Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 LS swap questions

My Cars
    2000 “560i”

E39 LS swap questions

So it looks like I'm going to be putting my Iron LS2/LS3 in a E39 instead of putting it in place of the Ford 5.0L in my "soon to be for sale" E28. The swap vehicle is a 2000 528i in pretty good shape. Pics of the car are coming soon but in the meantime I've got a few questions.

Oil pan: I understand that because the original engine is a inline 6, that subframe requires a rear sump pan. Is it possible to use a Gen 4 truck pan (L92/L96) without it hanging too low? If not, which aluminum pan would be best?

Motor mounts: In looking at the beautiful mounts offered by "JesusFreak" they look very similar to those that came on the 04-06 GTO and I have a set of those already. Has anyone tried using the GTO aluminum stands with the original BMW isolators?

Instrument cluster: I've read that the cluster has to be re-coded to accept an analog tach signal and I've also seen that folks have switched back to a 1997 cluster. Which method is better? I plan on using the BMW sensors for water & oil, do the signals go direct to the cluster or does the DME or CAN buss come into play?

Fueling: Looks like the Vette filter regulator can go in place of the BMW combination valve underneath the car, correct? How about the fuel pump? Can a Walbro 255 fit in place of the factory?

Lastly, I would greatly appreciate the list of pitfalls, "oh crap" and "should have" learning experiences.

Thanks in advance for any information you all can provide!

S.F.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Copied over from your LS1tech thread:

Truck pan hangs too low, try a rear sump camaro pan. Some folks have also cut the bottom off a truck pan and rewelded it to be shorter, but I don't know if you lose any baffling with that setup.

I don't think anyone has tried GTO stands, you should be the first!

Your 2000 528i will be looking for CAN signals for RPM and coolant temp, so you will need to code it over to analog. That's far easier IMHO than swapping a cluster, which will then have incorrect mileage anyhow.

Use a C5 Vette FPR, stock fuel pump should work, I think some folks have retrofitted Walbros in E39s.

See my sig for build thread. I used an 8 cylinder chassis which has different oil pan and engine mount arrangement, but otherwise a good resource.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
    Copied over from your LS1tech thread:

Truck pan hangs too low, try a rear sump camaro pan. Some folks have also cut the bottom off a truck pan and rewelded it to be shorter, but I don't know if you lose any baffling with that setup.

I don't think anyone has tried GTO stands, you should be the first!

Your 2000 528i will be looking for CAN signals for RPM and coolant temp, so you will need to code it over to analog. That's far easier IMHO than swapping a cluster, which will then have incorrect mileage anyhow.

Use a C5 Vette FPR, stock fuel pump should work, I think some folks have retrofitted Walbros in E39s.

See my sig for build thread. I used an 8 cylinder chassis which has different oil pan and engine mount arrangement, but otherwise a good resource.

Thank you very much for replying with helpful info! If my car comes out half as nice as yours I will be very happy! Could you elaborate on the coding procedure? I read a little about NCS-expert but am uncertain if the adapters sold on eBay have the necessary software. Can it be done after the car has the GM drivetrain or do I need to do it before tearing things apart?

Thanks!
    S.F.

My Cars
    99 528iT
    I hope the coding can be done later, because I haven't done it yet. I fit a Walbro 255 in place of the stock pump without difficulty.
    What will you use to control the LS engine?
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoRotate View Post
    I hope the coding can be done later, because I haven't done it yet. I fit a Walbro 255 in place of the stock pump without difficulty.
    What will you use to control the LS engine?
    I am using the pcm an harness from a 2003 Yukon. I modified the harness for stand alone and had Brendan @ lt1swap.com flash the pcm.

In addition to the NCS coding question, I'd love to know if anyone has used the Holley 302-2 or 302-1 swap oil pans with the 6 cylinder subframe. All the threads I've seen show the autocraft/champ stamped steel pan. I want to use a more OEM type aluminum pan if possible. Something about how the oil filter adapter assembly is made on the stamped steel ones just bugs me.....

Thanks!

S.F.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Several of us are using this pan. It's a perfect fit in the I6 E39. I used an Aeromotive 340 pump instead of the Walbro 255.

http://www.autokraft.org/products/

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Several of us are using this pan. It's a perfect fit in the I6 E39. I used an Aeromotive 340 pump instead of the Walbro 255.

http://www.autokraft.org/products/
    And no one has any issue with leaks from the oil filter adapter? Looks like two bolts hold it to a extension welded to the pan rail and has o-rings sandwiched in between. Did you have to modify the BMW pump housing to accept the Aeromotive?

Thanks!
    S.F.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    No leaking for me over the last few years. I used the stock housing and modified the filter pickup area to work. Used zip ties to hold it in place.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    No leaking for me over the last few years. I used the stock housing and modified the filter pickup area to work. Used zip ties to hold it in place.
    Very cool, thank you for the photos!

S.F.

- - - Updated - - -

The car:

2000 528i with a toasted M52.

The engine:

2010 Iron 6.0L LS2/LS3 hybrid. Now running LS3 intake manifold.

S.F.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StolenFox; 05-15-2016 at 09:23 PM.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Very cool. I am running an iron block too. LSx 427.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    I read through your build, very impressive! Mine is on a shoestring budget, and will not be one of the big power cars such as yours and some of the turbo cars. Should still be fun with 450hp at the flywheel though.... I think I am too new here to send PM's but would like to ask you a few questions. Would you mind emailing me at: stolenfox at live dot com?

Thank you,
    S.F.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You will have plenty of power with that setup. Will send an email shortly.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    You will have plenty of power with that setup. Will send an email shortly.
    Thank you!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Got your last email. I would have to go through my thread to find the photos of the oil pan from underneath and have been pretty swamped today. I believe you need 50 "Meaningful" posts before you can PM.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Got your last email. I would have to go through my thread to find the photos of the oil pan from underneath and have been pretty swamped today. I believe you need 50 "Meaningful" posts before you can PM.
    Thank you sir, I appreciate your help and wouldn't fault you in the least if you don't have the time. I'm grateful for what you've shared thus far.

S.F.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Would there be any benefit to retaining the DME? I have it removed now but I wonder if it serves any purpose for other car functions like running the cluster.

thanks!
    S.F.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    Would there be any benefit to retaining the DME? I have it removed now but I wonder if it serves any purpose for other car functions like running the cluster.

thanks!
    S.F.
    I personally don't know any swaps into the e39 that have retained the DME. It really serves no purpose other than to run the BMW engine.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    It doesn't run the cluster. I removed mine.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Ok so no need for the DME, thanks for the clarification! Fully committed now, pulled the BMW drivetrain last night. I need to pull the sway bar and pressure wash the bay. Also, I am working with a major player in the LSx engine world on another oil pan option. If the mock-up works out, I will be posting pics to let everyone know that there is another option for I-6 E39 LS engine swaps. Probably should start an actual build thread....

S.F.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”

And it begins....

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StolenFox; 05-15-2016 at 09:09 PM.

My Cars
    Canada
    love these builds. great start. can't wait to see more.

My Cars
    84 Mustang
    Following as I'm about to start one myself ! What's best mount options ? All of them I see are very expensive. Does Jesusfreak still make them?

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomazda View Post
    Following as I'm about to start one myself ! What's best mount options ? All of them I see are very expensive. Does Jesusfreak still make them?
    Yes and they are well worth the money. Perfectly engineered and fabricated.

S.F.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Agreed, they are wonderfully made mounts.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    So what happened to this build? I was really looking forward to this one....

Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast