Thread: M73 INPA diagnosis

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 Compact

M73 INPA diagnosis

Hello

I have following problem with M73 engine 1996
    I could not connect to any DME (there are two in this car), with INPA and ADS interface.
    Finally i have found solution, i had to replace files in EDIABAS\ECU to files from different INPA version.
    Now i can connect to both DME seprately on bench.
    Still both don't want to talk being connected in car.
    Strange thing is that both are seen as "DME Right", one should be seen as "DME Left" but it's not. Maybe it becames Left when it's connected with other modules. Could someone confirm how it works?
    Which version of INPA/EDIABAS will for sure work with this engine?

Note: Both DME are from this car, VIN sticker, part number etc is ok.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I asume that your car only has a 20 pin diagnostic port under the hood and that is where you are attempting to connect. According to BMW WDS, the LH and RH DME's are identical, but the Left hand DME is wired with pin 48 connected to ground when installed in the car, so that diagnostic software can recognise it as the left hand DME (fires cylinders 7 - 12). I am not sure what symptoms you are experiencing with driveability of this car, but before you start spending a lot of time attempting to troubleshoot it, check fuses 24 and 109 and pull the lead from the coil to the distributor on both distributors and inspect the distributor and coil end for erosion and damage. INPA v3.01/4.4.7/EDIABAS v6.4.3 should work fine with this car.
    Fuse 109 location.pdf
    Last edited by David Mc; 05-26-2016 at 11:38 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 Compact
    First thanks for answer, i'll check what you told and write results here

This car has 20 pin diagnostic port, and does not have OBD port inside car (europe version)
    It worked pretty well when i bought it (87 000 miles on speedo).
    I have replaced valve cover gaskets becouse of small leakage, spark plugs. Intake mainfold gaskets were in good condition, no scratches, no cracks. I put automotive silicone on them before mounting intakes again. Now i have small leakage again from valve cover but in different place
    As you know i had to remove everything from top of engine, maybe it's the reason of my problems.

I couldn't connect to any module, after replacing IKE module everything worked fine except DMEs but i didn't bother becouse car drive well.
    Currently the problem is it works terrible when engine is cold. You can smell gasoline from exhausts, a lot of gasoline.
    When it get hot, it doesn't work perfect.
    I think it's getting worse every day.

What i have checked already:
    1. There's something's wrong with right bank. Oxygen sensor signal is "flat", till i put the pedal to the floor, then it "gets up" for a moment, it's sharp. I think that sensor is ok, becouse car works bad all the time, espiecially during warm up phase, when sensor is not in use. But maybe i'm wrong
      I've also "read" inject time from left and right banks. It's always longer on right bank.
    2. I've checked lead to ignition coils, it's like new. Right ignition coil is rusty, becouse of sprayer fluid leakage
    3. I could not connect to DMEs with few different adapters (even Bosch KTS). Now i can connect with this interface:http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...ADS1_small.jpg
      But:
      -had to replace files in Ediabas\Ecu from newer Ediabas, files have date 2013, i don't know which version of Ediabas, sorry ( fiiles DM5212R2.PRG, DM5212L2.PRG)
      -can connect only when engine is not running!
      -connection is poor, i takes over a dozen seconds to connect, it's terribly slow. Other modules connects much faster
      -did not find any errors, but i'll check it again after some trip...
      I bought two newer DMEs, few months newer, different part number (files for Ediabas DM5212R3.PRG. DM5212L3.PRG), paired it with EWS, they behave exactly the same!
    4. This car takes to much electricity. It's pretty easy discharge it. I have no idea why, but have other problems to fix now

Of course i would like to fix it . But i'm also curious why this DME is so problematic. I have four of them now, i have even took of capacitors from one and checked them. They are fine.
    Bosch KTS should connect to them?
    Last edited by fold; 05-31-2016 at 05:39 AM.

My Cars
    E30-350i M73(11.94)
    Hello guys,
    sorry for pushing this old thread, but I have exactly the same problems.

A have an E30 with a M73 engine from 11/94 without EWS and an E38 750i M73 from 09/96 with EWS.
    I've tried IN*A with the Tiny ADS Interface at both cars. I get access to all types of control modules including EML, DSC etc. , but not to the DMEs.
    My E30 is still in limp mode, so I need to read the codes in the DMEs.

@fold : Could you provide your newer PRG-files ? Mine are from the late 90s.

Thank you so much!
    Didd

My Cars
    03 760 Li
    I have similar issue on e65.

only two ecu can not be identified not matter how hard I tried.

then I found there is no name, sgbd, nor group of them. I do not know how these happened and how to solve the.