Thread: Head First, project

My Cars
    2000 MRoady & '69 2800

Head First, project

This is my first post but definitely not my last, I have recently picked up a 1969 2800 for a project. My plan is not to 100% restore it but to just do small things here and there and for the most part keep a lot of it original. I bought it from a guy in North Hollywood for what I believe to be a good price (but who knows) and figured would be the perfect candidate. The interior is all there for the most part, the kick panel is gone and a lot of the wiring of the lights and turn signals has been butchered so that's going to be a pain, but nonetheless is turns over and starts. Now, before I get into more details I want to say I am more performance than looks and the beat up exterior certainly did not steer me away. I rather have a crap exterior and beautiful engine thus why i have natural weight reduction in the spare tire section (I believe that is pretty much the only rust though). UP next, for the main issue which was advertised but i had hoped it was as simple as the guy not checking the ATF level, but turns out i was wrong. The car has an automatic transmission which i read somewhere was an option back in 69, so i figure there aren't a whole lot in comparison to manuals, but it does not go into any drive gear. When i shift the trans into drive, 1, or 2 and hit the gas the revs just climb without the car moving. Now the only gear that works is Reverse, however at times when i shift it into reverse it jolts very harsh and aggressively as if it is breaking. I have searched all over the internet for this specific tranny (i believe it is the zf3hp20) and cannot seem to find any help topics on it. I then decided to just swap it for the factory 4spd (not quite sure which it is), or maybe a getrag 262 but i am unsure of what transmissions can just bolt right up with no issue, if any can. Can anyone help me out, please.

My Cars
    72 Bavaria
    The best help available for E3 owners is at http://www.e9coupe.com/. They have a fairly active section for E3's, and a lot of knowledge and spare parts.