Thread: P0455, gas smell, BMW 16131183375, and rodents

My Cars
    1995 530i, 2003 540i

P0455, gas smell, BMW 16131183375, and rodents

Trying to diagnose and repair P0455 accompanied by strong smell of gas (especially after fill-up). While checking fuel pump area, discovered large accumulation of insulation-like material and acorn debris indicating probable rodent habitat. Further inspection revealed chewed end of 16131183375 (photo). Would this cause the "large EVAP emissions control system leak?" Can it be repaired by sealing the chewed end, or does the entire line need to be re-connected and re-sealed, or replaced? Any advice most appreciated.

[QUICKIMG]http://s448.photobucket.com/user/Tezmanian/media/image_zpsf8gwunhr.jpeg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=1451 55528&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0
    Last edited by Tezmanian; 05-21-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: attempt to add photo

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Can't see your pic, but based on RealOEM, that part number looks like the connecting tube between the tank and the filler neck. If that tube is chewed through, it would definitely cause an EVAP leak fault. Depending on how badly it is chewed, you might be able to repair it, but you definitely need to address the rodent problem also. Rats and mice can be extremely damaging to cars. They love chewing through copper wiring and can wreak havoc on car electrical systems...
    Last edited by Mpowered02; 05-21-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    1995 530i, 2003 540i
    Thanks! I was able to splice the chewed ends together. SES light out. Hope the critters are, too.

My Cars
    the shinny one
    After the repair, spray the area with DEET and allow it to dry. Repeat every 30 days.
    Camping stores sell small bottles of 99% concentrate.
    Mix the product with tap water in a spray bottle.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Same thing happened to me: found the nest, then the chewed-thru vent tube.

Replacing that vent tube involves removing the RR fender liner to attach the new tube to the filler tube, and the other end routed to the top of the fuel tank.

Like juststeve says, put something in that area (both sides of the tank under the seat) to keep the mice out (deet, de-con, cat, or snake). Also, if you're parked a garage, set a few traps around there, too.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    540i
    Pretty sure I have the same problem. Car sat in the driveway for a few months while I looked for a new engine. Topped off the tank for the first time since getting it all back together and ended up with a pretty significant puddle on the ground under the filler neck/rear seat area. Pulled the RR liner earlier this evening but couldn't say for certain that it was leaking from that pipe. Also pulled out the seat bottom and broke the perforations in the rubber mat that covers everything but didn't see anything obvious right away. Only had a few minutes to look, though. Where does that vent pipe connect to the tank? And for those of you that have experienced this, do the wet spots in my pics look similar to the ones you found? Thanks in advance.
    IMG_2859.jpg IMG_2860.jpg

My Cars
    1995 530i, 2003 540i
    I never had liquid leak, just serious gasoline vapor. This line connects to the top of the fuel tank about 3" inboard of the edge of the access hole for the fuel pump (under the rubber mat you opened up and under the car body). Don't think that end of the line could be easily connected to the tank without dropping the fuel tank; I was able to splice mine using vacuum tubing and clamps. This line is for vacuum venting, not liquid fuel.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    If the vent line is leaking at/near the tank, then fuel will spill out on top of the tank and drip down the side of the tank after a fill-up (as in MightyDuck's pic). Yes, the vent tube connection at the tank is about 3" underneath the metal frame under the RR seat porthole, toward the front of the car. It can be accessed for replacement with some nimble fingers and a gentle pair of pliers. No need to drop the tank.

MightyDuck - does your first pic show the wet spot on the filler tube? If so, then the leak is above that point, so, maybe a leak in the bent tube near the filler tube's upper end, or, a small overflow at the filler during a fill-up dripped down from the fuel door area - check there for rot or other holes in the fill or vent tube.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i 6M
    Hi. New to Bimmerforums. Glad I found it. I am having the exact same issue with my '00 540i. I've watched the car fill up, and only starts to leak just right after the tank is filled and the pump automatically stops. It would make sense then that the leak would occur at the highest point of the tank. I am really excited to see if the cause is the tube connection as well, as I've heard between new tank and the labor to do it, worth almost as much as the car! "MightyDuc", did you ever end up changing the tube as per "Ed CT"s instructions? Thanks

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    First of all welcome to the forum. I saw you posted in another thread about this issue I am just going to post this response here though.

Are you just smelling gas and getting error codes or can you actually see wet spots/ fuel leaks? Have you pulled the rear seat and removed that access door to see if you can get any further information (see a leak, see a rodent chewed through something)?

If your issue is with the black fuel vapor line you can repair that yourself. If a rodent chewed through a section of that hose you can repair it two ways. One way is to splice in a replacement hose. You need a hose diameter that you can slide over the black vent tube but that still provides a snug fit (just overlap it a couple inches on both side). You will may also want to make a clean cut of the fuel vapor line as it is probably kind of jagged. If you go this route it is probably a good idea to use a hose that can handle fuel even though that is a fuel vapor line an not an fuel line. My indy mechanic did this exact repair when mice chewed through my fuel vapor line while I had my car stored for the winter a couple of years ago. Not sure exactly what type of line he used but it was pretty flexible, more like a silicone type material.

The second way to repair the fuel vapor line is to replace the whole fuel vapor line as the previous posts have suggested. I have not actually done it myself, but you should be able to tackle it with only minimal diy experience and some patience. You will have to remove the passenger ride rear wheel and fender liner, and probably that little access door. But if you are patient you should be able to replace the vapor line yourself without dropping the tank as others here and on other threads have said they did.

If the issue is with one of the blue fuel lines you could probably also do that yourself, but I am not sure you can do that without dropping the tank. You may not have to drop the tank down completely you might just have to lower it a little to give you access. But I have never done it nor have I read through a write up of the process so I am not sure. It is certainly possible to diy other forum member have done so, but it is a more involved diy. Obviously if you go that route an empty or close to empty tank is going to make your life easier.

fyi I attached a pic of the vapor line repair on my car. I added the zip ties a six months or so after the initial repair, just for my own piece of mind (not sure they are really doing much). The hose has never come lose. This repair was done four or five years ago, although I have not put many miles on my car since then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

E28 1987 535is: Manual, Bilstein HDs, 16" Style 5v2 (from e38) [Sold]

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i 6M
    Solo12- Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, last time I filled tank, I didn't know to remove rear seat and fuel pump cover to look down to see if/where the gas was coming out as it was happening. Given the mess, I really don't want to do it again now either. I am just going to give it to my local BMW independent shop (Motorworks West in Wyckoff NJ btw) to see what they say. With the fuel pump cover removed now though, I can see the tube that connects to the pass side fuel pump looks "wet". i tried to feel around to the vapor line and couldn't feel any obvious holes/tears. Hoping it is not the blue fuel lines, which as you said would require more work. Will keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again.