Thread: Convertible top won't close - fully manual top, after conversion from power top

My Cars
    E36 Estoril M3 Sedan...RIP....1998 Estoril Vert

Convertible top won't close - fully manual top, after conversion from power top

I've completely replaced my top, headliner, straps, gaskets, and converted the power top to manual with the 323i manual power top components, but my top won't close. Opens and closes smoothly until it reaches the part where the last section is supposed to latch down. Could this be a sensor issue or did I incorrectly install something or am I missing something? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

It feels constrained - I have put some weight on it but doesn't want to fold down towards the windshield. While the tonneau cover is open in the pictures, it jams up at the same spot with the tonneau cover closed and in the correct position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Either the motor is at its end, or the rods are not adjusted properly. Both most likely.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    See my response in the convertible section

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I'm confused. If the top is manual, why as there a discussion of the motors and sensors?

My Cars
    JDS - correct, it was a fully auto top and now has only the manual hardware. I've removed all motors and the original hardware for the fully auto top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    On the Semi Auto top. the tension bar -- the last bar, below the back window -- has to drop before the header bow can be pulled to the windshield header. There is no practical purpose, but you can hold the tonneau cover raised and see what happens when you lower the tension bow. It must go to a point where it lays flat on the tonneau cover. The only reason you would do this -- lower the tension bow while the cover is up -- is to observe the mechanical interactions.

If I was undertaking this project, I think I would do it while the fabric was off. That way, I could make sure the top structure worked correctly. Once I got the top to fold and unfold and latch properly, including the tonneau cover, then I would put the fabric on. If the fabric is too tight, you can have the symptoms that are beating you up.

- - - Updated - - -

QUESTION
    Did you convert the auto top into a manual top be removing the motors, or did you take the auto top off of the car and put a manual top on? I think there are three motors, the roof motor, the cover motor, and the motor that drives the header bow and latches. You are describing something that would go sideways on you because of the header bow motor.

The auto top has linkages that are tied to motor operations, and without the motor you might have to physically remove the linkage parts. The auto, full or semi, run autonomously and then have switches that turn motors on and off so that collisions among the various parts will be avoided. The manual top only has you paying attention to things going on, so the fail-safe stuff might actually be getting in the way.

My Cars
    I removed all three motors and all linkages/rods in the tonneau cover compartment. I did not remove any hardware on the bows. Any ideas on where to look for these fail safe components?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I'm confused from all po Said.. 1 it's a semi auto top without motors. 2. The front end of the top will not suppress to the a frame to latch.
    3. He showed a picture of the top while the tonue cover is still up and the top in mid faze. If you removed all the rails you should have looked at the OD connection pionts to the top. Hopefully you didn't leave any hardware in the hole possibly.?

- - - Updated - - -

But from looking at your new pics. The rear window section of the top must fold down to the tonue cover BEFORE the front of the top will close. Your problem is with the rear end of the top coming down properly. Check that area of linkages back to the trunk.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You still have the header from
    The fully auto top. You have to crank it down manually. Get rid of the header and the latch motors and get the header from a manual
    Or semi auto top. It has a T handle that latches it to the windshield.

My Cars
    i've removed the header from the fully auto top and removed the front latch motor and replaced it with the t handle, its just hard to see in the pictures.

check out this video i just loaded to youtube, which may give everyone a better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVUW8G86gk

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Ok
    The video helps. Your tension straps are too tight. You are not getting to the "tension point"

Have someone hold the tension bow while you pull down on the t handle. Keep in mind you have a new top and that needs to stretch. Once you get it closed let it sit for 3-4 days. Sitting in the sun would be a plus

My Cars
    Thanks everyone - Flyfishvt, you were right. I unscrewed the tension strap from one of the bows, and that gave me enough play to get to the tension point and lock it down to the windshield. I'll leave it there for a few days and let it stretch out before playing with it further. It is so tight right now that the rear window has about a 1 inch gap between the gasket and the tonneau cover.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by newe36m3 View Post
    I'll leave it there for a few days and let it stretch out before playing with it further. It is so tight right now that the rear window has about a 1 inch gap between the gasket and the tonneau cover.

You might have the straps too tight, still. The tension bow should rest flat on the tonneau cover. Also, the fabric of the roof is glued to the tension bow and/or secured by a strip that is screwed on. If you made the fabric too tight, it might not be able to stretch enough that the tension bow will ever get to the tonneau cover.

On my car, before I replaced the fabric the tension bow would slam on the tonneau cover. It would free fall as soon as the cover closed, then I could pull the header down and latch it. The header will not come down until the tension bow comes down, then the forward sections of the roof add the rigidity that makes everything become tight. If the tension bow is not down, the header section of the roof will be very difficult to pull down.

My Cars
    1998 328ic manual
    Same issue. Please help me out. I’m about too loose my job because I can’t get this top down.
    Can someone show me or explain to me where the tension strap is and where it connects to the bow. What did you unscrew?
    Please help

Alpine 7even is offline The King Of E38 Custom BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e38 iL, F-e38 iL, e23 L7
    Same^ full manual top. No matter what I do, I can’t get the top to seal on the tonneau cover. There’s a slight gap. Enough to slide my finger under the gap.this is my first e36 convertible. So any guidance would be much appreciated. Or possibly a link to a diagram.
    Last edited by Alpine 7even; 04-15-2019 at 08:31 AM.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    There are shims under the horizontal mounting points for the soft top frame in the tonneau. If you have a gap in the rear bow you can remove shims to lower the entire assembly. Check out the convertible sub section.

Alpine 7even is offline The King Of E38 Custom BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e38 iL, F-e38 iL, e23 L7
    Awesome! Ya noticed those last night. How many “should” there be?