Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Heidi Diaries Part Trois: Bleeding blue in CO

My Cars
    94 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    I've trouble-shot the valves and wiring pretty thoroughly at this point, so I'm definitely most suspicious of something like what Mike is suggesting, or perhaps something as simple as a stuck open door.
    Check voltages at the drivers and pass side heater valves as you change the temp. I can't remember what they're supposed to do, but my drivers side was not getting the correct voltage. When i swapped the wires (driver/pass), my heat on all the time problem switched to the pass side, which helped encourage me that it was the control module
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith Jason View Post
    Brent I believe Raymond over on the M5 board did a detailed write up about refreshing the IHKA unit. He had pictures but they might be gone. I have the same thing in mine. But as yet have had no reason to have it apart or look at it.
    Hey Jason, thank you man! I didn't think of checking over there. Reading through it, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mottati View Post
    Check voltages at the drivers and pass side heater valves as you change the temp. I can't remember what they're supposed to do, but my drivers side was not getting the correct voltage. When i swapped the wires (driver/pass), my heat on all the time problem switched to the pass side, which helped encourage me that it was the control module
    Will do, Mike--thank you again. That's an easy test and good thinking.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I've not had time to diagnose more driver side heat stuff, since my M5 coil over broke/is undriveable, and then when I dropped the wagon off at my detailer's house, the exact moment I parked in his driveway a radiator end tank let go. I got home fine without the temp needle even budging, but it's time for that old Nissens to hit the road for sure. Two undriveable E34s currently...

I didn't want my guy to spend too long polishing the turd, since I just need a respray, but it came out decent and the wax will help stop the clear coat from fading.

Little photoshoot courtesy of Ms. Bleedsblue while it was sprinkling.

For some reason this first picture in particular is getting much love (for my little account, at least) on Instagram:

- Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    Didn't know the green was that fresh. I think I need a set of m-systems. The last wheel set I need I'm my collection
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    '91 M5
    That thing does not need paint. It is good to go.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    92 M5
    How many miles did the Nissens go for until it crapped out?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by E38740iMD View Post
    Didn't know the green was that fresh. I think I need a set of m-systems. The last wheel set I need I'm my collection
    Well just let me know, they are for sale haha... thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by TGreene View Post
    That thing does not need paint. It is good to go.
    It really needs a professional job on the bumpers and skirts, but once I get the new rust-free doors on it I don't think it will need a respray immediately. I'll keep it waxed but there are some clear coat failure spots and rust here and there that are just not fixable without a respray, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    How many miles did the Nissens go for until it crapped out?
    No idea, I couldn't find a date code or anything on the Nissens. The stickers on it look very old, and keep in mind I also "helped" it by moving it around a bit pulling the condenser. Not like I roughhoused it, but old plastic does not like moving.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    92 M5
    I will be very curious to see what becomes of the heating issue. My car decided out of the blue it only wants to blow heat out of the floor. So when I turn it to heat (full) only heat come from the floor properly. The Center and defrost are still cool air. AC works as it should with cool air everywhere. Going to have to TS this but really not a lot of time. Anyone have any advice. Sorry to hijack Brent.

My Cars
    92 M5
    Brent, I did some digging on this one. I had my radio out the other night and did not know what it was at the time but it is indeed a stepper motor which is now longer mounted properly. I am replacing the stereo in a few weeks so I will have that whole front panel off at which point I will do some further investigation on putting the stepper motor back. There are ten of them and apparently they do a self test at start up and over time wear themselves out........this might be part of your problem. We could start an IHKA support group. At some point I will have to get in there and replace my heater core etc. I just flushed coolant this summer so maybe in a couple years.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Brent, I did some digging on this one. I had my radio out the other night and did not know what it was at the time but it is indeed a stepper motor which is now longer mounted properly. I am replacing the stereo in a few weeks so I will have that whole front panel off at which point I will do some further investigation on putting the stepper motor back. There are ten of them and apparently they do a self test at start up and over time wear themselves out........this might be part of your problem. We could start an IHKA support group. At some point I will have to get in there and replace my heater core etc. I just flushed coolant this summer so maybe in a couple years.
    Noooooo kidding!

Thanks for the thorough follow up Jason, unfortunately I've stalled out on my diagnosis for two reasons: house projects, and more confusion.

Once it started getting colder here in Colorado, understandably I started using the heater. Well, now I've realized the driver side temperature dial is completely reversed. It will only blow hot air from the center vent when turned to the cold setting (but not the max cold notch); and vice a versa. So now I'm waiting for a warm day (some are coming) to see if turning the driver dial to full hot will get me cold a/c.

I'll be happy if it's the dial, since that should be an easy fix.

I know a shop with proper BMW tooling can just diagnosis this, but I haven't had the time (plus in the summer here, cold air from the passenger side was enough). And despite the annoyance, I really haven't spent much on this issue besides the Bosch heater valves, which were partially stuck anyhow. Now I just have a rebuildable spare on the shelf.

I'll update soon with my findings on this IHKA nonsense and some other more interesting stuff!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quick update: I was waiting to finish some other stuff up, but I decided to dump the progress report off as-is.

I manhandled the Nissens radiator a bit while installing a new condensor, and jumped for the now-common E36 M3 aluminum radiator swap. With some help from a DIY here, UnrulyGrace, and another gentleman member who USPS-ed me the required euro rad bracket (NLA from US sources), I had everything in and got to work.

UnrulyGrace convinced me to try CSF after experiencing a few Mishimoto failures. I'm impressed with the quality, for just ~$220.

Install was a relative breeze, honestly. I didn't even pull my fan since I had forgotten my fan clutch holder tool somewhere in storage (no hammer trick works for this nut).

I initially trimmed the OEM lower hose, but was unhappy with both its softness, and angles (LOL), so an extra long Napa hose (7277) came to the rescue. I trimmed a bit off each end, and was very happy with the bends and routing.

The mechanical fan on this car works well and is quiet (compared to my S38, at least), so I bought the E36 shroud, but have yet to install it since the old shroud push-pins won't hold it up through the CSF tabs (slightly thicker). I drove through some 90 F temps with the A/C on (with a functional aux fan), and the coolant temp was identical to before the rad swap (when I had a shroud). I will install the E36 shroud but it seems it's not super important; pictures of that to come.

In terms of "upgrades", this is definitely a longevity or reliability upgrade, and not a performance upgrade. I supposed the CSF core could flow better, but the smaller size (lighter, which is good) should negate most of the cooling advantage. As noted, my cooling performance is about the same AFAIK, since I never tested the old set-up without the fan shroud.

16k miles in
    Hard to believe, but I've turned 16k trouble-free miles with Heidi. The single failure not caused by me was the $80 intake boot, otherwise I have just bought oil, gas, and tires. I whole-heartedly planned on a full restoration, involving full rust removal and any ensuing re-spray (the bumpers need it bad, tho not from rust) and a fresh interior, but house projects are quickly piling up and I'm more committed to my M5.

I do have a line on rear Touring doors in Oxford with no rust, to go with my already-in-hand fronts, which will get me a long ways towards improving the appearance and rust-worthiness (thanks again for that connection, UnrulyGrace!). Fender rust and more disturbingly, windshield channel rust, may just have to be curtailed for now, and not fixed. We will see, but I will likely need to sell the car before I can do much on the interior, much less the planned 6 speed swap, eventual S/C, etc etc etc. Fortunes change but my priorities are A) the house and B) the M5.

We'll take at least one more 2,000+ mile trip in the wagon, for Thanksgiving. This thing was a helluva deal and seems ready for another 100k...

(Throwing Star covers are still for sale, no wheels, just PM me)

This car has been pretty useful during the house projects...

Last edited by BleedsBlue; 10-13-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Already snow there? Damn, where is my snow...

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Glad I checked in on your thread, Brent. Where did you order the CSF rad? I had the Mishimoto M3 rad in my cart for ~$255 but I trust your judgement... I would like to give the CSF a whirl.

- - - Updated - - -

You should post up pictures of the radiator and hoses and euro rad mount if you don't mind.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by Eero View Post
    Already snow there? Damn, where is my snow...
    Lol well it was 26C the day after, so all melted

Quote Originally Posted by wmrcs View Post
    Glad I checked in on your thread, Brent. Where did you order the CSF rad? I had the Mishimoto M3 rad in my cart for ~$255 but I trust your judgement... I would like to give the CSF a whirl.

- - - Updated - - -

You should post up pictures of the radiator and hoses and euro rad mount if you don't mind.
    I found a lot of CSF in stock, actually; but ended up going through Bimmerworld due to superior customer service/availability. In other words, places like ECS that I also trust had radiators, but not as quickly as BW could ship.

I am needing to dig into Heidi for some maintenance soon and will wrap up the E36 shroud install, and take well-lit pictures of the entire set-up for sure! Stay tuned.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Lol well it was 26C the day after, so all melted
    My god! Last summer here was not that hot!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Bada bing, bada boom, car is gone.

That was unexpected.
    Full disclosure and I like to be honest with my car life, particularly as we're trying to build a brand along with a company in Angry Ass Solutions. In all likelihood I was not going to avoid selling Heidi in 2018. I had a big 2017; huge Europe trip, bought a house, and bleeding into early 2018, got murried. In that time we were a bit single-incomed, and the M5 is my priority, sooo.

I went to look at an '06 Pathfinder for partial trade. Even that idea was half-baked, as I really needed to pay off debt this year, and not go for the SUV we want until 2018. But the owner of this Pathy is a real car guy, and (who knew?) Pathfinders are crazy undervalued compared to the ubiquitous 4runners that I see 10,000 of every damn day in Colorado.

Long story short, we could get close enough on value/cash/trade stuff. So then his buddy says he has an idea...

So out go Heidi (on M Pars and Chinese tires, which I picked up solely for selling on the car) and my staggered Turbines, in comes prepper-built, lifted FJ60.

A 60/62 has been on our car bucketlist for a while now, I just didn't think I'd find someone with one to offer for Heidi.

Still local, and well-loved.
    It was much easier to let go after 23k memory-filled miles knowing that Heidi is off to be both daily and parts-donator to a couple of true car guys, and BMW nerds like myself.

She'll lose the Quaife, M Sport kit (and mirrors), E31 X-brace, and a few other items to a shell '91 M5 that's being built into a likely S62-powered ulti-E34, but she will also be six speed swapped quickly, and put back into daily duties. It's a good next step.

As always, money no object I would have kept Heid; but in the past year the paint job across the car was truly failing, and the interior full of cracks and droops was really not getting any better. The M5 is in the same condition (albeit slightly worse), and I can only focus on one E34 right now.

I don't expect the new owner to really post on the forums, but I'll keep track of Heidi and answer any questions that may help going forward.

- Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    92 M5
    What year Pathfinder ? We used to own a 2005. It was fully loaded and so good in the snow. I am currently rocking an E91 as my winter daily. Have a line on a rare (6MT 535xiT) E61 as a daily. The maintenance on the N54 spooks me a bit.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    What year Pathfinder ? We used to own a 2005. It was fully loaded and so good in the snow. I am currently rocking an E91 as my winter daily. Have a line on a rare (6MT 535xiT) E61 as a daily. The maintenance on the N54 spooks me a bit.
    An '06, so about the same deal. I have a soft spot for the VQ, which I don't admit publicly as an inline guy.

The N54 has it's weaknesses but that motor has become very cheap for how advanced it is. AAS likes it

I will definitely drive the FJ60 in really bad conditions, but in most snowy stuff I've never had an issue with a RWD BMW, provided LSD (E36, E34) or fancy TC (F30) and good tires. As backwards as it sounds, this cruiser is almost more for summer camping than winter driving.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    92 M5
    In the end I chickened out on the E61. It likely meant an end to my E34 M5 which I am not quite ready for. I misread that totally. Those old Land Cruisers are sweet. Best our house can do is a 17 Highlander. Mom-mobile at its finest. It’s pretyy nice though. And safe.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    True to his word, the Euro-centric gentleman who is highly competent with a wrench, swapped a 6 speed with lightened flywheel and short-throw into Heidi within a week!

As expected, the car rips.

I bring this up since this guy is not on the forums, but he needs to sell one of his manual-swapped tourings: Heidi, and a faded-paint Lagoongrun 5 speed, built S50US car. It's crazy how similar the cars look, and drive. Heidi has a better sorted suspension, but that S50 has serious work and drives more like an S38 than any S52.

I can connect any interested buyers with this gentleman, on request.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456