Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: E90 Can bus project (E60, E65, E87....)

My Cars
    e90 320i
    Quick update.. got my e90 running with LS2 engine and factory e40 ecu. Fuel pump is controlled by new ecu and have managed to use the factory start button. Not quite driving yet. Once I can drive it, I will report back on the fault codes. So far I have not interfaced with the factory canbus, but will try to address my main issues once it's finished - tacho, a/c request and any other fault codes it reports back. Also found an annoying side effect of the IGN feeds remaining active until the key is removed from dash. Suspect the Ignition module tells the engine to shut off but then waits a couple of seconds before it powers down. Not a big deal, but will try and control it using arduino down the track.

Any feedback on your test module yet Thaniel?

My Cars
    2001 E39 , 1996 E36
    Any E65 PT can specific info available? Thanks.

My Cars
    E46, E53, E90, GSXR, MR2
    Quote Originally Posted by jet231 View Post
    Quick update.. got my e90 running with LS2 engine and factory e40 ecu. Fuel pump is controlled by new ecu and have managed to use the factory start button. Not quite driving yet. Once I can drive it, I will report back on the fault codes. So far I have not interfaced with the factory canbus, but will try to address my main issues once it's finished - tacho, a/c request and any other fault codes it reports back. Also found an annoying side effect of the IGN feeds remaining active until the key is removed from dash. Suspect the Ignition module tells the engine to shut off but then waits a couple of seconds before it powers down. Not a big deal, but will try and control it using arduino down the track.

Any feedback on your test module yet Thaniel?
    Great progress on your swap.
    No feed back yet. I did create a version and sent to a guy that had a running e60 with a Toyota motor in it. Worked great on my test bench, but no news yet on the swapped cat (he had a number of projects and the e60 wasnít top priority)

Yah there are several circuits that turn off a different times. The CAS controls this. I think I isolated the bits in its can message. Based on messing with my car(stock) but didnít hammer out all the fine details yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauere39 View Post
    Any E65 PT can specific info available? Thanks.
    Far as I can tell the e65, e60, e90, e87 pt can bus are all about the same. Similar to how the e46, e53, z4, e38 pt can bus are.

Thaniel

My Cars
    e90
    Hello Thaniel,

great job. I have same cluster and want to power it and try your K-CAN bus messages. Can you tell me what is the pinout of the connector on the cluster? I also buy a TJA1055T chip for the K-CAN and arduino, does I need something else just to start playing with messages? Thanks for help

My Cars
    E46, E53, E90, GSXR, MR2
    Quote Originally Posted by radostin View Post
    Hello Thaniel,

great job. I have same cluster and want to power it and try your K-CAN bus messages. Can you tell me what is the pinout of the connector on the cluster? I also buy a TJA1055T chip for the K-CAN and arduino, does I need something else just to start playing with messages? Thanks for help
    Thanks.

For the connection Google "BMW WDS" and you'll find several data bases with diagrams. Best to find the one for your exact cluster.

What all you need to interface with the CAN bus depends on what hardware you have. I know there are some CAN arduinos out there. But I have no knowledge or experience with those. I use a MCP2515 as the CAN controller that I connect to the Arduino via SPI and then an appropriate CAN transceiver to connect between the MCP2515 and the CAN bus. For K-CAN correct use the TJA1055T. To put it simply download the sparkfun can bus shield circuit diagram but instead of the MCP2551 put in a TJA1055T. Software to run with the TJA1055T is the same as the spark fun shield as the CAN controller can't see a difference in CAN transceivers (the transceiver just converts the CAN bus varying voltage signal to binary)

Hope this helps.

Thaniel.

My Cars
    xx,xx,xx
    Any updates on anyone?? I am about to start my e92 335 LS swap in January but I am thing of doing a Megasquirt 3 standalone and integrate it to the factory harness someow so I can use the factory gauges and so forth
    -Tony

My Cars
    E46, E53, E90, GSXR, MR2
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytone4143 View Post
    Any updates on anyone?? I am about to start my e92 335 LS swap in January but I am thing of doing a Megasquirt 3 standalone and integrate it to the factory harness someow so I can use the factory gauges and so forth
    -Tony
    Not much additional information added to this thread from other E90 owners. For the E46 it felt more like a group effort. I've got no plans to modify my E90 and so my input pretty much ends at bench testing. I'm not expecting to add more information unless the community wants to work together.

Thaniel

My Cars
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Not much additional information added to this thread from other E90 owners. For the E46 it felt more like a group effort. I've got no plans to modify my E90 and so my input pretty much ends at bench testing. I'm not expecting to add more information unless the community wants to work together.

Thaniel
    I think it might take a little longer for the prices to keep coming down where it becomes more economical to swap into this chassis. I've been wanting to do this for over 5 years, I just don't have the ability to help or else I totally would. Do you have any recommendations for material to read to begin to understand how it all works?

My Cars
    E46, E53, E90, GSXR, MR2
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
    Do you have any recommendations for material to read to begin to understand how it all works?
    There are lots of documents on the web on how the different systems in the E90 work. becoming familiar with is useful. Also learning how to work INPA, NCS expert and all the other BMW tools is pretty useful.

To get directly into CAN bus I'd get a CAN bus reader and start messing around. First car I read CAN bus on was a Renault Laguna. Doesn't have be BMW to learn useful things.

Thaniel

My Cars
    E46 330 ESS Touring
    Decided to share that my imBMW.net open-source project (that previously supported only iBus and dBus DS2) now supports CAN-BUS, that allows for example to install CAN-BUS-controlled "full comfort" seats from e65/e66 into any iBus-controlled BMW e38/e39/e46/e53/etc:

Of course, it allows to communicate with any other CAN-BUS/iBus/dBus ECUs.

dHw_gAeBCxY.jpg

And since it's Open Source, you could build your own non-commercial fork, like others did: https://vk.com/album-67915700_260588402
    Last edited by MadToha; 02-25-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    E46 M54B30 MT Touring = ESS TwinScrew + SS Headers + S38 Flywheel&Clutch + MFactory LSD 3.07 + Koni Sport + Eibach Pro + ///M3-Look
    =============================
    imBMW.net = BMW + iBus + .NET MF + .NET PCL & UWP + Bluetooth + Arduino + STM32 + music + handsfree + DIY + DBus DS2 DME Logging + etc...

My Cars
    BMW e46 328i turbo
    Has anyone figured out what messages need to be sent to EKPM3 fuel pump module to get it working?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi
    Hi Robert,
    Did you get any further? I have the same situation, the Backlight command works, but nothing else. I'm sending the Terminal T15 (0x130) packet ("\x45\x42\x69\x8F\xE2\xFE") every 100ms along with a velocity packet. Bit-Rate is 100kbps.

My hardware is a Pi Zero / Can Hat that is connected to 2007 E92 Cluster on the bench. From what I've seen there's 2 types of velocity packets, but neither seem to work for me. The time counter also seems a bit strange for the 0x1B4 version.

Code:
    #if 1
        QByteArray velocityPacket;   //0x1A6
        velocityPacket[0]= (quint8)(velocity&0xFF);
        velocityPacket[1]= (quint8)(velocity>>8);
        velocityPacket[2]= (quint8)(velocity&0xFF);
        velocityPacket[3]= (quint8)(velocity>>8);
        velocityPacket[4]= (quint8)(velocity&0xFF);
        velocityPacket[5]= (quint8)(velocity>>8);
        velocityPacket[6]= (quint8)(timeCount&0xFF);
        velocityPacket[7]= (quint8)((timeCount>>8) | 0xF0);
        velocity += 1;
        timeCount += 100;
        QCanBusFrame frame (0x1A6, velocityPacket);
        m_canDevice->writeFrame(frame);
    #else
        QByteArray velocityPacket;  // 0x1B4
        velocityPacket[0]= (quint8)(velocity&0xFF);
        velocityPacket[1]= (quint8)(velocity>>8);
        velocityPacket[2]= 0xE0;
        velocityPacket[3]= 0xF0 | packetCount;
        velocityPacket[4]= 0x00;
        velocityPacket[5]= 0x30;   // Handbrake status
        velocityPacket[6]= 0xFC;
        velocityPacket[7]= strangeCount++;   // Increments from 0x2E to 0x3C only?!
        velocity = 0xD42E;  // ex. 0xD000 = 0MPH, 0xD42E = 66MPH
        strangeCount += ( strangeCount > 0x3C) ? 0x2E : 0;
        packetCount++;
        QCanBusFrame frame (0x1B4, velocityPacket);
        m_canDevice->writeFrame(frame);
    #endif
    Any ideas?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345