Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need BF.C's collective help on my rattle issue

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    6 cyl problems... Am I right?

Interesting point of view... although I have to wonder why it just decided not to mesh one day but was fine for thousands of KM before?
    Could be new parts seating into the old parts and just not meshing. Could be a miscalculated shim. Might need reshimming.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Shimming what?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Maybe the noise the the valves slamming shut with those super duper heavy springs.
    Just maybe.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Maybe the noise the the valves slamming shut with those super duper heavy springs.
    Just maybe.
    only at the front?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    Shimming what?
    Nothing is shimmed so not sure what he means by it either.

Just maybe.
    Maybe I should do the valve spring delete mod?

My Cars
    86 325es
    The valves will still be riding the closing ramp of the cam but that is an interesting thought. If you ever turn a cam by hand in the motor with no chain installed the cam will force itself to turn every 60 degrees as one pair of springs pushes on the cam lobes. I wonder if at certain rpm's the cam is accelerating slightly and putting slack in the vanos gears and then taking it up again. Kind of like trans gear rattle with a lightweight flywheel. This seams astronomically unlikely to me. But if I read the OP correctly it was the only thing changed when the noise started.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I helped a friend with an s50 cam swap, engine was quiet before and after had the same exact noise you are describing, you could out your hand on the front of the valve cover where the chains are and you would've thought the chains were touching the valve cover, after many "vanos rebuilds" he brings it to a local guy who is pretty well versed in bmw's, told him he needed the anti rattle shim for the intake cam, and the 3 or 4 wearable parts ofof the vanos system, engine quiet now.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Have a rattle in my engine too - not cold, only warm, and usually around 2.5k rpm - 4k rpm (higher I can't hear anything due to exhaust) and part throttle. Like, if I am slightly accelerating or decelerating, nothing. But if I am in that kind of latent area of part throttle cruisingish... I don't even have VANOS lol. Just been leaving with it but I want to figure it out eventually.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Its the heavy spring rattle.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Its the heavy spring rattle.
    With the update, you also need longer studs since the stack height increases.

My Cars
    1990 329tis e30
    Do you have an M50 intake manifold swap?,if you have its more likely coming from the manifold,after I did my m50 intake on my m52 I got the same noise that is right around 2500-3000 rpm,its a resonating noise ,at least in my case.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by George318 View Post
    Do you have an M50 intake manifold swap?,if you have its more likely coming from the manifold,after I did my m50 intake on my m52 I got the same noise that is right around 2500-3000 rpm,its a resonating noise ,at least in my case.
    I have an M50NV that had an OBD1 intake and it did it, and then I switched to a DI intake and it still did it. It sounds like valvetrainish noise, but, eh. I might break it down some day. Just a minor thing - most people don't notice it.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    It seems like there was an iphone application that would pinpoint vibrations with the accelerometer and/or mic. Its been years though.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    I do have an M50 manifold but it has been on my motor since I even turbo'd my stock M52, and since I put my built motor in... So highly unlikely that all of a sudden I would develop a resonance in the intake manifold out of the blue that was never there before.

Also the noise is VERY pronounced in the front valvecover/vanos area... you can hear and feel it there directly. Sounds do travel in an engine so it wouldn't surprise me if it happened to be somewhere else.

That said, I'm going to call my BMW dealer today to get a quote on a new set of discs, spring and bolts for the intake cam. If I'm pulling everything apart again, they're going to get changed lol

My Cars
    1990 329tis e30
    On my e36 after I swapped the intake mani it started to make a noise very close to that engine noise that you linked it here,and I have the same noise in my e30 m50 nv turbo,I hoped for you was the same and an easy fix as ignore it like I do?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    On my e36 after I swapped the intake mani it started to make a noise very close to that engine noise that you linked it here,and I have the same noise in my e30 m50 nv turbo,I hoped for you was the same and an easy fix as ignore it like I do?
    I will certainly look into it and appreciate the feed back!

My Cars
    E30
    I've got the same thing going on as well with my s50. Had a cracked head so I swapped in a m50nv head modded to fit vanos and since then I have a rattle in the valve train area similar to vanos rattle. So I Rebuilt vanos with besian anti rattle kit, noise still present. Bought a dr.vanos in hopes to resolve it, well it wasn't, so that was a waste of money. Still have the noise, I have around 20k on my built motor with the rattle going on and no issues. I'd definatly like to resolve the noise though as the sound drives me nuts, so hopfully you figure it out.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted E30 View Post
    I've got the same thing going on as well with my s50. Had a cracked head so I swapped in a m50nv head modded to fit vanos and since then I have a rattle in the valve train area similar to vanos rattle. So I Rebuilt vanos with besian anti rattle kit, noise still present. Bought a dr.vanos in hopes to resolve it, well it wasn't, so that was a waste of money. Still have the noise, I have around 20k on my built motor with the rattle going on and no issues. I'd definatly like to resolve the noise though as the sound drives me nuts, so hopfully you figure it out.
    Well as odd as this may seem, the increasing amount of people that I'm finding who also have this issue is oddly comforting lol

Still yes, I need to get to the bottom of it all since it just sounds ugly.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    So apparently its more common then we thought.

Thats the good news, along with the fact that no one has ever had any failures as a result of it.

Bad news is that nobody has fixed it... Except for me when I swapped engines hahaha :P

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post

Thats the good news, along with the fact that no one has ever had any failures as a result of it.

Bad news is that nobody has fixed it... Except for me when I swapped engines hahaha :P
    Thats the ticket. If the motor rattles just get a new one. Spread the word, problem solved.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Thats car repair 101. Duh.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    I'd just replace the whole car. Easier than the engine.

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post
    I'd just replace the whole car. Easier than the engine.
    +1 Totally agree.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post

The M50 guys fixed their issues by putting the late style VANOS plates and spring...

EVeryone else just seems to live with the noise or goes to a mechanic and they say it's normal.

I can't see how this noise is normal, it just sounds plain ugly.

Also I'm not convinced that it doesn't actually do anything performance wise... Maybe not at WOT, but at PT in certain areas of the map I can feel and see the car hesitate/jerk around and my MAP sensor confirms it. I believe it has to do with the state of the engagement of the VANOS... if it's just starting to engage, etc.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    The M50 guys fixed their issues by putting the late style VANOS plates and spring...

EVeryone else just seems to live with the noise or goes to a mechanic and they say it's normal.

I can't see how this noise is normal, it just sounds plain ugly.

Also I'm not convinced that it doesn't actually do anything performance wise... Maybe not at WOT, but at PT in certain areas of the map I can feel and see the car hesitate/jerk around and my MAP sensor confirms it. I believe it has to do with the state of the engagement of the VANOS... if it's just starting to engage, etc.
    Just want to reiterate, I too have a rattley noise part throttle, say < 5% at mid RPM, oil warm, etc. No jerking/etc., but it's there... and without VANOS.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast