolant temps, IAT, boost, etc) and what's the limit of sensors that can be logged

Matt said they would have an extra connector on the unit for extra inputs/outputs so all you will need to do is wire them to that extra connector and turn them on in the software. Megasquirt will work with any boost solenoid and all the flex fuel sensors, and of course any wideband. The GM flex fuel sensors are about $100 and just require power ground and signal. A generic boost solenoid is only $30. With both installed you can vary the amount of boost you run based on ethanol percentage.

MS logs every sensor input and also all of its internal calculated data such as injector pulse width ignition timing, 02 correction, acceleration enrichment, literally everything at the same time. If you want to also monitor an additional sensor to log you will just need to wire that sensor to one of the extra analog inputs and then turn it on in the software so it knows what it is. You can then use that sensor input to activate another feature. For example you could log oil pressure and turn on a warning light at >1500 rpm and <15 psi oil pressure.
    Last edited by someguy2800; 06-19-2016 at 07:59 PM.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    '95 M3
    Screw it, put me down for an OBD1.
    Turbo E36 M3 with all the things..

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Matt said they would have an extra connector on the unit for extra inputs/outputs so all you will need to do is wire them to that extra connector and turn them on in the software. Megasquirt will work with any boost solenoid and all the flex fuel sensors, and of course any wideband. The GM flex fuel sensors are about $100 and just require power ground and signal. A generic boost solenoid is only $30.
    I read all the posts after my post. Earlier he said additional sensors may be limited and a microsquirt may be needed. I have a GM sensor already and thanks for the heads up on the solenoid. I was hoping any MAC solenoid would do the trick for boost control. Just curious if I needed to add the micro to get flex fuel, wideband and boost control capabilities or if it was just more for temp/press sensor add on.

I think I'll be in for one of these. When does he need deposit?

My Cars
    86 325es
    I read all the posts after my post. Earlier he said additional sensors may be limited and a microsquirt may be needed. I have a GM sensor already and thanks for the heads up on the solenoid. I was hoping any MAC solenoid would do the trick for boost control. Just curious if I needed to add the micro to get flex fuel, wideband and boost control capabilities or if it was just more for temp/press sensor add on.
    I expanded my response above to include your data logging question. You would only need to add the micro squirt module if you run out of inputs/outputs. Matt said they would have 3 extra analog inputs and at least a few on/off inputs left open. One analog was going to be for MAF and one for atmospheric correction, but you should be able to use those for something else if you don't want to use those. So that would give you the ability to log 3 extra pressure or temp sensors. The flex fuel sensors are frequency so that would use 1 on/off input. You could use the other on/off inputs for boost table switching, launch control, water meth activation, ect...
    Last edited by someguy2800; 06-19-2016 at 08:18 PM.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    I expanded my response above to include your data logging question. You would only need to add the micro squirt module if you run out of inputs/outputs. Matt said they would have 3 extra analog inputs and at least a few on/off inputs left open. One analog was going to be for MAF and one for atmospheric correction, but you should be able to use those for something else if you don't want to use those. So that would give you the ability to log 3 extra pressure or temp sensors. The flex fuel sensors are frequency so that would use 1 on/off input. You could use the other on/off inputs for boost table switching, launch control, water meth activation, ect...
    What maf should be used with ms3?

Cragg is probably like me. I'd want to log oil temp and pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, meth injection, Boost/ electric boost control, IAT, etc.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post

Cragg is probably like me. I'd want to log oil temp and pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, meth injection, Boost/ electric boost control, IAT, etc.
    Yup

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    What maf should be used with ms3? Cragg is probably like me. I'd want to log oil temp and pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, meth injection, Boost/ electric boost control, IAT, etc.
    You can use any maf. I use the PMAS hpx-e maf.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    For boosty reasons I would just do speed density.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    For boosty reasons I would just do speed density.
    That's my plan. The hell with MAF.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Much easier I agree. I wanted the challenge and went the maf route

My Cars
    Out of Service
    +1. MAP base tune for me

Sent from my SM-T707V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Blah soo much research and reading ahead of me.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Blah soo much research and reading ahead of me.
    Beauty of a PNP setup is you can tinker with it and then put the stock one back in and drive it hehe.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Beauty of a PNP setup is you can tinker with it and then put the stock one back in and drive it hehe.
    Yup. Did this when initially setting up ms. It was awesome

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Can you run MAF in vacuum and as soon as in boost MAP takes over ? Or run both in case one goes bad, the ECU will use higher value ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Can you run MAF in vacuum and as soon as in boost MAP takes over ? Or run both in case one goes bad, the ECU will use higher value ?
    Yes you can.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Honestly I don't know why you would want to make it complicated. Map sensors are very reliable and the car runs perfectly well without the maf.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Honestly I don't know why you would want to make it complicated. Map sensors are very reliable and the car runs perfectly well without the maf.
    This. MAF sensors are a PITA on a turbo setup IMO. I've run both for a while FWIW.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    I really, really don't see the obsession of MAF sensors. They're so touchy, especially when used int he blow through config.

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsR View Post
    If I wasn't already waiting for two group buys to finish I would be all over this. Will this be compatible with e85 fuel via optional sensor?
    Yes. We currently don't have the sensor itself, but you can add it. The MS3-Pro flex fuel can blend just about all the fuel and ignition settings except injector dead time for a smooth transition between separate gasoline and E85 tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by NY98M3 View Post
    Will this pass OBD2 readiness for emissions?
    No. But you could swap to the MSPNP Pro at the track and take it out for street driving.

My question is with the CAN lines connected can we have the computer communicate with the ABS module to get wheel speeds for launch control and traction control??
    I can't promise we'll be able to pull this off, but we will look into whether we can get data off the existing data bus.

Not much - you're looking at $189 for our entry level wideband, $53 for our boost control solenoid, and under $100 for a flex fuel sensor. And yes, if you've already got a Mac solenoid, it will do fine for boost control.

IAT, coolant temperature, and MAP sensor (boost) readings are standard, and there's two extra analog channels (the MS3-Pro has three analog channels, but the MSPNP will use one for barometric pressure) that would let you read fuel pressure, oil pressure, o oil temperature. You can add a MicroSquirt IO Box or CAN-EGT module if you need more channels. The limitations generally depend more on the sensor wired to the MS3-Pro than the ECU itself.

Any MAF that can handle your air flow levels, as long as you can get its calibration data. Hot wire types are preferred to flapper or Karmann vortex designs as they're less restrictive. Or if you think there's no MAF like no MAF, you can go speed density and ditch the MAF altogether.

Can you run MAF in vacuum and as soon as in boost MAP takes over ?
    This is called table blending and is supported, but is rather complicated. I wouldn't start off this way.

Or run both in case one goes bad, the ECU will use higher value ?
    Currently we don't support that, but if using just the MAP sensor, the ECU can be set up to detect MAP sensor failure and switch to using a synthesized MAP reading based on RPM and TPS. You will need to do a bit of data logging to figure out what that table should look like.

OK, we have nine people signed up for OBD2. We need one more to start taking deposits, though I'd prefer to wait until we have at least 12 sign-ups to leave room if some people back out.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Maybe Brad wants obd2 PNP ? We need 10 Brad, and your rich, so just buy it.
    Damn you Butters! You know I want to. So little time these days.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    How does this compare to PNP VEMS?

The VEMS is cheaper and available now.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh....php?t=2274298

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast