Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Butler's E34 M5 Restoration Thread

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by tmswell View Post
    The car is really looking good Nick!
    How's it feel now (old vs new suspension)?
    Thank you! So far so good! Much tighter than the old blown shocks. Its been raining a lot this week so I haven't pushed it really hard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    I was going to say that as well. It'll totally dorp another few/several mm.

Nice work as usual, Nick, and I look forward to an SLS delete DIY with your attention to detail (as well as what approach and specifics you used). Was your SLS blown? I'm mainly wondering why you think it feels so much better, I sort of prefer a fresh SLS over other set-ups on this chassis.
    Thanks dude! The SLS shocks were blown, bouncy and leaking I bet a fresh set of SLS does feel good but I didn't want to go that route. My plan is to modernize things along the way, which means no more SLS The Konis are adjustable, nice and stiff and I wanted to pair them with lowering springs. I think I'll probably keep tweeking the whole suspension package. Still lots of improvements to be made!

Quote Originally Posted by Smith Jason View Post
    I know a guy who is VERY interested in buying your SLS shocks and springs if they are available..............it's me for my own M5 where they have been deleted. Let me know.

Car is looking great as usual.
    Sure thing - I have the rear shocks, rear springs and front springs ready for you. Send me a PM and we'll talk details.
    Last edited by Butler; 10-20-2016 at 12:21 AM.
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    '95 540i M Sport
    Subscribed for SLS delete. Thanks ahead of time 🤘

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler View Post
    Thanks dude! The SLS shocks were blown, bouncy and leaking I bet a fresh set of SLS does feel good but I didn't want to go that route. My plan is to modernize things along the way, which means no more SLS The Konis are adjustable, nice and stiff and I wanted to pair them with lowering springs. I think I'll probably keep tweeking the whole suspension package. Still lots of improvements to be made!
    Ah I gotcha, in your shoes I would have gone the same route as well. I just happened to inherit (well, buy) a car with functional SLS, and assuming you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to obtain it, functioning SLS is sorta cool. Definitely not the ultimate in performance, however. I'm sure you've seen my thread, Unruly Grace's, etc--lots of little things that can really turn the E34 into a tight, sweet handler.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Ah I gotcha, in your shoes I would have gone the same route as well. I just happened to inherit (well, buy) a car with functional SLS, and assuming you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to obtain it, functioning SLS is sorta cool. Definitely not the ultimate in performance, however. I'm sure you've seen my thread, Unruly Grace's, etc--lots of little things that can really turn the E34 into a tight, sweet handler.
    I know what you mean. I love the idea of it and in another world I might have kept it fitted on the car. To be honest, my car has a long way to go before I'm going to be happy with the handling. I have a serious amount of steering play, which makes me crazier than anything else at the moment... and can you believe it? It feels more noticeable now the control arms and shocks are tighter. I've read about the steering wheel nut, which I haven't tightened yet. Otherwise I'm left with the center steering bar and tierods? What do you guys suggest here? Going from the 335 to the M5 leaves me feeling like Im driving a beat down old junker-- Not a $55,000 sports car from the 90s! Help
    -Nick

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I know what you mean. I love the idea of it and in another world I might have kept it fitted on the car. To be honest, my car has a long way to go before I'm going to be happy with the handling. I have a serious amount of steering play, which makes me crazier than anything else at the moment... and can you believe it? It feels more noticeable now the control arms and shocks are tighter. I've read about the steering wheel nut, which I haven't tightened yet. Otherwise I'm left with the center steering bar and tierods? What do you guys suggest here? Going from the 335 to the M5 leaves me feeling like Im driving a beat down old junker-- Not a $55,000 sports car from the 90s! Help
    For one, you're dealing with a steering box vs rack and pinion, so you have to temper your expectations a tiny bit. I'm sure the 335 is tight, but I came from an E36 M3 with a full redone suspension and an E46 330i rack (12.7 or something, super tight and quick) and then an air-cooled 911, so I certainly know what you mean

Definitely do all of the steering links, do the box adjustment nut; but boxes also just wear out, and you don't ever get back the tightness unless you get a new/younger steering box.

Is the steering looseness the main thing bothering you? I'm trying to think of other upgrades that make sense. I always think negative camber, at least -2 up front, makes a huge difference in turn-in feel.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Todays project: BOOM BOOM Ahhh

Its not easy to "show" the final results of this project but here is a teaser picture to peak your interest.

Luke GAS e3410 by Nick Butler, on Flickr
    -Nick

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1994 540i6
    Way to go on the car. It is back to life for sure! Looks better then great!

That's not boom boom. 2 1000watt JL amps and 3 JLA 15's is boom save your money

My Cars
    94 M5T
    i have a luke box in my sedan, love it. It's a tight fit to get it in!
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    The GAS sound system is in and I'm loving it! The difference from the stock stereo is untouchable in every way possible and as far as stereo systems I've experienced it is absolutely and unequivocally amazing. I was lucky enough to have it installed and tuned by Luke himself. Here are some pictures.

Untitled by Nick Butler, on Flickr

SoundSystem-1 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

SoundSystem-3 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

SoundSystem-4 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

-Nick

My Cars
    1999 e39 540iT

Sound system

Nice unobtrusive system and good choice of music 👍

My Cars
    Alfa Romeo 156 GTA SW
    Wow, this thread is so awesome, it's really satisfying to just sit back and read about all the things your doing to the car!

It looks amazing, the smaller grill and the wheels gives your car a cool retro-look which is making a 540-owner like me jealous.. :-D

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Really enjoying this thread, looks like a super fun project. Keep it up!
    CBlock

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Just found this thread by accident, have seen your posts over on M5board, also.

We have (essentially) the same car and I REALLY need to do something about the bus steering wheel.... what production month is your car? I think they changed the steering column later in '90 (mine is 7/90 and is the earlier version). What exact model is that steering wheel?

I also just redid entire suspension, but with the usual H&R/Bilstein sports, as my SLS accumulators had failed and I was tired of launching the rear end over every little dip... I am overall happy, but would also be happy if it were a little less firm at low speeds...(springs).

And you are really tempting me to put the turbines on. I have a full set (currently have the t-stars on) but never got the motivation to switch them.

Keep it up!

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    The latest project: OEM BMW Keyless Entry

Such a nice upgrade! I didnt care about the alarm but really wanted the keyless entry, this came just in time since about a week ago my drivers door lock started to get really sticky and hard to turn. That was my signal to make a move on this mod sooner than later and I'm glad I did.

The install was way easier than I was expecting.

Pull the rear seat.

Find the plug next to the battery where the harness plugs into the car.

Lay out your wiring harness.

Plug everything in.

Configure the remote.

DONE!

The second to last picture is while configuring the remote to the car. You open up the keyless/alarm unit, then open the remote and remove the tiny chip from the remote and insert it into the alarm unit to pair the two! The range is WAY better than I expected. No kidding its twice as good as our E46 remote! It also has a very dorky chirp for locking and unlocking. I love the noise.

In other news, its been winter and I haven't been driving the M5 very much. Lots of garage time unfortunately since we've had some decent winter weather. I sold my 335 about 2 weeks ago and replaced it with a 1997 Landcruiser. I have fallen in love with this truck more than I expected.. or at least quicker than I expected! Its a great daily and now I'm exposed to the 4x4 community, which is a whole new car world that I've never explored.

I immediately ripped off the running boards and got bigger tires. Woot!

FZJ80_newtires-3 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Happy holidays to you guys!
    Last edited by Butler; 12-15-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    -Nick

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Woot!

Where'd you source the keyless kit?

I was close to an FZJ80 instead of selling the M5 for my wagon; still regret it at times, but a Cruiser is certainly in my future. I can't get past the looks of the 60/62 despite knowing they are slow pigs.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Nice! A FJ80 is in my near future so my 540 can transition to more of a weekend car.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Woot!

Where'd you source the keyless kit?

I was close to an FZJ80 instead of selling the M5 for my wagon; still regret it at times, but a Cruiser is certainly in my future. I can't get past the looks of the 60/62 despite knowing they are slow pigs.

Yes dude! I was dead set on an FJ62 even after test driving a few of them.... until I drove an 80 series. It worked out better for me that I didnt get a 60 series. It would have turned into another project and they aren't what you want to daily drive compared to an 80. Factory lockers, more modern amenities and less money than a (clean) 60/62 - SOLD!

The keyless kit came from ebay. I highly recommend the seller, designbolt. Easy transaction and quick shipping. Follow his items on ebay he has some good E30-E36-E34 stuff.
    -Nick

My Cars
    95 525, 92 525, 84 528
    I've got a '94 LC, awesome vehicles. Go to www.ih8mud.com they're an excellent forum/LC source.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Not much to update you guys with, unfortunately. Winter has been hitting Portland harder than normal and Scully has been in hibernation. I couldn't have gotten the Landcruiser at a better time.

-Nick

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I almost commented on that on Insta, but figured I'd ask here--I'm assuming it's not worth it in Portland to have snow tires for something like the M5? How often does it snow in any significant amount?

Just curious, though I will say modern snow tires and an E34 with an LSD are pretty fun and capable in the white stuff!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Nice score on the Land Cruiser! We have the baby brother, a 98 4Runner that we love. It was actually stolen the night before Christmas and we got it back just last week. Needs quite a bit of work to get it back to the same condition but I'm still happy it's back home.

First day I had mine too Anyway, didn't mean to derail the M5, carry one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CblockM3; 01-12-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    CBlock

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    I almost commented on that on Insta, but figured I'd ask here--I'm assuming it's not worth it in Portland to have snow tires for something like the M5? How often does it snow in any significant amount?

Just curious, though I will say modern snow tires and an E34 with an LSD are pretty fun and capable in the white stuff!
    Well, now that I have an extremely capable 4WD car I'm happy to let the M5 sit. :P We don't usually get snow on the ground in the city but this year we've been hit hard. 9 inches at my house from last night- which is super unusual! D: I couldn't live with myself if someone else hit me in the M5 because of some ice on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Nice score on the Land Cruiser! We have the baby brother, a 98 4Runner that we love. It was actually stolen the night before Christmas and we got it back just last week. Needs quite a bit of work to get it back to the same condition but I'm still happy it's back home.

First day I had mine too Anyway, didn't mean to derail the M5, carry on.

Looks like a nice rig!
    -Nick

My Cars
    E34 M5
    M5board became quiet so i have to register here also. Ah what have i found, few nice Land Cruisers!

The rear sits at 25", I hope it settles a bit more. It seems higher than it was before but I can't say for sure since I didn't measure it.
    25" from where to where? It should be higher than original because you use -10mm spring, original M5 sits -20mm compared to 535i etc. M5board you can find OEM ride height topic, there are measures and correct way to do it.

And oh, here snowing all day long...

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Hey Gents,

I had a slight overheating issue at idle when I first got the car - it went away for most of the summer and recently has popped back up. Apparently these cars don't fix themselves! :P I just did the ran clutch news paper test. It seems strong since I couldn't stop the fan. What should I attempt next? I feel like a new radiator would probably be a good decision. I'm going to be doing new hoses soon anyway. Any thoughts if that could be the issue?
    -Nick

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Have you double checked that your aux fan is actuating?

-Greg

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast