Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: New to the scene, need some advice.

My Cars
    03 325i

Question New to the scene, need some advice.

Whats up guys i just bought a 325i, know very little about a lot. I want to leave my suspension stock, dont want to fuck with the offset, want to eliminate wheel gap and prevent rub. If I run 245/35 R 18 would that widen the width on the tires and accomplish what i want? any suggestions to what i cold do im open to. Im out of work for right now so im kind of broke too.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You can't just put on a taller profile tyre as it'll mess up the rolling radius and the car will perhaps go into limp mode. You need to keep within 3% of the OEM rolling radius. If you wish to reduce wheel arch gap to the top of the tyre the only option is to lower the car, which you say you don't want to do. If you *absolutely* won't lower, then there's nothing you can do to reduce that gap.

If you are out of work and broke currently, live with the car as it is and once you are working again, then perhaps look to purchasing high quality springs which will give a very compliant ride and lower the car perhaps 20-30mm, brands like H&R, Eibach and others do products which are excellent. Avoid the budget choices as the risk of a less compliant ride is higher as there's not nearly as much R&D that goes into those.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    03 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

You can't just put on a taller profile tyre as it'll mess up the rolling radius and the car will perhaps go into limp mode. You need to keep within 3% of the OEM rolling radius. If you wish to reduce wheel arch gap to the top of the tyre the only option is to lower the car, which you say you don't want to do. If you *absolutely* won't lower, then there's nothing you can do to reduce that gap.

If you are out of work and broke currently, live with the car as it is and once you are working again, then perhaps look to purchasing high quality springs which will give a very compliant ride and lower the car perhaps 20-30mm, brands like H&R, Eibach and others do products which are excellent. Avoid the budget choices as the risk of a less compliant ride is higher as there's not nearly as much R&D that goes into those.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Alright so drop the car, now what if I wanted to have a wider stance im gunna have to adjust the offset so none of that happens right?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by mje3ny View Post

Alright so drop the car, now what if I wanted to have a wider stance im gunna have to adjust the offset so none of that happens right?
    The 245/35/18 proposed by the OP are fine. They are practically the same as 245/40/17, the factory M3 rear size from 96-99. I prefer 17s to 18s, though. Id do the wider rubber at all 4 corners. You may need 5-12mm spacers up front. There is limited space in rear fenders to space wheels out further before you will scrape on outer fender over bumps, but you can roll the lips to help.