Thread: '97 BMW 328i Convertible - Buzzing Instrument Cluster

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Vert

'97 BMW 328i Convertible - Buzzing Instrument Cluster

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to post since my googling hasn't come up with an answer.

The instrument cluster is making a weird buzzing sound, Sometimes, I can drive around for half an hour and it won't make a sound. Other times, it buzzes on and off during the entire drive. I think it's easier to replicate if the car is driven for a longer period of time.

Do you guys know what might be the cause? It sounds kind of like the buzz the car makes when you leave your headlights on and take the key out of the ignition.

I've uploaded 3 short videos (a minute or less each) to YouTube that demonstrate this weird buzzing:

Buzz (Airbag Light Flickers): https://youtu.be/IsxvydXzofM

Buzz (Brake Light Flickers): https://youtu.be/TFmiSSM9E_o
    Buzz (Key Turn): https://youtu.be/0R-GYaknkRs

The brake pad sensor was set off somehow a while back but my shop tells me that my brake pads are okay and don't need replacing at this point. I read that you can connect the two wires of the sensor together to turn the light off though.

I'm hoping someone has seen this problem before and can guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    There is a part inside called the "electromechanical annunciator" which makes the blinker tick noises and a buzzing sound for door open lights on (and I think some other things). It sounds as though yours has gone bad or is involved in a short.

I'd pull the cluster and look at the wiring loom for chafed wires. The annunciator shouldn't trip for any of these things, but it definitely sounds like a malfunctioning annunciator. Especially coupled with the blinking lights, it makes me think electrical gremlins.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder2k7 View Post
    There is a part inside called the "electromechanical annunciator" which makes the blinker tick noises and a buzzing sound for door open lights on (and I think some other things). It sounds as though yours has gone bad or is involved in a short.

I'd pull the cluster and look at the wiring loom for chafed wires. The annunciator shouldn't trip for any of these things, but it definitely sounds like a malfunctioning annunciator. Especially coupled with the blinking lights, it makes me think electrical gremlins.
    Old thread I know, but I'm wondering if anyone found the cause of this issue. It recently started in my car. The blinkers often sound distorted now, and sometimes when I brake (weird right?) the instrument cluster will buzz.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    Definitely got chafed wires somewhere bro. Good luck.

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by MazerRackham View Post
    Definitely got chafed wires somewhere bro. Good luck.
    You think chaffed wires in the trunk loom would cause this?

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    Quote Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
    You think chaffed wires in the trunk loom would cause this?
    Its possible. Your best bet would be to start pulling fuses and see if any of them stop the chime. At least you can narrow down where the chafe is.

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by MazerRackham View Post
    Its possible. Your best bet would be to start pulling fuses and see if any of them stop the chime. At least you can narrow down where the chafe is.
    Is it possible or are you just saying that?

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    I think it is very very likely. As much as its chafed wires it could be a bad sensor for the doors. I mean its something electronic and I don't exactly have a multimeter and your car in front of me so I can't tell you exactly what it is.