Thread: E46 key locks and unlocks but will not start the car (used to work fine)

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325XiT

E46 key locks and unlocks but will not start the car (used to work fine)

Hi there. I have 2 keys for my 325 XiT - they both lock and unlock the car, but only one starts the car. The one that stopped working might have gotten wet - found outdoors after missing for a few days. Been through a bunch of threads but cannot seem to find what is the problem or how to fix it! Would like to think I can re-teach the fob to start the car? HELP! Thanks!

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by MajnoLo View Post
    Hi there. I have 2 keys for my 325 XiT - they both lock and unlock the car, but only one starts the car. The one that stopped working might have gotten wet - found outdoors after missing for a few days. Been through a bunch of threads but cannot seem to find what is the problem or how to fix it! Would like to think I can re-teach the fob to start the car? HELP! Thanks!
    As long as you have ONE working key, you can try to re-teach it but I'd venture a guess that it isn't going to work. The moisture likely shorted out the electronics.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325XiT
    thank you - how do I re-teach it?

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    If you reprogram the keys you have to do all of them sequentially and within 30 seconds of the last one to be programmed until all are done.

Update: This video appears to show you how to program the keys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aje2eoDg5v8

Also there is a write up on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/gds/BMW-Key-Prog...7275614/g.html
    Last edited by charter21p5; 05-19-2016 at 09:27 AM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325XiT
    Thank you - I have done that - they both lock and unlock the doors but only one key will actually start the car. With the bad one, I turn to start it - all electrics come on - but there is absolutely no starter motor action. I think I read someplace that there are 2 circuits in the FOB - one for the doors and one for the engine - is that right? Could it be that half the brain of one key has died? Is there a way to replace or repair just that part? Or do I need to replace the PCB in the key? And if I do, is there something special that I need to do to synch it with the engine (other than the door locks which I know how to do)? Enough questions? Thanks!!

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by MajnoLo View Post
    Could it be that half the brain of one key has died?
    Absolutely.

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    I don't want to be patronising but are you SURE you followed the instructions properly?

1) Insert key into the ignition and turn it to the first position, where the drivers info center turns on and a few dummy lights, turn it back off within 5 seconds.
    2) PULL THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION. (this step is mentioned no-where except the E46 re-programming instructions)
    3) Press and hold the unlock button, then push the BMW roundel (lock button) 3 times, pausing for about 2 seconds in between each press. Release the unlock button. The doorlocks should now cycle between lock and unlock. Now your key is programmed to your car.
    4) (may not be necessary but I did it and caused no problems) Re-insert the key into the ignition, turn forward to position 1 and back off within 5 seconds to End programming.

Do all of this within 30 seconds.

I doubt the key got water damaged as they are completely sealed, you have to cut them open if you want to replace the battery. If you replace the battery (or disconnect then reconnect the old one) the key will behave in the exact same way as you described, allowing you to open and close the doors, turn on the electrics, but not start the car. Does your key fob show any signs of having been opened by the PO? If so, maybe you dropping it outside could have dislodged the battery momentarily, it could have gotten water in it etc.. etc...

The key contains one PCB and a battery.

From my understanding, you won't be able to program a new/used PCB to your car. You would have to order a new key from the dealer.
    Last edited by Hellmet; 05-19-2016 at 02:36 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325XiT
    Hello again - I ended up sending THAT key to be repowered and it has worked fine - until it was lost.
    Now I got a new one from a place that says it needs to be programmed, but I am baffled...
    I can program it to lock/unlock the doors no problem.
    BUT:

This is what is happening - I can get the key to start the engine but it keeps losing the program:

I put in my good key, turn to P1, take it out

I press/hold unlock on the new key, press the lock button 3 times, then release

I put in my good key, turn to P1, take it out

I then put my new key in the car and it works. It will start the car.

A few times later it no longer works.

So I reprogram it and it works again, then stops.

What is the problem?

Is the key defective?
    Do I have to bring it to a dealer?

thanks!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Where did you get the new key?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325XiT
    from a place called http://www.keylessremotewarehouse.com/

seemed reputable, and paid $60 for the key. They do say it needs to be programmed...

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    Send me ews and keys you have (or I can make you new ones) and I will make it work
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325XiT
    Hello Driiven
    when you say "send me ews and keys and I will make it work" I have a few questions
    ews?
    presumably send you the new key with issues?
    to where?
    how much do you charge?
    thanks
    LM

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    Hey buddy, PM sent. The keys you bought are junk for usa owners. This key will not work to unlock/lock the vehicle. It will only allow starting of the car once you program it to the vehicle.
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!