Thread: 03 e46 330 whatgrip drift build

My Cars
    E46 330

03 e46 330 whatgrip drift build

I bought this coupe 2 weeks ago and I have only been able to drive it around town a little. I'm planning on a full gut and drift build out of it. I build slowly so I can use it so major overhauls and major changes will be further down the road.

Yanked the diff. Took about 3 hrs, never worked on bmw before. My experience is S-chassis nissans.

Welded it up, migged with fr cloth stuffed In it so no splatter on gears.

Last edited by swaneewillwin; 05-11-2016 at 02:44 PM.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Yessss, more E46s!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    What size are those rims? I'm looking for 18x9s in the stock stuff. 18x10s would be nice too.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    e46's for days. dont use your lower camber arms as jack points, they are super weak on these cars. good luck with the build, get er done and slide the thing!

My Cars
    98 323
    it's funny you mention that, you can see em bending in the picture :
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    E46 330
    So this thug was a bear last night the cv joint at the back of the driveshaft doesn't want to play nice and separated. I have been looking everywhere to find out why the shield and bearing doesn't want to squeeze back together.

Wheels are 18x8 in front 18x9 in rear.

Only modified equipment is that it has bc coils.

The part that looks bent is the plastic cover on the lca(camber arm... whatever bmw calls it)

My Cars
    E46 330
    Thread revivial. I am having issues with this pig starting. It is so intermittent and I don't even know what I do to get it to start when it finally starts.

2nd the dash went out and won't come back on no matter what I do.

3rd when it starts and runs the interior lights surge really slow but constant.

If I could remove these hiccups I could progress with this actually being a drift car.

Everytime I start researching the issues I just want to start bashing my head on the steering wheel. Take it to the dealer is everyone's answer and nobody wants to fix the problems themselves.

If anyone has an idea for resolution or questions to further diagnose please hit me up.

Thanks.

I have only put maybe 40 miles on this thing in a year.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Start with fuses, check for shorts, etc. If you really wanna get into it like I did when I noticed my car had wiring issues rip the dash out and trace every wire start to finish.

Does it sound like the starter grinds when it fails to start?

You can even video for us. Just about everyone in this drifting section does their own work so this is not a bad place to ask
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    E46 330
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Start with fuses, check for shorts, etc. If you really wanna get into it like I did when I noticed my car had wiring issues rip the dash out and trace every wire start to finish.

Does it sound like the starter grinds when it fails to start?

You can even video for us. Just about everyone in this drifting section does their own work so this is not a bad place to ask
    I have checked all the fuses. (Taking each one out and reinserting.) I have checked the 5 under the hood on driver side by the computer. I don't know if I have the patience to trace every wire.

It cranks and cranks and randomly it will start. Not every time and I don't crank longer than 10 sec at a time. I took apart the column and dielectric greased the ignition switch plugs and checked those wires. Nothing stands out. Battery has died before, I have checked it and recharged it tests fine. The positive cable breaker at the terminal seems fine I would like to remove it and put a solid wire terminal on eventually.

I have tested the fuel rail and I can hear the fuel pump when I cycle the key.

The key fob battery died lately but the problem happened before it died and the car has started without a battery in the key fob.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    How does it act when it doesnt start?

My Cars
    1995 325i, 1998 M3 Coupe
    Not sure if the E46 had a similar ring around the ignition that's an antenna for the chip in the key. The wires are reall fragile on the e36 antenna. Might try moving the wires around while ranking to see if it'll start for you. I had one go bad and it would crank all day and the fuel pump was on but no ignition.

My Cars
    E46 330
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeE36325 View Post
    Not sure if the E46 had a similar ring around the ignition that's an antenna for the chip in the key. The wires are reall fragile on the e36 antenna. Might try moving the wires around while ranking to see if it'll start for you. I had one go bad and it would crank all day and the fuel pump was on but no ignition.
    I did notice a plug going to the collar around the ignition and wondered if that was that. Is there a way I can disable it entirely. I will also Search my question.

When I say disable I was debating on a switch panel and need to know what will limp the car.

Thanks

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    1995 325i, 1998 M3 Coupe
    Yeah the wires coming out of the collar may have pulle out on the inside I was able to reconnect them on the inside but it didn't last. I deleted ews and that took care of things.

My Cars
    Shopping for an E46
    Planning on any angle mods?