Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heidi Diaries Part Trois: Bleeding blue in CO

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Wheels aren't my taste, but kudos to giving them a shot. If you're happy, that's all that matters.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by clevertd View Post
    Wheels aren't my taste, but kudos to giving them a shot. If you're happy, that's all that matters.
    The wheels are unconventional and "bold" for me, since I've really only ever rocked OEM wheels. They're pretty fun and tend to get a lot of attention and compliments in person. Cheers buddy!

Plugging that hole in the dash...

I got the Traffic Pro in from Sriufke; I love this thing. I just ordered an Aux to Apple Lightning cable so I can have Aux audio and power for the iPhone, pretty stoked for that set-up. I can't get the radio (FM/AM) to work, but I'm also a noob and haven't spent much time on it yet.

I love not having the problem most people do in an airport parking garage: "Which econo-box/SUV clone is mine?" More accurately in my area, "Which Subaru is mine?"

- Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    94 M5T
    you might need the US map disc to update the unit's firmware. I've got a pdf users manual if you want to pm me an email, it's too big to attach here.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by mottati View Post
    you might need the US map disc to update the unit's firmware. I've got a pdf users manual if you want to pm me an email, it's too big to attach here.
    You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir. PMed you, now I've GOT to get that Nav working
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Don't mind me, just wagoning like a baws. Needs moar S38...

On hand to install:
    -Aux to Apple Lightning cable for the Traffic Pro
    -Carbon Collective ceramic wheel coating for the 1552s (after an Ammo Plum cleaning)
    -PFC .08 (I think) pads

In da mail:
    ​-Turner 75mm bullet studs and black nuts

I'm waiting on the studs before dismounting the wheels/deep wheel clean + ceramic coating application/new brake pads. It's all related since the 1552s are a bit heavy and I like to have lug studs on all of my cars, and the Duralast brake pads are the dustiest/crappiest pads ever, and the 1552s are getting trashed way too fast.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    Those wheels would look great on the car. With a tad more drop.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I agree Corey, I really want something gold on Heidi. In the meantime I may plasti-dip/eventually powder coat the 1552s gold. But I could build a pretty sweet custom RS set-up for an E34 now that I have an RS rebuild under my belt
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    95 525iT
    Pleaseeeeeeee throw those style 5s on the car or plastidipped the 1552s gold. Plzzzzzz

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    ^The mesh wheels are RS, which in their 5x130 bolt pattern are actually super common (though I re-sized them). Plus they're only 16s.

The Tarmacs will become gold for sure, but I'm 95% sure I'm going to order a custom low offset pair of front wheels to eliminate the spacers and push them out further, so I don't want to re-do the current front pair at this stage. This picture definitely sold me on the idea, which I've been mulling over...since I got the wheels.

Got some packages yesterday; I totally forgot I scooped up this auto 530i gauge cluster from Andy! Lol. I'm tired of my current Euro cluster because A) it's from a six cylinder car and B) there are no MPH markings. I can handle the latter, but for other drivers it gets annoying.

I also forgot these Turner studs have an allen key for install, which means it takes half, maybe a third the time to install as double-nutting each stud. Woot.

Last edited by BleedsBlue; 08-26-2016 at 01:32 PM.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Alllllright, I need to ask a question, which I haven't in a while (I try to answer as many as possible):

What exactly in the gauge cluster stores the engine pulse count? I'm leaning towards the coding plug; multiple online sources state different things, so I'm not sure.

Heidi came with a Euro cluster that worked except for the tachometer, which reads high. I installed Andy's 530i cluster (South42, always a great seller) with the coding plug from my Euro cluster. I thought the Euro cluster was from a six cylinder car, because the RPMs read off as they would in that scenario. I also wanted standard instrumentation. The US 530i cluster with my old coding plug still reads RPM as high. Is the answer a V8 coding plug (and was the coding plug in my Euro cluster the real problem?)?

This new-to-me cluster had 237k on it (car should have ~142k), I just want the damn tachometer to read accurately, and for the odometer to be close to actual (multiple cluster swaps in this car's history, but Carfax shows the mileage beforehand). Everything else in both clusters has worked perfectly.

Thanks in advance!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    ...did your 530i cluster come with the v8 coding chip/plug?

Higher mileage may not be ideal, but I agree that I would rather the tach just work properly.

When I replaced my failing cluster it was from a like vehicle... and I dont even think I have the old cluster or chip anymore, despite my inclination to be a hoarder.

Would be interested to know where this info is kept as well, so let me know if a chip swap fixes your tach!
    Last edited by Tre0Tre34; 09-02-2016 at 02:29 PM.

My Cars
    94 M5T
    does your current coding plug vin match the car's vin? Perhaps it's the wrong code plug to begin with. Are both tach's correct (looking) v8 tach's as far as redline etc goes? You can pull the cluster apart and just swap the clocks?
    Mike
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Back and tan from a refreshing week in Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Tre0Tre34 View Post
    ...did your 530i cluster come with the v8 coding chip/plug?

Higher mileage may not be ideal, but I agree that I would rather the tach just work properly.

When I replaced my failing cluster it was from a like vehicle... and I dont even think I have the old cluster or chip anymore, despite my inclination to be a hoarder.

Would be interested to know where this info is kept as well, so let me know if a chip swap fixes your tach!
    I'll keep this thread updated, for sure. I never checked if the 237k mile plug from the 530i cluster was a proper V8 one (not sure how to test that besides redlining it, and the engine was cold), but I definitely don't want to sacrifice mileage accuracy for redline accuracy. I want both!

does your current coding plug vin match the car's vin? Perhaps it's the wrong code plug to begin with. Are both tach's correct (looking) v8 tach's as far as redline etc goes? You can pull the cluster apart and just swap the clocks?
    It is definitely the wrong code plug. I know a few owners ago, or potentially a few of the POs, swapped clusters around. I just know the mileage is semi-accurate based on CarFax reporting.

The first (euro) cluster I had has the same tach appearance, so I assume it's V8; I suppose my solution is to put up with mileage off by 100k, or source a proper V8 coding plug with closer mileage (142.5k)? I thought there was a way to wind the odometer (electronically) to match, but I'm short on research time right now.

Btw, thanks again for your email, Mike! I got the Aux working perfectly on the TP, it was really simple once I figured out the second-level menus.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    It's almost been two months, nothing really to report except I'm close to obtaining the clean Colorado title. As my temp registration for Heidi is expired and I found the intake boot torn, she's been mainly sitting while I've fallen back in love with the 911. Heidi starts like a champ every time though and has proven her wagonly worth on many occasions, and I look forward to the powerful heater, heated seats, and LSD this winter.

I do have a new boot ready to go-on, and will swap the M Systems and snow tires back on soon. Though it's some sort of bullsh1t Indian fall, and in the mid 70s so far (good for my upcoming elk hunt!).

In the meantime I'm selling the front Tarmacs and will be storing the rears until Spring, when I'll order another pair with a better size/offset for the E34 (alternatively I might sell the rear pair then too, who knows) and plan to powder coat them in gold.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Heh. "Close to obtaining the title," famous last words. I spent a month waiting on the California DMV to do a record search I need, only to get it back and they ran the wrong VIN. They took one of my Gs as a 6, funny seeing how the digit they mistook has to be an alpha and not a numeral, and you'd think, you know, the F*CKING DMV would know that. Another month at least of temp tags for me.

Boring thread is boring. With the nice weather, Heidi has sat most weeks while I bomb around in the 911.

We're finally due for snow Thursday, so I (still) need to swap the Blizzak + M systems back on, change the oil, and install the new intake hose.

Side note: also picked up a 17x9 M System on the cheaps, I may sell all the Fifteen52s. I sense gold Throwing Stars in my future, potentially.
    Side note 2: I have a line on a Euro 540i gauge cluster, still waiting to hear from the wrecker

Front Tarmacs are still for sale
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    94 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post

Side note: also picked up a 17x9 M System on the cheaps, I may sell all the Fifteen52s. I sense gold Throwing Stars in my future, potentially.
    Side note 2: I have a line on a Euro 540i gauge cluster, still waiting to hear from the wrecker

Front Tarmacs are still for sale
    you going to run staggered or 4 x 9" M systems?
    Mike
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    you going to run staggered or 4 x 9" M systems?
    Staggered for now due to budget, and since I doubt I'll find three other rough 17x9s. I'm not looking for nice/new ones, since my 8s are all a little rough. This is the daily set-up anyhow, so I don't care as much about the wider wheel up front.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    A fresh pan of Rotella 5w-40 and a new filter, and we blasted 950 miles in about 14 hours down to Austin for Xmas with Ms. Bleedsblue's family. This is the second ~1000mi each way trip in Heidi, and I figured the 110 F trip to CA and back was a much harder test than this ~50 F trip. So far so good, like over the past 9,000 miles I've put on the car since May!

Since I always head to www.jesterkingbrewery.com while I'm in Austin, already had a few Jester cases waiting for me here from previous trips (shipping beer out of TX is a pain), we'll have gifts to bring back, AND we took the doge, I borrowed my mom's new Thule box. It's designed for skis obviously but still very nice and voluminous--the lid suspension is especially nice. I also brought an aluminum jack and a good set of basic tools in case of a minor breakdown/tune-ups on the parent-in-laws' cars, so Heidi will be loaded to the gills on the drive back. SLS is bad-ass, when functioning.

Nothing else to report other than what a solid car, and autobahn cruiser. We stopped so little on the way down I only got one picture in Raton:

And yes, Photofuket is the worst^
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Cool car, cooler stories. Glad the e34 is helping you live life and not preventing you from it like a good broken one often can.

Keep it running and keep on shreddin!
    -Wes
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    This is an awesome thread.

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    Great stories! I actually like the Tarmacs on the car but I'm a bit whacko with my wheel choices sometimes.

I'm not sure I could trade the M5 for a touring which is why I just added a touring to the M5. I guess having a couple of 400HP vehicles may cushion the blow but I'm sure I'd miss the E34 M5 and regret the swap. You could add a supercharger...
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by staystackin View Post
    Cool car, cooler stories. Glad the e34 is helping you live life and not preventing you from it like a good broken one often can.

Keep it running and keep on shreddin!
    -Wes
    Cheers, Wes! I appreciate the kind words. I've been really enjoying your recent updates on the build thread, and am hoping to start beautifying and further upgrading this car soon!

Quote Originally Posted by sbeckman7 View Post
    This is an awesome thread.
    Thank you good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin025 View Post
    Great stories! I actually like the Tarmacs on the car but I'm a bit whacko with my wheel choices sometimes.

I'm not sure I could trade the M5 for a touring which is why I just added a touring to the M5. I guess having a couple of 400HP vehicles may cushion the blow but I'm sure I'd miss the E34 M5 and regret the swap. You could add a supercharger...
    The Tarmacs have been a hit locally for sure; I still like them for the unique design, the total style shift of pure flat face vs deep dish, and the Fifteen52 start-up story. I'll probably keep mine.

This wouldn't even be a contest if we had easily available, as-cheap-as-sedan M5 Tourings here. But the body style is definitely more appropriate for my lifestyle, and I do plan to work up some pretty sweet mods on this wagon in 2017. I don't plan to S38 swap like I originally intended (rather take a less rare, garden variety touring to bastardize), but a trans swap and FI is desirable and (the latter) is reversible...

Minor Life Update
    I have pretty much been planning on buying a house (more realistically, putting myself in a position to buy) in late 2017/early 2018, and to that end I made the very difficult, adult decision to sell my 911 ('86 3.2) to a close friend in exchange for an F30 320i Sport (8spd), and cash. The 320 is hail-damaged but otherwise mint with 48k miles, and has already proven to be an incredible daily (duh). That car will give me something to pile miles on and save on gas (I'm doing more and more commuting, creeping up on 200 miles weekly at this point), and allow me to do some serious work on Heidi...

Which is also made possible by taking the 911 profit and paying off debts. It'll free finances up to continue saving, while giving me more of a fun-budget to restore and modify Heidi. I'm not quite bitter and am confident I made the right decision (doubling my invest on the 911 didn't hurt, neither), but it'll be quite the change not having the 911 OR M5 in my life. Adulting, this is. After getting into a house I plan on acquiring another special, handbuilt car of some type, for sure.

Little annoyances have been cropping up with Heidi, including the blower not working unless I switch it to max (and then I can dial it back to a lower setting) and sometimes randomly cutting out; the final hinge on the hatchback tool kit snapping; and just general sh1tty rustiness and bad paint . But it's been a rough few weeks of snow and more than a few days of single digit temps, and she starts up every time and rips through snow thanks to the LSD and Blizzaks. Plus, she blitzed to Austin and back without a hiccup. She's now done a 2400 mile trip through 110 F degrees and back, and a 2000 mile one through 30 F degrees. I brought three cases of Jester King back this time, too.

- Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Oh man, you did what!? Sold turbines and bought those... Okay, they look surprisingly tolerable.

You are my hero, driving looong trips with old wagon. Whats next, forget that that house and sell F30 before timing chain breaks? And buy another E34 or maybe three...

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    Great updates, love the travels (and IGs ). So glad you like the car and use it as it should be used.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Nice update man, looking forward to more!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast