Thread: Meyle Guibo - No Arrows?

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3

Meyle Guibo - No Arrows?

Slowly attempting to replace my guibo. Terrible start, already broke an exhaust bolt (headers to mid pipe).

Anyways my new guibo doesn't have any arrows indicating direction. It appears completely symmetrical except one side has Meyle printed on, part number, manufacturing stamp, and >NR<.

Anyone run into this? What should I do?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    I run it. I have the side printed with Meyle facing the tranny. Not sure if "correct" but it is working just fine for me.

Edit: mine has six "arrows" (they look more like wedges) showing which way the bolts should face
    Last edited by XnWarden; 04-29-2016 at 02:29 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Hmmm. The one on there has the words facing the shaft. No legible arrows because it's pretty well destroyed.

I'll have to take a closer look but I didn't see anything on the sides

My Cars
    93 325i
    From my understanding the bolts should face the flanges as shown in the pic. Also mark the driveshaft where it connects to the transmission so u can match it up the way it was when reinstalling the driveshaft has small weights welded to it and is balanced and you will get a vibration if not put together the same. I did mine a few weeks ago and did everything exact but still ended up with a vibration between 50-60 mph, hoping it is my driveshat center support bearing. Now have to basically do whole job again.

pic20.jpg
    Last edited by sealersd2; 04-29-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    Past Cars

98 323is
    01 330CI
    95 325i Vert
    94 325i
    88 325 Super Eta

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Strange. The way it's installed now all the bolts are facing the same way. All nuts are on the trans side. So not only should there be arrows showing which way the guibo sits, but also the way the bolts should go through it?

I'm planning on doing the CSB at the same time.

My Cars
    93 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanniepoo View Post
    Strange. The way it's installed now all the bolts are facing the same way. All nuts are on the trans side. So not only should there be arrows showing which way the guibo sits, but also the way the bolts should go through it?

I'm planning on doing the CSB at the same time.

Mine was the same way, I agree, strange. Everyone says that pic is the way to do it though. Regarding the arrows if you don't have them you can still make sure the bolts face toward each flange? That's my take on it anyway. Mine had arrows so I did it as in the pic. It was a febi brand. Also let me know how it goes with your CSB there is a preload that has to be done for that to not vibrate as well. I'm in the process now of figuring that one out and how to separate the driveshaft mine seemed to be stuck and I was not able to do my CSB. Now I have a slight vibration between 50 - 60.
    Past Cars

98 323is
    01 330CI
    95 325i Vert
    94 325i
    88 325 Super Eta

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    Done this on multiple BMWs and its usually pretty straightforward. To answer your question, your guibo does not have an "orientation" in terms of rotation. It does matter which holes are where in relation to the flanges of the driveshaft and the transmission. You will notice that three of the holes in the guibo are recessed, make sure those recesses align with the corresponding protrusions on the transmission, it will be mirrored on the other side since the rotation direction doesn't matter but make sure that they correspond. The arrows and the direction they point are the way to confirm this. The guibo needs to be mounted so that the arrows are pointing to a flange arm. So the tip of the arrow needs to be against a flange, whether it is the drive-shaft or transmission side is arbitrary. The bolts should all be in the same direction with the nuts on the transmission side. This will make more sense when you are looking at it and putting everything back together.

"Sealersd2' makes a valid point as well. It doesn't hurt to make marks where the drive-shaft and transmission meet. I don't know if you are removing the drive shaft completely or doing it on the car but again make marks where everything bolts up. You'll notice that the CSB holes are slotted and you should be able to see the marks from where it was fastened on the old one. If you were reusing the CSB you want to bolt it back up as close to these marks as possible. Since you're going with a new one just catch a couple threads on the CSB to support the drive-shaft then fully tighten up the Guibo. After you tighten the Guibo come back to the CSB and walk each side up incrementally before you tighten it down. Sounds a little over the top but you want to make sure everything is as close to the way it came off. It will help make sure that you have no vibrations and tightening the CSB after the Guibo will help prevent any undue stress, preload, or twisting on the CSB. Hope this helps.

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    I recently saw a post in the e34 section about using like a 1x4 piece of wood and bolting it to the end of the driveshaft towards the trans and the using that to hold the driveshaft while you wrench on the collar nut. I have used to pipe wrenches as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    If you're having trouble with the splined joint in the driveshaft, I had to beat the s%#t out if mine to get it apart.... Like really beat on it hard with a sledge. In hindsight I need a torch.

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    I think you're also supposed to slide the CSB all the way towards the front of the car using its slotted mounting holes.

My Cars
    93 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoky540i View Post
    If you're having trouble with the splined joint in the driveshaft, I had to beat the s%#t out if mine to get it apart.... Like really beat on it hard with a sledge. In hindsight I need a torch.

Ok yes that's what I was having trouble with but did not want to beat on it and break something else. The collar nut spun off easy but then couldn't get anything else to move.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maharaj1 View Post
    The bolts should all be in the same direction with the nuts on the transmission side. .
    This is contrary to everything I've read. But I'm NOT saying you're wrong. I'm just confused but I do have the arrows pointing toward the flanges, but the nuts are not on the transmission side the bolts are following the arrows pointing in the same direction. So nuts are on both sides. Maybe this is part of my problem IDK. The pic I posted earlier was from the peican parts diy on the guibo replacement. Thank you for your help
    Last edited by sealersd2; 04-29-2016 at 07:20 PM.
    Past Cars

98 323is
    01 330CI
    95 325i Vert
    94 325i
    88 325 Super Eta

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    Yeah it worried me too but I beat it anyway

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by sealersd2 View Post
    Ok yes that's what I was having trouble with but did not want to beat on it and break something else. The collar nut spun off easy but then couldn't get anything else to move.

- - - Updated - - -

This is contrary to everything I've read. But I'm NOT saying you're wrong. I'm just confused but I do have the arrows pointing toward the flanges, but the nuts are not on the transmission side the bolts are following the arrows pointing in the same direction. So nuts are on both sides. Maybe this is part of my problem IDK. The pic I posted earlier was from the peican parts diy on the guibo replacement. Thank you for your help
    To be honest I have seen it both ways. There are several BMW TIS documents which refer to images depicting the bolts all pointing in the same direction. Despite that I've still seen vehicles with the original flex disc come with the bolts going in opposite directions. In the grand scheme of things it probably does not make a difference but I honestly can't say. The more important factor is making sure you have the right holes lined up with the corresponding flange arms which you have done.

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by sealersd2 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Mine matched Pelicans photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ‘90 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by maharaj1 View Post
    your guibo does not have an "orientation" in terms of rotation.
    I’d disagree. The holes in the giubo are paired with thicker rubber and should be driven in the direction which compresses that thicker section under load. You can see this is designed to be the case with any part marked with the arrows for nut placement as it aligns the disc with the flanges such that this criteria is satisfied, even when flipped.

For each thick section looking at the front of the giubo (from the transmission side) the trans flange should mount to the counter clockwise most hole of the pair, and the driveshaft flange to the clockwise most hole.

Aside from this, you can get the bolts oriented correctly if you drop the driveshaft down enough to mount the giubo to it first, then marry it to the trans output.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    All the bolts come from the back driveshaft side and nut in on the trans side of the flange.

Whatever way you orientated the guibo it's always one hole next to the other, so that's sorta an obvious. Makes 0 difference what way it's orientated because as long as you put it on its still on the exact same way in whole across the flanges. It's not a balanced or directional part. Literally boss slots strung together a million times and encased in rubber. A rather crude bushing really.