BAVToys

Thread: Converting E39 OEM Xenon to Halogen Headlights

My Cars
    2003 BMW E39 530i

Exclamation Converting E39 OEM Xenon to Halogen Headlights

Hello!

I have 2003 BMW 530i E39, which has OEM Xenon headlights, both headlights had broken adjusters, I tried to replace adjusters myself, but got the headlights in such a condition, can't be adjusted anymore... They have sun damage, and fog also...

It is a common problem for E39 xenon headlights, but I got it worse. To buy a used headlights, it's extremely expensive (around 250-300$ each).

I think it would be great, if I could purchase Halogen OEM head lights which look the same, and convert the connection to work on Halogen instead of Xenon, I hope it's not too confusing lol

Anyone ever saw or heard about this kind of converter? Any better ideas?

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Why would you want to downgrade to halogen? Also, for decent lighting, be prepared to spend some money. There is a reason why good lighting costs money.

I would either:

1) Repair your current lights- sand & polish the lens, replace the adjusters. Keep the Xenon. With this, you run the risk of still having crappy lighting if the inside of the projector has started to deteriorate.

or

2) Buy a set of DJ Autos or Hella lights than can be baked open, and replace the projectors with Hella Evo-X or FX-R projectors. Will cost more money than option 1 but this set up will put out light far better than the OEM Xenon. This is the route I went. Very happy with my choice

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    $2-300 for good used assemblies is CHEAP.

Extremely expensive

Everything will plug in with your downgrade if you so desire. You're get a fault code in the LKM for the auto leveling servo being disconnected but the lamps will work.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2004 325xi 5speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    $2-300 for good used assemblies is CHEAP.

Extremely expensive

Everything will plug in with your downgrade if you so desire. You're get a fault code in the LKM for the auto leveling servo being disconnected but the lamps will work.

Yeah I would say get the set of used lights that price is pretty good haha, I wouldn't do the halogen. Then you would have yellow lights and a code...lose lose if you ask me.

My Cars
    E36M3/4 E39T&E61 E39M5
    I want to do this. Is it possible? My 2003 headlights can't have lenses swapped and adjusters are a project I don't want to fuck with. I don't want used headlights either. I want to convert to halogen. Much cheaper from hella than the xenon version. My question is how could I make it work with the wiring? Any input would really be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by rickadootrd View Post
    I want to do this. Is it possible? My 2003 headlights can't have lenses swapped and adjusters are a project I don't want to fuck with. I don't want used headlights either. I want to convert to halogen. Much cheaper from hella than the xenon version. My question is how could I make it work with the wiring? Any input would really be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Did you do the "downgrade"? I'm close to pulling the trigger on new Hella halogens to replace my e39's Xenon.