Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Not Returning to Center

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe

Steering Not Returning to Center

Hi all. I have a 98 M3 Coupe.

I've owned the car for just over a year now and honestly can't remember if it was like this when I first bought it but it's definitely getting worse. Anyway, the steering is extremely light. I can turn the wheel with my pinky effortless. I don't believe this is normal but this is my first E36 M3 and only one I've driven.

The main problem I have though is that when I turn left, it'll self center till it gets to about 9o clock. After that it stops and just keeps turning. The right side is better but it still doesn't fully center. It maybe stops at 1o clock. I've replaced front struts and strut mounts last July. I just did inner and outer tie rods 500 miles ago with a full body alignment. I had a small power steering leak and fixed that too but I'm pretty sure it isn't that because it's obviously working since the steering is crazy light. I sprayed that bushing with Tri Flow Lubricant that is coming from the firewall like crazy and that also hasn't corrected the issue. The steering wheel itself doesn't squeak either. Looking for any ideas. Next step I was thinking of taking is doing new LCA on both sides.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    One thing that could cause that is if someone messed with the steering rack preload adjustment bolt to hide or try to counteract some slop or wear in the rack and pinion gears. If you set it too tight, the steering won't self center anymore. But that doesn't seem to me to coincide with extremely light steering.

Another thing that could maybe cause it is worn upper strut mount bearings?

In my experience, the E36 M3 steering shouldn't be described as pinky light under nearly any circumstance. Certainly my experience with my car and a few others I've driven is that the steering is quite a bit heavier than my Ford F150 or my wife's Acura RDX, for example.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Wouldn't the strut mount bearings be included in new strut mounts? I didn't install that part myself.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Light steering is caused from DIY high pressure line replacement without swapping over the inline restrictor.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    I am experiencing "no returning" of the steering wheel, but I am pretty sure it is due to misalignment after control arms/lollipops have been replaced to a different configuration (non M arms with offset bushes).

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Speidz View Post
    Wouldn't the strut mount bearings be included in new strut mounts? I didn't install that part myself.
    Yes, of course, they are one in the same. Sorry, I didn't see that you had replaced them.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    Yes, of course, they are one in the same. Sorry, I didn't see that you had replaced them.
    Not a problem! I thought I'd ask to be safe! Thanks for the idea though.

On that High Pressure Line, which one am I looking for if I were to change that out? I haven't done that so I'm not sure if someone did it before me and didn't do it properly.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

You can see the restrictor in the hose where the oetiker clamp is. I should have called this the "cooling" line.

Mfg Part #

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Any other parts I should pick up while fixing that cooling line?

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Any other parts I should pick up while fixing that cooling line?
    Probably, but the only known issue right now is that you're missing that restrictor. I would start with that and see what's what after.

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5
    Also worth noting, I had a similar issue for "returning to center" when the pivot bearings went dry on my steering shaft, but my steering was never light. Doesn't hurt to lube up the joints with some spray lube while you're in there.
    E36///M3/4/5 | BB6 Prelude | VA WRX Limited | CM7 Accord EX-L

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Light steering is caused from DIY high pressure line replacement without swapping over the inline restrictor.

You can see the restrictor in the hose where the oetiker clamp is. I should have called this the "cooling" line.

Mfg Part #
    That's what came to my mind while reading this too. Isn't that the low pressure return line that's restricted though?

OP - I got my replacement line cheap from FCP Euro price matching ECS. The part has a lifetime warranty from FCP.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Yes, which is why I corrected myself and said the cooling line.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'll look into that still this weekend hopefully but I guess I'd say the steering feels super light because there is zero resistance to the left till about 8o Clock.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Yes, which is why I corrected myself and said the cooling line.
    Sorry, I just meant to be clarifying that the cooling line is also the low pressure line in this system, as opposed to engine and transmission oil coolers that are in the pressure side of the loop. I didn't think it was clear from the two posts that it wasn't a high pressure cooling line. Just trying to avoid confusion.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    So any ideas on why the steering doesn't center?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    So any ideas on why the steering doesn't center?
    Have you fixed the lack of restrictor?

Since power steering works on very small pressure differentials through the valving I wouldn't be surprised if having the additional flow through the rack has increased the amount of steering assistance. This may make the normal frictional forces in the steering linkage enough to hold it off center. The drag is being amplified as a steering input, keeping the wheel from returning.

Edit - Also how is your alignment? Lots of toe out will also cause your steering to not return.
    Last edited by boarder2k7; 05-09-2016 at 02:25 PM.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Haven't checked the restrictor. Busy weekend. I just had the alignment done with I believe 0.10 toe in in front.

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    Not returning to center could be any number or combination of things. I know some things have been changed, but it would be wise to put it on a rack and go through every bushing and joint to check for stiffness or wear. Have someone turn the wheel and watch what is going on. Caster, which is non adjustable on the M3, is usually the measure that helps steering to return to center. Bad ball joints, tire pressure, steering rack, tie rods, upper strut bearing, etc can all cause issues. Most alignment shops will do the best they can with what you bring them. They wont diagnose for you.

You may find it is easier to tear down the entire front suspension and replace anything that isn't perfect. That is what I did, and I couldn't believe the difference it made. It isn't real hard or expensive, but it does take some know how and a few special tools, like a press and ball joint remover.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    The restrictor will not cause this problem. My 97 didn't come with one, steering worked fine w/o it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by emccallum View Post
    Not returning to center could be any number or combination of things. I know some things have been changed, but it would be wise to put it on a rack and go through every bushing and joint to check for stiffness or wear. Have someone turn the wheel and watch what is going on. Caster, which is non adjustable on the M3, is usually the measure that helps steering to return to center. Bad ball joints, tire pressure, steering rack, tie rods, upper strut bearing, etc can all cause issues. Most alignment shops will do the best they can with what you bring them. They wont diagnose for you.

You may find it is easier to tear down the entire front suspension and replace anything that isn't perfect. That is what I did, and I couldn't believe the difference it made. It isn't real hard or expensive, but it does take some know how and a few special tools, like a press and ball joint remover.
    That's what I was thinking. I mean, I've already done new struts/strut mounts, inner and outer tie rods, and the sway bar linkage. Only thing really left to hit would be my control arms I believe right? Don't the new control arms come with the bushings already mounted or am I seeing things wrong?

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    New control arms have two ball joints (one short, one long) and a bushing. If you buy new arms they will probably come with the ball joints and not the bushing. I would be willing to guess that your ball joint is stiff and not allowing the strut to rotate easily. But that is just a guess.

I ordered replacement ball joints and pressed them out/in myself. Way cheaper, but it is hard to do without a good press (20+ tons). I guess you could order the ball joints and take them to a shop to press in for you. Do a search for the proper part numbers to order as I think BMW doesnt list a replacement for the m3, but they are the same as another model, IIRC.

Get one of these, they work great:

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-391...+joint+remover

Hope that helps. Sorry I dont have all the details and part numbers, it has been a while.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    I don't think control arms are your issue. I had an E36 a few years ago that had the ball joints so far gone when I got it they had an eighth inch of slop in them, and one of the rear CABs had no rubber left and the arm would clank in the ring when turning.

Steering centering still worked fine.

After a bad alignment though (too much toe out) centering was off. I'd get a tape measure out and do a quick toe check. I know you got it aligned, but I've had alignment shops do crappy work having handed me a sheet saying it was in spec. (Just ate the inside edge off a set of new front tires after a full alignment )

That said, a suspension refresh won't hurt the car at all. I'm glad I did mine, it feels much better to drive now. I got ball joints and bushings and pressed them in myself. Not terribly hard, but you'll need a press, my 20 ton did it but it wasn't easy, not sure a 10 ton would. There's a thread around for which ball joints fit, I think it was E30 M3.

If you don't want to DIY you can get new arms from some retailers with bushings and lollipops already on them for an added fee. I'm not sure this is a great plan because of the proper install method of getting it dropped on the ground and bouncing it to seat them within 30 minutes, but I don't know how important that is. I haven't tried the pre-installed ones.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    Tyres? Balance?

Swap front wheels, does it make a difference?
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Sorry all. Life got super busy, I got engaged so that means I have even less money than before now! Anyway, problem isn't fixed. The restrictor is in the hose. So is the next best guess the control arm bushings? I really don't want to throw money at stuff that isn't going to help. I have also lubed the hell out of the bushing near the firewall that everyone talks about. Didn't help either. I used the Tri-Flow Lubricant for that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast