Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: E39 Touring 6speed Build

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    Going with M60 down pipes is the way to go, I'm planning to go that route in the spring.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT

E39 Touring 6speed Build

Quote Originally Posted by pietern740il View Post
    Going with M60 down pipes is the way to go, I'm planning to go that route in the spring.

I’ve decided to cut the pre cats out and added a vband clamp to the factory header.

Last week I replaced my old android for a avinusa 10.25 android and it fits the interior nicely

Friday night I pulled the motor out, didn’t feel like removing the front end and removing the ac/ps so I was able to pull it up without the trans

Today I took the transmission and all the under covers home to clean and reseal the transmission

Few more seals and I will be dropping the motor in.

Then all I have to do is figure out the easiest way to reset the self adjusting clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by karies; 12-16-2020 at 12:37 AM.

95 318is - m52 powered, 97 328is - M-package, ​01 540iT/6speed

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    Looks really go, was there a reason you didn't opt for the M60 exhaust manifolds.

I have the M60 exhaust manifolds and the Y pipe from the S62, but not sure if it's the right setup.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Looks really go, was there a reason you didn't opt for the M60 exhaust manifolds.

I have the M60 exhaust manifolds and the Y pipe from the S62, but not sure if it's the right setup.

I hope you mean M60 style and actually have M62 manifolds.
    The pipe stagger at the collector is flipped between m60-62 .
    I have both but haven't bothered to check if the amount of stagger is the same between them, which would allow you to cut the mid pipe at the first curve in and flip them side to side.
    Not enough room for past/present garage

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT

No one locally is parting out a pre face 540i, as I would need the headers and the mid section.

And I didn’t feel like waiting or buying a set off a wrecker for 2x it’s value.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    I hope you mean M60 style and actually have M62 manifolds.
    The pipe stagger at the collector is flipped between m60-62 .
    I have both but haven't bothered to check if the amount of stagger is the same between them, which would allow you to cut the mid pipe at the first curve in and flip them side to side.
    Most likely M62 non tu headers as m60 wouldn’t clear steering box unless it’s not a E39

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    When the border opens, pm me.
    Also the biggest hassle is lengthening the O2 sensor leads to the rearward position.
    Not just wire, but shielded wire.
    Having done the swap, not sure there's much benefit. The tu manifold flows well. Ditch the pre cat, although I'm not saying cats hurt performance.

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    Also the biggest hassle is lengthening the O2 sensor leads to the rearward position.
    Having done the swap, not sure there's much benefit. The tu manifold flows well. Ditch the pre cat, although I'm not saying cats hurt performance.
    Thank for sharing that information. I need to get it out my head that going without preCat provides big HP returns.
    I recall removing Cats on my Toyota Cressida fitted with Supra JZ engine and transmission.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT

I actually cut the cuts right up the o2 sensors, and will be welding a vband flange there.

I also cut the post cats and dudmd codes out my rear cats

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Been busy this week trying to get the motor ready to get dropped in before the New Years.

Welded up the vbands on the stock headers

Got the motor all assembled, had to swap the front driver timing cover as the one on the new motor had stripped threads for the vc

When pulling the timing cover found the issue with the old motor.

After I messed with the motor, I started to replace all the heater hoses, replaced the power steering lines and all new crush washers, and installed a front eibach swaybar.

While having some sun this week cleaned the engine bay.

Before I put the motor in decided to work on the sc mount as it seems to be slight off

Hopefully next update motors in.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Thank for sharing that information. I need to get it out my head that going without preCat provides big HP returns.
    I recall removing Cats on my Toyota Cressida fitted with Supra JZ engine and transmission.

In my experience, the pre-cat exh manifolds on the M62tu Tourings are definitely restrictive. In comparison to swapping in the M62/S62 exh manis on the M62tu I cannot say, as I haven't done that swap. But I can confirm that there's power to be gained by replacing the M62tu pre cats manifolds with long tube headers. In my case I installed the Supersprint headers. The gains documented with these SS headers in the S62 world is between 20-30 WHP, and this is going from the already better flowing M62/S62 exh manis -> SS headers might I add. If you're boosted in my and in karies case, freer (sp?) flowing exh manifolds can only be of greater benefit. No......I didn't dyno my car after installing the SS headers, but the gains (aka butt dyno feel) associated with the S62 isn't that far off on the M62tu, based on the 30+ years I've been modifying cars with performance parts. Take it as you will, just my experience + just my $0.00002 cents.

It would be interesting to see if there are worthy gains to be had by just removing the pre-cats and keeping the M62tu exh manis like karies did. Regardless, I think we can agree that it can only be a positive in terms of performance. Hopefully he'll be able to go back to the dyno one day and give us some data. Keep up the great work karies, I always look forward to reading the updates on your build!
    Last edited by whiteghost1; 12-26-2020 at 09:34 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteghost1 View Post
    In my experience, the pre-cat exh manifolds on the M62tu Tourings are definitely restrictive. In comparison to swapping in the M62/S62 exh manis on the M62tu I cannot say, as I haven't done that swap. But I can confirm that there's power to be gained by replacing the M62tu pre cats manifolds with long tube headers. In my case I installed the Supersprint headers. The gains documented with these SS headers in the S62 world is between 20-30 WHP, and this is going from the already better flowing M62/S62 exh manis -> SS headers might I add. If you're boosted in my and in karies case, freer (sp?) flowing exh manifolds can only be of greater benefit. No......I didn't dyno my car after installing the SS headers, but the gains (aka butt dyno feel) associated with the S62 isn't that far off on the M62tu, based on the 30+ years I've been modifying cars with performance parts. Take it as you will, just my experience + just my $0.00002 cents.

It would be interesting to see if there are worthy gains to be had by just removing the pre-cats and keeping the M62tu exh manis like karies did. Regardless, I think we can agree that it can only be a positive in terms of performance. Hopefully he'll be able to go back to the dyno one day and give us some data. Keep up the great work karies, I always look forward to reading the updates on your build!

Yeah stock catted headers i think would be very restrictive, inlet to the cats are 2.75" and the outlet of the cats are 2.5 then into a dual walled 2.5" mid section to a Y and 2.25" inlet to the resonator.

the car will be going back on the dyno and well be able to see the gains without the cats as that will be the only difference in the setup, im predicting 20whp gains my tuner thinks it will be alot more so we will see.

thanks whiteghost1!!

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Got the motor and transmission all buttoned up!

Just missing fluids and finish up some wiring clean up.

Also installed a slimbones front lip and it makes it look better I think.

Going to start it this weekend and start building the exhaust next week.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Welp this week was an interesting one.

Built my mid section with 2.5” piping, but I will be cutting it to add a flange to make the Center section removable.

After this was all done went to bleed the cooling and found a huge leak coming from the new URo valley pan. So got a replacement today and swapped it out.

While bleeding the cooling the cam sensors seems to be failing and code is coming and going, injector 3/4 don’t seem to be working also for some odd reason has almost no run time.

I’ll be looking into this before dynoing and after putting some mileage on the fresh motor.

But overall I took the car around the block and wow big difference without the cats! But now to see what the actual gains are.

Once I get back on the dyno I will post the gains without the cats.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by karies View Post
    Welp this week was an interesting one.

Built my mid section with 2.5” piping, but I will be cutting it to add a flange to make the Center section removable.

After this was all done went to bleed the cooling and found a huge leak coming from the new URo valley pan. So got a replacement today and swapped it out.

While bleeding the cooling the cam sensors seems to be failing and code is coming and going, injector 3/4 don’t seem to be working also for some odd reason has almost no run time.

I’ll be looking into this before dynoing and after putting some mileage on the fresh motor.

But overall I took the car around the block and wow big difference without the cats! But now to see what the actual gains are.

Once I get back on the dyno I will post the gains without the cats.

URO valley pan? Nooo! Those are known to not be great and fail prematurely. I use genuine valley pans only...

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix
    Damn that car is clean. The paint matched door moldings make it look sharp. Wheel fitment on point.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    URO valley pan? Nooo! Those are known to not be great and fail prematurely. I use genuine valley pans only...
    They’re pretty good, I’ve used 5 and this is the first time I’ve had a failure. Atleast it’s pretty easy popping the intake after you’ve done it a million times lol

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpersob View Post
    Damn that car is clean. The paint matched door moldings make it look sharp. Wheel fitment on point.
    Thanks!!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    They’re pretty good, I’ve used 5 and this is the first time I’ve had a failure. Atleast it’s pretty easy popping the intake after you’ve done it a million times lol

Interesting! I've only heard bad stories about anything URO. Good to know someone has good experience with them.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Interesting! I've only heard bad stories about anything URO. Good to know someone has good experience with them.
    I didn’t say all uro parts hahaha, just their valley pan is probably the best option. Other uro parts aren’t great

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I didn’t say all uro parts hahaha, just their valley pan is probably the best option. Other uro parts aren’t great

I was nervous to install the URO jack pad I purchsed but I think its still good. At least its still attached to the car...

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Car is now running but im having some issues which is delaying me from driving it home.

i keep getting ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG and a code of 67/103- control unit monitoring, which im having a hard time trying to find info on. So i have a bunch of good spare parts which i thought might help but its not. replaced TB with a known working one nothing, Replaced Pedal with a working one same issue. ive also tried to reset the DME adaptations and its not changing anything.

as for drivability i can get a few blocks before the error and i just re-cycle the key an its back to normal, its like the throttle is opening and closing while im driving.

so this coming week im going to bring the car home and out of the shop and remove the ECUMASTER DET3 and see if it will run with a stock DME, if that doesnt help i will try another DME with EWS deleted and possible swap in a new wiring harness i have sitting around to see if it will make a difference.

Now i have a big oil leak! lol i think the new rear main seal is leaking so im going to pull the trans at home and double check before i make my FCP order.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    So bit of an update, car is not dialed and tuned.

Plugged in the laptop and erased the timing off the det3 and car ran mint.

So we strapped it on the dyno and cleaned up the tune. I’m pretty happy with the outcome considering it’s only making 4psi.

The end result 332whp

I have some videos but for some odd reason can’t seem to post them on here. But I did add it on my IG: @arise88

Next few days I will be putting the car back together and figure a location for my wideband.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234