Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW E38 LCM IV Programming problem

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL

BMW E38 LCM IV Programming problem

Hello Everyone!

Newbie here from UK and Looking for some help if possible.

I am not sure if I have posted in the right place but I would be grateful if someone can help me with this (and sorry for the long message below).

I have an E38 750i and I have upgraded to a LCM IV from an E53 X5. I have read online that it is possible to change the VIN and Odometer and then code the module to the Car.

I have managed to change the Vin and mileage so it is in sync with IKE. The red Dot is gone.

My turn signals, high beam and wipers do not work although my low beams and brake are working. I think this is because the module is not coded to the car of course.

I have used BMW PAsoft, SSS, NCS Expert to try and code the module to my car but I keep getting error message : [B][B]Error Coapi 2040: Error at changing ZCS: Wrong ECU identification (General)....picture attached

Can anyone help me at all please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '91 e31 M70
    Subscribed as I have this on my to do list to upgrade to auto headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '07 e65|N62 - Alpina B7 - Black Sapphire|Black|Loaded|GONE
    '02 e46|M54 - Orient Blue|Beige|'Vert|GONE
    '00 e39|M52 - Anthrazit Metallic|Grey|GONE
    '01 e38|M73 - Anthrazit Metallic|Schwarz|Shadow-Line|GONE
    '91 e31|M70 - Schwarz|Schwarz|M70|FOR SALE

'13 328i Auto - Black Sapphire|Coral Red|Sport Line|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|GONE
    '07 335i Auto - Montego Blue|Grey|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|GONE
    '97 528i Auto - GONE

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    Hey Adwebinc........it is a great upgrade once you get it working.....still trying to figure out why i have this error message

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    You might have to do the coding manually.

Treat it as normal, you might find it it has read coding OK, and the ame with writing, just it recognises that the LCM IV would never have been on that car.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    Hello Enda320.....Thanks for your input. May I ask what you meant "by doing it manually"? Did you mean by copy and save the previous LCM 2 coding data and transfer it to the upgraded LCM IV via NCS Expert?

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    I tried to do the exact same thing yesterday and got the same error.
    The only thing I can figure is address for the module. On the NCS screen where you change,execute,or read just below the "job" the line says something like "lcm.c18, lcm.ipo,lcm3,prg" of course this doesn't match a lcm4.
    I tried changing the adress to lcm4 and went through all the C versions but still nothing.
    The vin and mileage is changed and INPA has no trouble reading the 4. It must be something simple but I'm stumped.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    I tried to do the exact same thing yesterday and got the same error.
    The only thing I can figure is address for the module. On the NCS screen where you change,execute,or read just below the "job" the line says something like "lcm.c18, lcm.ipo,lcm3,prg" of course this doesn't match a lcm4.
    I tried changing the adress to lcm4 and went through all the C versions but still nothing.
    The vin and mileage is changed and INPA has no trouble reading the 4. It must be something simple but I'm stumped.
    Interestingly enough, I tried that as well myself and it wouldn't accept it too.......I feel it is it could be something simple we might have missed out...I am still playing around with it

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    I coded a LCMIV to my e38 for retrofitting auto headlights. An important factor; the coding index of the LCMIV must be one suitable to the e38. Search this forum for instructions.
    Last edited by chris33; 05-03-2016 at 10:33 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by chris33 View Post
    I coded a LCMIV to my e38 for retrofitting auto headlights. An important factor; the coding index of the LCMIV must be one suitable to the e38. Search this forum for instructions.
    Thanks for the input. When you say the coding index must be one suitable for the E38, is there something specific we have to look for? Still new in this for sure. Thanks again.

My Cars
    '91 e31 M70
    Yeah I'm still watching this one as I haven't tackled this project yet. I have to say that I'm a bit intimidated on the coding side of this project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    '07 e65|N62 - Alpina B7 - Black Sapphire|Black|Loaded|GONE
    '02 e46|M54 - Orient Blue|Beige|'Vert|GONE
    '00 e39|M52 - Anthrazit Metallic|Grey|GONE
    '01 e38|M73 - Anthrazit Metallic|Schwarz|Shadow-Line|GONE
    '91 e31|M70 - Schwarz|Schwarz|M70|FOR SALE

'13 328i Auto - Black Sapphire|Coral Red|Sport Line|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|GONE
    '07 335i Auto - Montego Blue|Grey|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|GONE
    '97 528i Auto - GONE

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    The coding is not actually that hard as long as you are careful and you do not click on something you are not sure...it is pretty easy...NCS Expert is a pretty good tool and when you use the Dummy one, it translate everything in english which makes it easier when choosing the options.

Concerning the LCMIV, I have been swamped with work and haven't looked into it again but soon I am going to check on the earlier suggestion about having the correct coding index...if my memory serves right, my coding index is 21 for the purchased LCM IV. Hopefully I might find a solution to this for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by adwebinc View Post
    Yeah I'm still watching this one as I haven't tackled this project yet. I have to say that I'm a bit intimidated on the coding side of this project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    UPDATE: I am still looking for anybody who might have experienced the same thing when coding their LCM IV from E53.

I have tried to update the SPDaten files hoping it would work but I keep getting the above error when using both SSS V32 and NCS Expert.

Is there anybody who might have an idea what to do to get this light module working properly?

I appreciate your help

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    ***ISSUE RESOLVED*** For those who might experience the same problem, here is what I did to resolve the above error code I kept getting when trying to code the used LCM IV I bought:

Basically the first LCM IV I had from an E53 was the cause. It was not compatible with the E38 despite the fact that I was able to change the Vin and mileage and able to read the module. The problem was simply, it would get coded to the car.

After some time checking forums on internet and playing with different options to no avail, I decided to check REALOEM.COM to see if the used LCM IV I had was the right one for my car and most importantly was compatible. I just had a hunch that it was not a match.

I, therefore, decided to purchase another LCM from Ebay and this time I made sure it had similar or matching part number and thats when I got an LCM 4B off an E39. This module is almost same (if not the same) as the LCM 4. The correct part number for me was 6961141....

I got it installed using PA soft for the Vin and mileage change then I used SSS program to code it to the car then used NCS expert to change some options and everything is working perfectly including the turn signals and high beam.

My intake after looking into this is that not all the LCM IV out there are compatible with our E38 (with mine at least) and it's just a case of making sure one buys the right one and cross reference it with the original part on your car using REALOEM.COM and VIN of your car.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.
    Last edited by Al750i; 06-13-2016 at 07:25 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport (SWB)
    Hi AI, thanks for posting this. I bought a LCM IV, too and was able to code VIN and mileage and while most lights work, the inner tail lights are very dim (+ I'm getting a "left tail light" error).

I suspect this is due to additional coding that might be needed. You mentioned SSS Progman & NCS Expert. According to this thread getting these tools to work seems like a super involved process, is there an easier way? - Also, any guidance on how to use these tools to get the LCM fully coded would be great.

Thanks!

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...th-Carsoft-int

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by getdealtwith View Post
    Hi AI, thanks for posting this. I bought a LCM IV, too and was able to code VIN and mileage and while most lights work, the inner tail lights are very dim (+ I'm getting a "left tail light" error).

I suspect this is due to additional coding that might be needed. You mentioned SSS Progman & NCS Expert. According to this thread getting these tools to work seems like a super involved process, is there an easier way? - Also, any guidance on how to use these tools to get the LCM fully coded would be great.

Thanks!

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...th-Carsoft-int
    Apologies for the late reply. I believe because it is not coded to your car, that's why probably you are getting those malfunctions for certain.

I just had a look at the link you enclosed in your post and I can see why you felt it is an involved process when installing/using SSS program. It is actually rather simple once it is installed and INPA is working too.

Do you actually have SSS and INPA installed already on your computer? Or you are looking to install them? I can send you the instructions I got when I bought mine and they were pretty much straight forward when I installed mine.

Let me know. Kind Regards.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport (SWB)
    Hi, thanks for getting back to me on this. I had already set up a virtual machine and was in the process of trying to set up the software following the instructions but got stuck at one point - perhaps because the versions referenced in the link were older.

Then I found information on Rheingold - which is apparently what BMW is currently using, a suite replacing these 50,000 other tools - but only saw it for sale at a high price. I then decided to bite the bullet and have the dealer code it but they just called me saying they couldn't get it to work, but of course are still charging full boat...

Because the basic functions were working I assumed it was compatible but I'm going to double-check after work if the part number was one for an X5. Maybe that's the issue. If it isn't - I'm willing to ship this thing along with my old LCM3 and all necessary details to someone and pay to get help with getting it coded. The time I personally would need to get all the necessary software to run is simply not worth it.
    Last edited by getdealtwith; 06-29-2016 at 03:28 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    Hey..I am sorry...I can feel the frustration for sure...it can be a difficult process at time and god knows how many weeks I spent trying to figure out why it wouldn't let me code it...I suspect the LCM IV is from X5 and some of them, it seems, cant be coded in normal way.

I understand there is a process where you can flush the module and install whatever was on your LCM3 but i am not sure how one can go about this.

Do let us know how you get on for sure if you find someone to code it for sure. Good luck!

Hi, thanks for getting back to me on this. I had already set up a virtual machine and was in the process of trying to set up the software following the instructions but got stuck at one point - perhaps because the versions referenced in the link were older.

Then I found information on Rheingold - which is apparently what BMW is currently using, a suite replacing these 50,000 other tools - but only saw it for sale at a high price. I then decided to bite the bullet and have the dealer code it but they just called me saying they couldn't get it to work, but of course are still charging full boat...

Because the basic functions were working I assumed it was compatible but I'm going to double-check after work if the part number was one for an X5. Maybe that's the issue. If it isn't - I'm willing to ship this thing along with my old LCM3 and all necessary details to someone and pay to get help with getting it coded. The time I personally would need to get all the necessary software to run is simply not worth it.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport (SWB)
    So I got another unit with the part number you posted above. Coded the VIN and mileage but the high beams, turn signals and fogs aren't working. I don't know of anyone in SoCal who has SSS running and could help code it to the car so as much as I hate going to the dealership, I'm going to check in with the service person at the dealership who already said he wouldn't charge full boat again this time.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it

Try getting hold of Blackknight530i in the E39 forum. He's very knowledgeble in that area.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E38 750i
    Sorry to wake up the old thread but:

I have a LCM4b

Partnumber: 6 938 287
    HW: 07
    SW: 65

I'm failing to change the VIN inside BMW Scanner. When I try to change the VIN it says -> Set back to factory settings then write VIN
    When I try to set it back to factory settgins with BMW Scanner, the process fails after a few seconds.

I have changed several VINs on LCM2/LCM3 and never had problems with that. What might be the issue here ?

I know that probably the part number 6961141 would be a better choice here, but at the moment this is not a NCS coding issue.
    BMW Scanner should be able to change the VIN on LCM4b. Also BMW Scanner doesn't see the part number and HW version of the LCM4b, but sees the SW (65) and the wrong VIN.
    Still I did choose the right algorithm for coding from the list where I found my exact part number / hw / sw.

So I'm really confused why I'm not able to change the VIN on this LCM4b.

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    Correct coding index is key. The updated LCM must have a coding index that is compatible to the e38. I use NCS Dummy to determine which index's were. You can also check compatible LCM part numbers in RealOEM Part Cross-reference. In the picture below, you will see all of the LCM coding indexes that are compatible with the e38 chassis.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 2.46.10 PM.png

My Cars
    1996 BMW E38 750i
    No, you are wrong. The question had nothing to do with NCS Expert but with BMW Scanner in terms of changing the VIN to be able to code afterwards with NCS.

I solved the problem by myself. The first time I tried to change the VIN with BMW Scanner, I didn't pay attention to the algorithm used by BMW Scanner.
    BMW Scanner automatically selcted the wrong algorithm and I had to change it to the right one. Then changing the VIN was no problem.

Coding with NCS was also no problem. Everything works fine now.

BMW E38 740iL Individual from February 1998
    LCM4b Partnumber: 6 938 287 / HW: 07 / SW: 65 / CodingIndex: C21

Working like a charm : )

My Cars
    2005 330cd ; 2002 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Al750i View Post
    ***ISSUE RESOLVED*** For those who might experience the same problem, here is what I did to resolve the above error code I kept getting when trying to code the used LCM IV I bought:

Basically the first LCM IV I had from an E53 was the cause. It was not compatible with the E38 despite the fact that I was able to change the Vin and mileage and able to read the module. The problem was simply, it would get coded to the car.
    (...)
    I, therefore, decided to purchase another LCM from Ebay and this time I made sure it had similar or matching part number and thats when I got an LCM 4B off an E39. This module is almost same (if not the same) as the LCM 4. The correct part number for me was 6961141....

(...)

My intake after looking into this is that not all the LCM IV out there are compatible with our E38 (with mine at least) and it's just a case of making sure one buys the right one and cross reference it with the original part on your car using REALOEM.COM and VIN of your car.
    Ressurecting a thread...

I just went through this issue and this post was very useful.

The LCM on my e38 started to die slowly. Firat I lost the illumination on the hazard switch, then on my main beam switch. Then the steerung wheel ilumination just became on, with key in ignition.
    For last, I started to get communication errors with the unit, due to a i-bus lcm pin that broke.

Started with the LCM3B (I'll check the p/n later) out from a 2002 e39. Vin and mikeage would change nicely, but progman coukd not write to the lcm nor update the zcs.

After much reading and stomping on this thread I went for the 6961141 and it all turned out perfect.

So, thanks to everyone, and I leave here another success story with a 6961141 LCM 4b (ci24) unit.

So used PA soft for vin, set mileage to 0, used progman for zcs and initial lcm config, the ncs to customize.
    Last edited by Junglas; 02-01-2018 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by chris33 View Post
    Correct coding index is key. The updated LCM must have a coding index that is compatible to the e38. I use NCS Dummy to determine which index's were. You can also check compatible LCM part numbers in RealOEM Part Cross-reference. In the picture below, you will see all of the LCM coding indexes that are compatible with the e38 chassis.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 2.46.10 PM.png
    How can you determine the coding index on the part without connecting and hooking up to NCS? I am looking at an LCM4 with HW04 SW5.1

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    I wonder if it would be much of an issue to just add LCM C19 and C20 support. Anyone with this issue want to be a guinea pig?

Use NCS Dummy to disassemble the E38SGET.000, open up the E38SGET.000.Text file, and add the following two lines below the LCM.C18 entry

Code:
    SGAUSWAHL_VMSGBD : "LCM" "C19" "A_LCM" "C_LCM3" "LCM" "004" (S015B,S013C)+!S012C+!S018A {} // (LCM_CI_19,PU01)+!LCM_IV+!LCM_CI_20
    SGAUSWAHL_SGBD : "LCM" "C20" "A_LCM" "LCM_IV" "LCM" (S012C,S018A)+!S018B {} // (LCM_IV,LCM_CI_20)+!LCM_CI_21
    Use NCS Dummy to reassemble that file. Copy LCM.C19 and LCM.C20 from your E39 or E53 folders to the E38 folder, and see if it works.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-04-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast