Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E39 Touring 6speed Build

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Ha ha indeed but well done and welcome to the club of finishers!

Can I suggest a blower next? I promise you'll like it.
    THanks! lol

yeah the guy i sold my Royal Touring has a spare blower, was very tempted lol

95 318is - m52 powered, 97 328is - M-package, ​01 540iT/6speed

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Quote Originally Posted by karies View Post
    THanks! lol

yeah the guy i sold my Royal Touring has a spare blower, was very tempted lol
    Congrats on the build! Like many others I am planning to go the 540iT/6 route eventually, but I decided (so far) to persue engine HP first before swapping. Kinda back asswards but that's the way I operate. The 5HP24 is holding up well so far to the extra power and is in great health, so I'll just keep adding HP till it packs it in...... then I'll join your guys exclusive club!
    How much was the guy asking for the blower setup BTW? You can PM me if you'd like to talk about it offline.
    Last edited by whiteghost1; 06-25-2016 at 02:35 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteghost1 View Post
    Congrats on the build! Like many others I am planning to go the 540iT/6 route eventually, but I decided (so far) to persue engine HP first before swapping. Kinda back asswards but that's the way I operate. The 5HP24 is holding up well so far to the extra power and is in great health, so I'll just keep adding HP till it packs it in...... then I'll join your guys exclusive club!
    How much was the guy asking for the blower setup BTW? You can PM me if you'd like to talk about it offline.
    Thanks! yeah if the 5HP24 is healthy then i to wouldve kept it in there, but my reverse was gone when i bought the car so i figured it would be the best time to do a 6speed. he wasn't selling it lol, it was his spare blower.

little bit of a update,

bought broadway static coilovers from kingston, hopefully be here in a few weeks. sold the style 95s and sold a set of the 32's . keeping the rears to make my set staggered with 2 spares. also got a update on my bumper and lip he said it will be here july 15th so hopefully ill be putting everything on next month!

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    did some small stuff this weekend.

cluster pixel repair with silver gauge rings, LED interior and exterior bulbs, installed 6.5" w/ tweeter alpine typeRs in the front, and got finally got some parts from germany.

Last edited by karies; 02-22-2017 at 01:33 AM.

My Cars
    1987 325is 2000 530iT/5
    Looks great! I swapped my wagon to a 530i with a 5 speed and I've been enjoying it. LMK if you need wiring diagrams as I have the bentley books.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by E30NJ View Post
    Looks great! I swapped my wagon to a 530i with a 5 speed and I've been enjoying it. LMK if you need wiring diagrams as I have the bentley books.
    thanks yeah i might need it when it comes time to wire in the cruise control.

so finally got my Coilovers, now my dilemma is either switch from bag to spring or just run the rear bag with the supplied struts.
    Last edited by karies; 02-22-2017 at 01:34 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I love the factory rear bags but if you have a full tuned and matched setup like that... Go w the whole deal.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    So this weekend i decided to put some work in the wagon, installed the front coilovers, didnt get to the back cause realized the rear springs were not Swift springs and i think is a lower rating then the front.
    Last edited by karies; 02-22-2017 at 01:35 AM.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Finally got the ECU coded to manual, and installed the rear FA shocks with the Factory Bags seems to ride fine but ill be putting plates on this tonight to drive it around!
    Last edited by karies; 02-22-2017 at 01:36 AM.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    So after getting the car on the road i figured it needed some bass, and something other then the FM radio stations.

installed 2005 E53 Cd player with MP3, added a Aux adapter, modified/gutter and the OEM sub box to fit a 10in Hertz Subwoofer, and added a MTX RFL404 Amp to power it. didn't need a LOC as the amp had a Low freq built into the amp so i just tapped the rear subwoofer wires and added a RCA end.

Amp is mounted in front of the OEM amp, still need to make a bracket.

all i need to do now is add a Cover for the subwoofer.

Last edited by karies; 02-22-2017 at 01:37 AM.

My Cars
    01 540, 93 325ic, 89 m3
    My wife just killed my 2000 Japan-rot 528it's engine. No coolant. So I'm going to go the route of either m62 or s62 with a manual so she won't drive it again. It's an auto. So I have two hurdles. Going from 6 to 8 cylinder and all the parts needed and the swap from auto to manual. I'm starting to gather all the info since I'm doing this myself. Any advise is appreciated.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotskillse30 View Post
    My wife just killed my 2000 Japan-rot 528it's engine. No coolant. So I'm going to go the route of either m62 or s62 with a manual so she won't drive it again. It's an auto. So I have two hurdles. Going from 6 to 8 cylinder and all the parts needed and the swap from auto to manual. I'm starting to gather all the info since I'm doing this myself. Any advise is appreciated.
    Brutal man. That blows.

On one hand we lament the car makers use of the "Idiot light" CEL / MIL function which can mean anything from disasterous engine malfunction detected to loose gas cap...

On the other hand, you get these stories of "oh yeah the lights all came on, but you know, i had to be someplace so I just kept driving, its not IMPORTANT is it?" (assuming it musta been like that in this case, since an M52 won't ruin an engine without pretty good ruckus of lights and messages being displayed on the dashboard well in advance). The number of times I'm in a civilians car w/ CEL blaring on the dash and ask "whats up with that?" and they go "I dunno... been on for weeks/months/dunno... why is it important?" is really forking pathetic.

Not taking a rip at your wife BTW, just taking oppty to rant about people ignoring their cars.

Advice:
    - Start yer own thread on it - will be fun/interesting project
    - As much as I think they are a somewhat overly maligned motor, hard to advise M62 for all the work and cost required. Unless you are just tripping over super-cheap-to-free M62+tranny donors. Go S62 if you can wrestle funds up.
    - V8 conversion requires a fair bit either way - gotta go get the whole front subframe. Another option for super fun times IMO would be to get an iron I6 and do a turbo build (with manual conversion, natch). If you go whole hog that way you'll be faster than me even. Plus you get to keep rack-steering not box-steering (not as big a deal as people make out, but still...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotskillse30 View Post
    I'll be doing a S62 swap into my 530i soon, and will be documenting it all with a parts list and wiring changes as well as a DIY. Let me go ahead and tell you that it's going to cost a lot of money to do it to an I6 car, because you have to change a lot of parts that the V8 cars don't. You need a whole new suspension, steering, subframe, front spindles, abs precharge pump relocation, air intake ducts (including adding the passenger side snorkel behind the bumper, heat shields, diff, driveshaft, axles, battery positive cable from battery to firewall, etc. You're looking at about $4k for a decent S62, plus about $2k-3k in parts just for doing the swap at a minimum. If I didn't already have the S62, transmission and have already done a 6-speed swap in my 530i, I wouldn't likely be doing the swap. The fact that you're also coming from having a pre-facelift makes it a bit more complicated, though you likely already had drive by wire, so that saves you a bit of issues.

Stay tuned for my thread in the main e39 section when I get around to doing it. I've got a thread in my signature that shows the 6-speed swap and other things I've done in preparation.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    shitty deal, but yes i wouldnt bother with a M62 unless its cheap. for a V8 swap the S62 would be a better choice. and for parts you can either buy a complete parts car like i did or piece it one by one.

Update on the Wagon:

im getting a CEL P1158 - car sometimes doesnt let me pass 3500rpm and if it does the car feels like it has no power at all.

things im going to be replace and try to narrow that down is Fuel Filter, and MAF.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Thats a big sub for a small box, how does it sound?

Quote Originally Posted by karies View Post
    So after getting the car on the road i figured it needed some bass, and something other then the FM radio stations.

installed 2005 E53 Cd player with MP3, added a Aux adapter, modified/gutter and the OEM sub box to fit a 10in Hertz Subwoofer, and added a MTX RFL404 Amp to power it. didn't need a LOC as the amp had a Low freq built into the amp so i just tapped the rear subwoofer wires and added a RCA end.

Amp is mounted in front of the OEM amp, still need to make a bracket.

all i need to do now is add a Cover for the subwoofer.

2001 540it Black/Black --- 2006 M3 Competition Pkg Black/Black
    **FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I'll be doing a S62 swap into my 530i soon, and will be documenting it all with a parts list and wiring changes as well as a DIY. Let me go ahead and tell you that it's going to cost a lot of money to do it to an I6 car, because you have to change a lot of parts that the V8 cars don't. You need a whole new suspension, steering, subframe, front spindles, abs precharge pump relocation, air intake ducts (including adding the passenger side snorkel behind the bumper, heat shields, diff, driveshaft, axles, battery positive cable from battery to firewall, etc. You're looking at about $4k for a decent S62, plus about $2k-3k in parts just for doing the swap at a minimum. If I didn't already have the S62, transmission and have already done a 6-speed swap in my 530i, I wouldn't likely be doing the swap. The fact that you're also coming from having a pre-facelift makes it a bit more complicated, though you likely already had drive by wire, so that saves you a bit of issues.

Stay tuned for my thread in the main e39 section when I get around to doing it. I've got a thread in my signature that shows the 6-speed swap and other things I've done in preparation.
    Wow did not realize you had to change out so much to go from I6 to V8. Hmmmm I do like turbos maybe 2jz or just add a Evo to the stable and call it good.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Wow did not realize you had to change out so much to go from I6 to V8. Hmmmm I do like turbos maybe 2jz or just add a Evo to the stable and call it good.
    In your case, the most cost effective way to get more power would be to throw in an M54B30 or to supercharge your existing engine.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by RSBBlackM3 View Post
    Thats a big sub for a small box, how does it sound?

Sub still gives a decent amount of bass, but i need to disable the speed sensitive on the factory CD weird part is my wagon never had it until i installed the E53 CD. the level increase with the speed sensitive all around is horrible all my speakers distort.

i will be building a proper Sub box, this was just temp to replace the blown factory sub. total Cost was $0 as the amp and the sub was left over parts from my old Wagon.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    So winters coming, mounted some winters on my spare style 5's

also been busy with a car i built a few months ago E36 M3 S54, but in the past couple months I've installed new Plugs, Ccv, NV intake manifold, new intake gaskets, new tb gaskets, installed a aeromotive 340lph pump, Shifter hole boot, new M5 clutch, New slave cylinder, new master, redline Manual Fluids, Wired in a M5 woodgrain 6speed knob, also finally received my Rear 21k Swift springs which ill be installing this winter when my hoist is up and running.

things i have to do still is wiring in my Reverse lights to much cluster, valve cover gaskets and new o2's
    Last edited by karies; 02-22-2017 at 01:38 AM.

My Cars
    01 540, 93 325ic, 89 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Brutal man. That blows.

On one hand we lament the car makers use of the "Idiot light" CEL / MIL function which can mean anything from disasterous engine malfunction detected to loose gas cap...

On the other hand, you get these stories of "oh yeah the lights all came on, but you know, i had to be someplace so I just kept driving, its not IMPORTANT is it?" (assuming it musta been like that in this case, since an M52 won't ruin an engine without pretty good ruckus of lights and messages being displayed on the dashboard well in advance). The number of times I'm in a civilians car w/ CEL blaring on the dash and ask "whats up with that?" and they go "I dunno... been on for weeks/months/dunno... why is it important?" is really forking pathetic.

Not taking a rip at your wife BTW, just taking oppty to rant about people ignoring their cars.

Advice:
    - Start yer own thread on it - will be fun/interesting project
    - As much as I think they are a somewhat overly maligned motor, hard to advise M62 for all the work and cost required. Unless you are just tripping over super-cheap-to-free M62+tranny donors. Go S62 if you can wrestle funds up.
    - V8 conversion requires a fair bit either way - gotta go get the whole front subframe. Another option for super fun times IMO would be to get an iron I6 and do a turbo build (with manual conversion, natch). If you go whole hog that way you'll be faster than me even. Plus you get to keep rack-steering not box-steering (not as big a deal as people make out, but still...)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post

I considered all of the facts, and yes I will be tackling this project with an S62. I'm starting to collect parts and putting away the six cylinder stuff I don't need. So now I'm up to four projects going on at the same time. I just purchased a Porsche 944 to do an LS1 swap. I'm nuts, but my wife loves me.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    some updates, been winter driving the wag and its a beast in the snow!

past few weeks I've been putting in some work as I've been having some hesitation issues.

removed the aeromotive for a New Oem stock Pump, installed new FPR/ reg, Valve cover gasket, spark plugs, painted valve covers, oil change, ordered some denso Pre O2's, ordered a 7in Android Navi unit, finally wired in my reverse lights, LED AE's, 3k HID fogs and picked up a set of wheels!

Varrsteons ES7 18x10.5 + 15 originally off the race car. going to keep the 275s on there so will probably end up rolling the fenders.

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    some updates on the wagon.

installed M5 rear swaybar and new links
    installed aubergine door cards w/ rear shades
    retrofitted EVOX-R projectors, replaced the adjusters with metal ones and polished and wrapped the headlight lens
    Z4m Rear view mirror

things i've gathers and will be install in the next couple weeks once the weathers a bit better
    OEM M5 bumper
    OEM fender liners and belly pan
    M5 silver trim
    ZHP knob
    i will be removing the rear SLS as the ride is very soft and i went throught a set of PSS 275s in 3 months.
    removing the aubergine Cards as i found a all Black with shade rear panels
    M sport dead pedal
    X5 4.8is Cluster with oil pressure and lights

Last edited by karies; 01-31-2018 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Glad to hear your car is doing well! Funny you mention the SLS ride is soft, mine is super rough and is as stiff as concrete. Do you still have stock shocks in the back? I have Koni Yellows and Meyle HD subframe bushings, it's rock hard in the back.

Also, tires wearing out prematurely in the back is either due to excessive camber and/or worn lower ball joints. Once those are sorted it should be about in line with any other 540i in terms of tire wear.
    Last edited by dannyzabolotny; 01-31-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1998 328is 1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Glad to hear your car is doing well! Funny you mention the SLS ride is soft, mine is super rough and is as stiff as concrete. Do you still have stock shocks in the back? I have Koni Yellows and Meyle HD subframe bushings, it's rock hard in the back.

Also, tires wearing out prematurely in the back is either due to excessive camber and/or worn lower ball joints. Once those are sorted it should be about in line with any other 540i in terms of tire wear.

Hey Thanks! besides the New 540i Slave failing last month its not bad lol.

i have the shortened Broadway Static Shocks on max firm. i have a feeling the bags could be all worn out. cause the ones on my E53 are rough and handle better. once i do the rear swift springs that are part of my Broadway set i will be doing the rear suspension.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Think you have some incorrect understandings about how some things cause other things, and how yet other things work.
    Yeah wearing the tires out has zero.zero to do with the SLS.
    And bags don't change spring rate from 'wearing out' like a spring does, they just start to crack and leak overnight.

Danny is 100% right about what causes the rear tires to wear pre-match.

But just go throw parts and bling at it. That's more fun anyway.

Also, get off of my lawn, you can't have your ball back.

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast