Thread: Tuning Help NA e36 M3

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic

Tuning Help NA e36 M3

Looking to tune an e36 M3 on an M50 manifold and cat-less exhaust. Running 93 and this is a weekend car, so fuel economy isn't a huge concern, although it looks like I should be able to keep fuel economy and get some additional power.

I'm a tuning noob, so I'm not exactly sure what I should be adjusting. From what I understand you add a bit of gas and adjust tuning back to avoid knock. It looks like my MAF is maxing out at around 6400 RPM and my desired redline is 7000, so I need to make guesses at the top end and add a little bit more fuel.

I adjusted the timing back across the board on my last version and that's where I've had some of my worst logs yet. Not exactly sure why moving the timing back more made it knock and tune it back further.

Do you have any suggestions on other parameters I should be adjusting? Ideally if anyone of you have a .bin file you'd like to share, I'd love to see a few things you've changed.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You really need to be testing and tuning at over 85 degrees Coolant temps, first. A ton of maps depend on this. Run a stock thermostat, with lowered radiator temp switch.

Pulling back ignition advance will not be doing your power gains any favors. I'm running up to 27 degrees ignition advance (progressively up to high rpm) with minimal knock adaptations on S52.
    Your fueling needs to be looked at with a wideband. Too much and too little fuel can cause knock as well. I believe you have too much fuel.

- - - Updated - - -

You also need to look through your logging and see the load values you are going through.... you have not even edited for loads in the 500mg/str.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-25-2016 at 05:40 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    You really need to be testing and tuning at over 85 degrees Coolant temps, first. A ton of maps depend on this. Run a stock thermostat, with lowered radiator temp switch.

Pulling back ignition advance will not be doing your power gains any favors. I'm running up to 27 degrees ignition advance (progressively up to high rpm) with minimal knock adaptations on S52.
    Your fueling needs to be looked at with a wideband. Too much and too little fuel can cause knock as well. I believe you have too much fuel.

- - - Updated - - -

You also need to look through your logging and see the load values you are going through.... you have not even edited for loads in the 500mg/str.
    The po put a lower temp thermostat in, so getting to 85 isn't happening. Will that be a problem?

I guess I'll need to look into a wideband then. I did want to run rich rather than lean, but it's quite possible I'm too rich.

Any chance you can post what yours looks like?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Yes too low temp is a problem. Not only are you not reaching efficient operating temps (gas mileage, etc), but there are some maps (especially the acceleration and deceleration detection maps, as well as some ignition advance maps, knock detection maps, and VANOS maps) that expect a full operating temp of at least 85°C for the full potential tune data.

I will not be posting mine yet, mainly because I am still working on my S52 tune, and I have refused others as well in the past; it's not you.

I would drop the fueling a bit. Also you didn't say if you modified the WOT fueling as well.
    Ignition advance can run up to 27° if everything else is tuned well. Basically add 1.5 to 2 degrees to the stock ignition advance map.

- - - Updated - - -

To see which maps need to be edited for WOT power, follow each load/rpm point in your logging... and look at each cell in the fuel maps and ignition advance maps corresponding to the logged data. Those cells are the ones needing to be changed (as well as the ones around them).
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Yes too low temp is a problem. Not only are you not reaching efficient operating temps (gas mileage, etc), but there are some maps (especially the acceleration and deceleration detection maps, as well as some ignition advance maps, knock detection maps, and VANOS maps) that expect a full operating temp of at least 85°C for the full potential tune data.

I will not be posting mine yet, mainly because I am still working on my S52 tune, and I have refused others as well in the past; it's not you.

I would drop the fueling a bit. Also you didn't say if you modified the WOT fueling as well.
    Ignition advance can run up to 27° if everything else is tuned well. Basically add 1.5 to 2 degrees to the stock ignition advance map.

- - - Updated - - -

To see which maps need to be edited for WOT power, follow each load/rpm point in your logging... and look at each cell in the fuel maps and ignition advance maps corresponding to the logged data. Those cells are the ones needing to be changed (as well as the ones around them).
    I appreciate the help. I'll drop my fuel a little bit.

I have not modified the wot fueling either. I guess I thought it would be better especially in the high rpm ranges to go straight to the basic map. Should I look at increasing that instead?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    what tuning suite are you using and where can i acquire it? I have a 98 S52 cammed, and i need to add new injectors and tune for my headers and exhaust work..
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    what tuning suite are you using and where can i acquire it? I have a 98 S52 cammed, and i need to add new injectors and tune for my headers and exhaust work..
    He is using romraider. It's a pretty good piece of software, I have been using it on a highly modified 328is that I have.
    It is open source and there is a decently good community behind it. I will it admit it took me some fiddling to get the software, flashing, cables, ect. to all work but once I did, it is quite robust and particularly powerful.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite