Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Butler's E34 M5 Restoration Thread

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Such a great thread. Love the instagram too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Have you double checked that your aux fan is actuating?

-Greg
    Hi Greg,
    Actually I cant say for sure since my AC isn't in working order, which is a side issue of its own. Ugggh!

Quote Originally Posted by KSEADUB View Post
    Such a great thread. Love the instagram too!

Thanks!
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Test aux fan with jump wire. http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_20.htm

But it should not over heat with/without aux fan, problem is somewhere else.

My Cars
    92 M5
    My aux fan was not working when I picked up my car. It turned out to be the resistor. The repair was pretty straight forward. I documented my coolant gauge behaviour on my thread over on the M5 board. I was assured that is it fairly straight forward. I plan on replacing my fan clutch this summer and will go from there. If that does not solve things I may be in a full system overhaul.........

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by Eero View Post
    Test aux fan with jump wire. http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_20.htm

But it should not over heat with/without aux fan, problem is somewhere else.
    Thanks for the tip!
    -Nick

My Cars
    2012 335 xdrive M Sport
    wow...a great story...i read the whole thing...i had my own kind of barn find for my son who is 19...1991 E34 M5 97,000 miles...will be looking for some advice soon on what to put on for exhaust...his Frank Fahey track pipe which will replace the catalytic converter was delivered today...thinking about finishing off rest of system with Billy Boat...

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Hey guys -

been a while since any good updates because the Portland winter has been beating me down with constant rain. As its starting to get nicer outside the updates will start coming more frequently! I have a decent stock pile of parts I've been stashing all winter. This weekends update were a new cabin filter and coolant level sensor.

Untitled by Nick Butler, on Flickr

-Nick

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Nice! I admit the pictures of your Turbined-car helped stoke my desire to buy back my '91.

Your seat bottom leather looks like those in my wagon, basically unsaveable no matter how much TLC you layer on. Do you plan to replace the leather eventually? I'm wondering what to do on mine.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Nice! I admit the pictures of your Turbined-car helped stoke my desire to buy back my '91.

Your seat bottom leather looks like those in my wagon, basically unsaveable no matter how much TLC you layer on. Do you plan to replace the leather eventually? I'm wondering what to do on mine.
    Ugh, yeah for sure dude. My front seats are absolute trash! No doubt thought -- in due time I'll redo it with something much more fitting.
    -Nick

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    It's true you may not be able to eliminate the cracks and other damage to the seats, but I had great results with some persistent use of Leatherique on mine. I of course eventually pulled the trigger on new leather but prior to that the Leatherique process brought the softness back. You'd need a 32oz. bottle of each of Rejuvenator and Pristine Clean. It took a week or so of daily application and sunlight to make it happen. I transferred them each in a spray bottle to make application a little less messy. It's fairly easy to transfer the leather and pads from your passenger seat to the driver seat so you'll have a better seating surface.
    Last edited by Kingpin025; 04-18-2017 at 06:12 AM.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    With new paint those seats will be much better. Not expensive to try before new leather. Check Furniture Clinic stuff and instruction.

https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Repair

COLOURKIT_filename_large_000_140686ed13c7d43cf6be84713f9cfe5e.JPG

My Cars
    92 M5
    Fantastic stuff as always. Same boat here. Bought a bunch of parts this spring to fancy up my car. I too will be looking to rejuvenate my sets. I have some seat twisting issues to repair and also the leather to clean up. I am going to try that route first before spending any serious dollars on new leather. Swapping the pads from passenger to driver sounds even better. I am curious if anyone has done a set by step and which products I should look at with leatherique vs. furniture doctor etc. My first plan is to clean them with some steam and basic cleaners and go from there.

I also have those SLS shocks you sold me to send to Poland...........deciding when to bite the bullet and start buying all my SLS parts. That is not going to be cheap or quick to do.
    Last edited by Smith Jason; 04-22-2017 at 11:21 AM.

My Cars
    E34sx5
    Quote Originally Posted by upsbmw View Post
    wow...a great story...i read the whole thing...i had my own kind of barn find for my son who is 19...1991 E34 M5 97,000 miles...will be looking for some advice soon on what to put on for exhaust...his Frank Fahey track pipe which will replace the catalytic converter was delivered today...thinking about finishing off rest of system with Billy Boat...
    UPSbmw, Id gift your son some earplugs as well. I currently run a FF track pipe and B&B catback exhaust. Granted I also have a FF 3.8 motor, but I the car can be clearly heard from more than a mile away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smith Jason View Post
    Fantastic stuff as always. Same boat here. Bought a bunch of parts this spring to fancy up my car. I too will be looking to rejuvenate my sets. I have some seat twisting issues to repair and also the leather to clean up. I am going to try that route first before spending any serious dollars on new leather. Swapping the pads from passenger to driver sounds even better. I am curious if anyone has done a set by step and which products I should look at with leatherique vs. furniture doctor etc. My first plan is to clean them with some steam and basic cleaners and go from there.

I also have those SLS shocks you sold me to send to Poland...........deciding when to bite the bullet and start buying all my SLS parts. That is not going to be cheap or quick to do.
    I see that you have a 92 also. What are the last 5 of your VIN? 06347 here.
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Hey guys!

I wanted to share the next update - Euro Ellipsoids!

I've wanted a set of smileys since I learned what they were 10 years ago! I'm going to clean them up the best I can and get new bulbs before installing. The adjusters are in decent condition so I'm not planning on replacing any of them at the moment. (that might change)

I can't unscrew the high beam caps. Any suggestions? I've tried to muscle them apart but also trying to be gentle with 25 year old parts

-Nick

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    You might try spraying around the seam where the cap meets the housing with PB Blaster or WD40 brand penetrant, tapping around the edge with a screwdriver handle, letting it sit for a few hours, tap some more, and try again. If you still meet resistance, then introduce heat on the cap only with a hair dryer to get it to expand and try again. If these are Hella brand I believe they are plastic on plastic so it should not be frozen shut by corrosion. Might not be the case with Bosch brand which I believe have metal reflector bases.

My Cars
    92 M5
    [/QUOTE]I see that you have a 92 also. What are the last 5 of your VIN? 06347 here.[/QUOTE]

GD55498 original Japanese delivery/euro car. Had it almost a year. Neat car always some little stuff to fix/clean up but so far nothing too major.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    I found some time from Friday night into Saturday morning to get the smileys installed!

Wiring them was a lot more involved than I was expecting, though I have absolutely zero experience with soldering. I installed lights in an E36 many years ago and remember it being a lot easier! The drivers side of the E34 is a pain in the ass, shit. It took a lot of patience to get everything situated correctly and my soldering iron is a POS. I bought Nokya 2500k highbeam bulbs and new amber 194 city lights bulbs. The city lights weren't really difficult to configure but I kept messing up the wiring and working in a tight space sucks!

I'm really happy with how they turned out but I'll likely be planning HIDs soon. lol

Here are the pics.

Half way there! So excited

Oh my...

-Nick

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Yas! Great work. So stock, these are just halogen projectors? I guess i just always assumed they were HIDs... such a newb!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I love these refreshtoration threads!! Great work cleaning it up. Hard to believe there was a semi clean car under all that grime. I am daily searching for the right E34 M5 to get back into the chassis and hope I find something similar.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    More pics. I'm super happy with the final result.

Last edited by Butler; 05-08-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    -Nick

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Oof

This thing has come such a long way from what was basically a barn find! I'm thinking some 9" rears would really set it off...
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    m5s
    Quote Originally Posted by KSEADUB View Post
    Yas! Great work. So stock, these are just halogen projectors? I guess i just always assumed they were HIDs... such a newb!

The E34 M5 did not come with HID/Xenon, so just halogen regardless of whether the car had free form or ellipsoids. HID can be put in easy and IMHO its probably the best bang for the buck upgrade.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I kind of like the patina of the faded silver honestly.

Correct, only the Euro and Japanese cars had HID available. I did an Acura TSX projector retrofit in my old E34 and it was incredible!

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hlight=TSX+E34

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Quote Originally Posted by de Witt View Post
    The E34 M5 did not come with HID/Xenon, so just halogen regardless of whether the car had free form or ellipsoids. HID can be put in easy and IMHO its probably the best bang for the buck upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    I kind of like the patina of the faded silver honestly.

Correct, only the Euro and Japanese cars had HID available. I did an Acura TSX projector retrofit in my old E34 and it was incredible!

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hlight=TSX+E34

And x2 on the patina. I think it looks great.

My Cars
    e34 M5, 991
    @Butler -- what paint did you use to spray the trim and windshield cowl? I need to do mine as well.

Thanks!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast