Thread: e36 m50b25 turbo build

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I blew one up while supercharged.

Looking at a Rhd engine bay is a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i sedan
    After about 5 months of pushing my build to be completed by December 11th we had some major set-backs. on Friday the 9th during the tuning the Coil packs shat themselves at 130kw, the turbo was completely out of its efficiency range, the 650cc Bosch injectors weren't actually Bosch and they weren't performing anywhere near 650cc should. And the previously tiny weep in the valve cover gasket with the extra pressure turned into a relatively major leak going straight onto the turbo manifold causing a serious fire risk. Along with all these issues the coilpacks and injectors were leaning out the motor and causing detonation issues on the dyno even though I was running e85 ethanol fuel. The worst part was the car wasn't even safe to drive in the hill climb on the 11th.

This was a devastating news after all the hard work leading up to the event. And at this point my plan of attack is to pull the motor again and do it properly. This includes cometicheadgasket, ARP head studs, baffled sump, new gaskets all round, Remote coil packs, 1000cc injectors and poly or solid motor/ trans mounts. With all that said and done garage 7 said they would expect it to be a 400kw capable motor with the current turbo. At this point 400kw is more than im after but it would be nice to have the capability to wind it up if need be.

Here's how the car is sitting at the moment.

I decided not to cancel my entry into the hill climb which meantIi had to go out and buy another car on Friday. I didn't want to spend too much on a car I didn't intend on keeping very long. I managed to pickup a Holden Vectra 2L manaul fwd for $790. I had an absolute blast and the car was a complete piece of shit, so I gave the car hell but had no issues at all.

so here's the Race car sitting next to the "racecar"

and a bit of fun at the start line.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Ahhh "The pursuit of power leads to sadness". Once you dropped it no more sadnesses, and you got to enjoy the event .

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

Don't use a MLS gasket if you're going to stay on e85. The higher stock compression will spool the turbo faster and make more power with good gas. Just go over it again and use quality parts. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use stock coils and good plugs like everyone else.

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i sedan
    So, after being overseas for a month on a family holiday I had a chance to reflect on my build. where I wanted to go with it and how much money I wanted to spend. it's no secret that the budget build has blown out significantly. Reliability is the word that comes to mind and the reason I make the decisions I do. for example. do I buy a zf box or do i risk the Getrag 225 blowing up on the dyno and being a major limiting factor in the build. I want to try and finish the project up and start entering it in every event I can which is why I built it in the first place.

when I got back from my holiday I wanted to get the ball rolling again which meant, as usual dropping a stack of cash on parts that I should have bought in the first place. I bought 1000cc Xspurt injectors which were recommended by the tuner along with mercury remote coil packs. i also recently purchased a CES motorsport cutring headgasket with arp 2000 studs. John at CES is great to deal with. now lets just hope the headgasket can take the beating!

my intention is the pull the motor again and tidy everything up properly. im hoping to also have the manifold ceramic coated whilst the engine is out.

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i sedan
    So it's been 5 months since my last post. it's been a combination of waiting on parts and saving money for fabrication work which has caused the delay. i've picked up a few parts pretty cheaply along the way. I'll have to edit this post and add to it as I remember things but ill try and keep it in order.

the first on my list of goodies is an Achilles sump baffle. as much as I haven't heard of m50's having oil starve issues I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

I also bided my time and waited for a number of AEM gauges to come up for sale. I now have AFR, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, and a Tru Boost in my home made clear acrylic pod. I think I can probably do better but at this stage, I have other things I'd rather spend my time on.

obviously, the AFR gauge isn't in there yet. I have managed to put together this setup for about $500 which I'm pretty happy with since most of the AEM gauges are roughly $400 each if you buy them new.

I have also scored 2 full sets of style 66's which are not only one of my favourite BMW wheels for e36's but also a good offset for factory guards and decent widths for meaty tyres. i have one set in factory silver and I got my second set powder coated a custom bronze which is just off the TE37 bronze.

one of my favourite new touches on the car is my Nardi 330mm leather deep corn. it's quite small which I like a lot and also heaps nicer than the factory 390mm sports wheel which came on the car. this is another one of the things i had my eyes on and waited for a very clean second hand one to come up for a fraction of the price. since I knew I would go down the path of having a cage in the car I decided to get a quick release. I opted for the Brown and Geeson unit paired with an OMP hub boss. the B&G unit is incredible quality and looks the business too.

for now, the car is completely packed with fruity parts waiting to go on. but sits dormant. im really pushing to get it back in the works over the next few months as I'm entered in the victoria park sprints in December and would really like to have some testing time at the track before then!

every now and then i do take her out for a rinse though

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i sedan
    its been 4 months since my last post and parts have been piling up even more. The car is now down at the workshop for more fabrication and various other work. my deadline in December this year is really nearing in and I'm nervous I won't be able to get out for much testing before the event but hopefully, it should push through. i've got a lot to cover but dont be surpised if this post is edited.

I bought a new toy which im just using for daily duties which has also taking some of my funding. the e36 is still the priority though!

We started by pulling the motor back out to put in the cutring head gasket amongst other parts to freshen the motor up. we started by tearing the motor down by removing intake and exhaust manifolds. I was shocked when we pulled the turbo and manifold off after deciding to remake the manifold. the custom manifold was completely ruined by rust and the exhaust housing of the turbo wasn't far off. lucky after tidying it up it didn't pit the steel around the core itself meaning I didn't have to throw the turbo out. none the less it meant I needed a completely new manifold to not risk damaging the turbo and other parts by rust shavings being sucked into the turbo.

So here's a few photos of the new manifold.

So I wanted a new seat cover for my Recaro SPG since everything else was getting a revamp. I could only find 1 place in the world which still had stock of new seat covers for the SPG and unfortunately, I had to pay more than what I wanted to but I love the seat and I'm really happy with how it looks now.

The rear end got a complete revamp with a full M3 Evo rear end. this included the cradle, diff, half shafts, brakes, trailing arms and shock arms. The large case diff had leaking seals so I decided to rebuild it at the same time for a track backlash setup and blue printing.

obviously whilst the rear end was out of the car the rear subframe got the weld in plates as did the trailing arm locations. I also decided to powder coat the whole rear end to tidy things up a bit. This also meant every bush in the rear end is now brand new.

The person who sold me the Evo rear end also said it would be worthwhile rebuilding the half shafts. I took their word for it as all the gear came out of a running M3 Evo which this bloke had been driving. by the looks of the grease in the joints he was right. there wasn't any discolouration of the steel though so hopefully they hadnt been exposed to extreme conditions.

I lost some of the E12 bolts that hold the inner ends of the half shafts to the diff. BMW wanted $600 for new bolts so i chose to ditch the BMW bolts and cahnge to hex nut high tensile brand new bolts which were only $12. I can't see this causing any issues.

Before the motor was pulled out of the car I ran a bottle of Liqui Molly Engine Detox through it to clean out any gunk in the system. it pulled a decent amount of residue out which was seemingly a good result. however, when I pulled the sump off to install the achilles motorsport sump baffle there was evidently still plenty of unwanted gunk in the oil. this got a good clean and hopefully that's the last of it.

When I went to install my AGI bolt in half cage I was challenged with the decision of how far to push the interior of the build. after a day of pondering I made the decision to remove the remainder of the interior carpet and sound deadening. I used dry ice to remove the sound deadening which was a bit of a pain but removed much more weight than I thought. This then meant I had to paint the interior where the sound deadening was removed from. I also made the decision to remove the heater core as I had already removed the AC. and since I removed the heater core the dash was already out of the car so I decided to get the dash flocked. for just $150 I think it really adds to the interior look.

Last edited by crapet01; 10-23-2017 at 07:23 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I like

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Where did you get that clear vent/radio cover?

That thing is sick. Throw a couple LED lights in there and it would be on point

My Cars
    E46M3, S52T E30, E21T
    I would VERY MUCH like to purchase your old manifold, sir. I would like to use it to build a jig and have the ability to create a few more for others. Is that something we can talk about?
    CURRENT:
    Racecar: '81 e21 320i Group2. GT28 @ 25psi, MS2, e28 M5 suspension/brakes underneath, forged, cammed, 400bhp, 2190lbs, etc, etc...
    Daily: '95 e34 540/6. DUDMD tuned, vogtland/koni, Schnitzers, other minor touches.
    Project: '94 525iT. S50 swapped, supercharger in the works, manual swapped, Airlift supsension, Mpars, Brembo's, clean machine.
    New daily: e60 530i sport package. Stock.

My Cars
    E30 M50B28 Turbo
    Here's a tip; when you start that beyotch up on corn juice, you let it run until shit is properly hot! Otherwise the water vapor will condense onto all sorts of parts and rust. That includes your bores! The worst scenario is a quick startup and shut down cuz you moved the car in or out of the garage, now the manifold and turbo are warmish and covered in condensed water, but the bores are still cold. The steamy crap from the manifold etc now finds a nice convenient place to condense back onto, and that is any bore with open exhaust valves.

I haven't seen rust inside my turbo and manifold, but I was shocked to see an even brown haze in every bore! So these days I do not start the car unless I intend to run it to almost full temp.
    1989 E30 - M50B28 Turbo - ZF 8 Speed

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i sedan
    thanks for the input everyone.

328ifun: I made that clear piece myself. it wasn't overly difficult if you can get some clear acrylic and a heat gun to mould it.

Dangerwillrbnsn: unfortunately the old manifold got cut up to reuse the exhaust flange and merge pipe. also, everything else was so badly rusted it was thrown away.

Nutzy: every time I personally started the car I was sure to run it until oil had reached proper operating temp. my theory is that the damage was done when the car was simply being started to be moved in and out of the workshop on a day to day basis.

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i sedan
    So it's been a very long time since my last post. The car finished up on the dyno this time last week and made 275kw at 13psi before the clutch started slipping. im happy with this power for now and I'm glad the weak point of my setup is the clutch. luckily this all panned out just in time for Mt Alma Mile Hillclimb.

The first ever time I got to properly open the car up was in the sighting lap on the day of the event. its a completely different car which is obviously what I was expecting but wow. what a machine I've built.

the first 3 runs of the day went flawlessly for the car which was amazing considering the overheating issues/ fueling issues I had leading upto the event. the car pulled like a train and the only thing stopping me going faster was better tyres and time to properly adjust my brake bias as I was having serious issues braking late as the rear end was getting very happy under brakes.

Unfortunately in the 4th run of the day after a big burnout at the start line to warm the tyres up the motor gave in. it happened right on the shift from 3rd to 4th at high rpm. I suspected it to have been a miss-shift at first but after doing a lot of reading and speaking to mechanics who work on highly modified cars I'm thinking it may have dropped a valve/ had valve float meaning the valve contacted the piston or snapped a timing chain. However, the motor still isn't apart to confirm. it's important to note I have severe lifter tick which I was under the impression would go away after a while... this time I will be using Supertech dual valve springs with titanium retainers and possibly upgrading the valves themselves.

All in all, I had an awesome weekend racing with mates and even though I took home the bronze between a few mates that's just motorsport. I can't wait to have the car back out again!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123