Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Butler's E34 M5 Restoration Thread

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith Jason View Post
    Looking really good. I feel like the console etc are coming based off the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    This is turning into an amazing build man! This thread delivers
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by CarterH View Post
    Those seats look amazing! What did you use to scrub them?
    Griots leather cleaner. Amazing stuff!
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler View Post
    The new seats are no joke probably 50% the weight of the electrics they replaced.
    I think that the electric leather sport seats are about 60lbs and the manual ones are in the 30s? Not shabby to lose 50-60lbs swapping in a much more interesting, better condition interior. Will add weight in the rear with the M-tech rear seats though.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    95 525, 92 525, 84 528
    Those seats look amazing! What did you use to scrub them?
    +1. What did you use to clean the leather with?

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    very awesome. You might find that doing the dash/center console portion is easier with those front seats out though!

I'm doing a very similar euro interior swap soon, but mine is going from parchment to grey/black so just mildly more involved (headliner, carpet, pillars) but i'm loving seeing your updates. My stuff came from england, latvia, US, all over lol. Car is at the body shop now and interior when it gets back
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    And having a Stella Artois ? Good choice.
    Lol no. Skunk city!

Sorry Nick I'll stop...soon
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    E34, E30, 240sx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
    +1. What did you use to clean the leather with?
    Griots leather cleaner.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Next center console swap!

Start by removing the old.
    Black console swap-1 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Black console swap-2 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Black console swap-3 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Black console swap-4 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Here is what we have to work with! Late model dash pieces, center console and euro drivers side glove box!

Black console swap-5 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Pistol pouch is so sexy!

Black console swap-6 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Vacuumed 200,000 miles worth of dust from under the console.

Black console swap-7 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Piece by piece putting it all back together.

Black console swap-8 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Black console swap-9 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Black console swap-10 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Black console swap-11 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Black console swap-14 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Heres my hang up - the late model glove box doesn't fit. The distance from the latch to the outer edge is a bit longer than the early model glove box. I really hope one of you guys might have some pointers for me. Who has swapped glove boxes? Help! I'm so frustrated!

Black console swap-13 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Enventually, I moved on the rear center console and bolted up the storage drawer and cover. I still need to modify the cigarette lighter and plate.

Black console swap-12 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

I'm pretty much done for now. No more tricks or parts up my sleeve anymore.

My need list:
    • Figure out late model glove box
    • Black kick panels
    • Black shift boot and ebrake boot (might just buy new pieces)
    • Black rear seat belt covers
    • Black floor matts
    • Trade my Dove M5 shift surround for a black one...? Any takers?
    -Nick

My Cars
    92 M5
    Are you leaving the top dash piece as grey ? Nice work. I have none of that stuff available or we could work something out. Mine is apart right now. Sorting through a MAF error code maybe drivable tomorrow. I sure hope so.

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by TGreene View Post
    I think that the electric leather sport seats are about 60lbs and the manual ones are in the 30s? Not shabby to lose 50-60lbs swapping in a much more interesting, better condition interior. Will add weight in the rear with the M-tech rear seats though.
    Even a full velour manual seat vs. a full leather manual seat has some significant weight difference

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    Seriously inspiring work/post!!! If you're gonna pull it apart, might as well clean it while you have the access!

Also, I feel that ALL e34's should have come standard with the rear console. That's not even the place to be sitting were you without legs.

Random question.. Any way you might be able to take some measurements of that driver side glove box for me? Would love to know the width and depth of both sides of the recess if you get the chance.

Keep up the great work, and congrats on the little one!

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Late model dash with wood panels and early model door cards without woods...? I have late model door cards with woods if you need, but you propably find those local also.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eero View Post
    Late model dash with wood panels and early model door cards without woods...? I have late model door cards with woods if you need, but you propably find those local also.
    I wondered about the wood too. I think it would be kind of cool if he did the dark maple wood look for the wood up the front like this:

00039232_40774_S6.jpg

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre0Tre34 View Post
    Seriously inspiring work/post!!! If you're gonna pull it apart, might as well clean it while you have the access!

Also, I feel that ALL e34's should have come standard with the rear console. That's not even the place to be sitting were you without legs.

Random question.. Any way you might be able to take some measurements of that driver side glove box for me? Would love to know the width and depth of both sides of the recess if you get the chance.

Keep up the great work, and congrats on the little one!
    Agreed. I never like to have a third person in the back seat anyway.

Are you leaving the top dash piece as grey ? Nice work. I have none of that stuff available or we could work something out. Mine is apart right now. Sorting through a MAF error code maybe drivable tomorrow. I sure hope so.
    For now yeah. Staying with the grey. In person it flows nicely with the silver cloth color and grey carpets.

I wondered about the wood too. I think it would be kind of cool if he did the dark maple wood look for the wood up the front like this:

00039232_40774_S6.jpg
    I haven't decided on the details but I'm likely going to wrap the wood trim. I need to figure out the late model glove box first.
    -Nick

My Cars
    '90 535i, '91 M5
    I haven't decided on the details but I'm likely going to wrap the wood trim. I need to figure out the late model glove box first.
    As far as glove boxes go, as long as you have the latch plate from the late model car (that matches the glove box you want to put in) you should be set. I swapped a late model wood trim gas strut into my early model wood trim interior and got all of the mounting brackets just to be sure it would work; they didn't appear any different when I had them out side by side, though my glove box alignment is now imperfect and the cloth retaining strap is the wrong length. But... It closes and latches properly. So YMMV.

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    ...Measurements for driver side glove box possible? Curious if a personal "item" will fit before i seek one out

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    ...Measurements for driver side glove box possible? Curious if a personal "item" will fit before i seek one out
    Not my picture, but they are my hasty measurements. You can see why Butler (I think it was him) is considering expanding the box, it's smaller than most expect. I'd be up for punching out the back, but would want to reupholster if I did so--the finished inside is what makes it cool and not hack-ish, IMHO.

My PPS (.40) has no chance of fitting, especially with a mag, and that's a small thang.

- Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1990 535/5

Unhappy

Thank you Brent! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Definitely a fan of the Walthers as well. Never owned a more comfortable piece (P99)... Was hoping my Kimber M9 would squeeze in there, but it would not seem to be the case

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    I can add that a Sig P938 won't fit either. This is one of Sig's micro pistols. Not sure what else could be smaller. It's the primary reason my driver's side glove box project is on the back burner. My M5 driving gloves fit with plenty of room for a pack of gum. This is the smallest damned glove box I've seen.

My Cars
    02 BMW X5 5 spd manual
    Cblock just directed me to your build thread and your instagram. Holy crap man, this is a great thread. Keep up the good work, and I'm down in Portland every once in a while. It would be cool to meet up and take some photos of the cars together!
    Instagram: Jaws.garage
    2007 Saleen S331 Supercharged #133 Oxford white
    2002 Mercedes E55 AMG Tectite Grey/Black, Kleemann upgrades, Supersprint muffler
    2007 Buell XB12scg Cherry Bomb

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    My PPS (.40) has no chance of fitting, especially with a mag, and that's a small thang.
    Thanks for posting that! Yea, it was way smaller than I was expecting too.

I have a PPKS myself. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Cblock just directed me to your build thread and your instagram. Holy crap man, this is a great thread. Keep up the good work, and I'm down in Portland every once in a while. It would be cool to meet up and take some photos of the cars together!
    Right on! Thank you, I'm glad to hear that people like the thread since all the pics and posting takes a decent chunk of time to organize properly. Drop me a message anytime you're around and I'd be happy to chill. I can hit up the gang and we can make an event out of it.

Speaking of events, how many of you boys are coming to 5erWest? Its less than a month away!
    -Nick

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    You know, I've never paid much attention to the 5erWest show since I don't have a 5 series, never realized it's open to all makes. The whole show/weekend sounds like a ton of fun. It's too late to make it down this year but I'll have to see what I can do next year. BTW, how was the E30 picnic? The Leavenworth Drive was okay, still lots of fun, but not a lot of BMW's there this year.
    CBlock

My Cars
    02 BMW X5 5 spd manual
    Thanks for posting that! Yea, it was way smaller than I was expecting too.

I have a PPKS myself. Cool.

Right on! Thank you, I'm glad to hear that people like the thread since all the pics and posting takes a decent chunk of time to organize properly. Drop me a message anytime you're around and I'd be happy to chill. I can hit up the gang and we can make an event out of it.

Speaking of events, how many of you boys are coming to 5erWest? Its less than a month away!
    Perfect man, that sounds good. I probably won't make it to that meet but I have always wanted to check it out. Maybe next year.
    Instagram: Jaws.garage
    2007 Saleen S331 Supercharged #133 Oxford white
    2002 Mercedes E55 AMG Tectite Grey/Black, Kleemann upgrades, Supersprint muffler
    2007 Buell XB12scg Cherry Bomb

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    You know, I've never paid much attention to the 5erWest show since I don't have a 5 series, never realized it's open to all makes. The whole show/weekend sounds like a ton of fun. It's too late to make it down this year but I'll have to see what I can do next year. BTW, how was the E30 picnic? The Leavenworth Drive was okay, still lots of fun, but not a lot of BMW's there this year.
    The Picnic is always a great show. Its my favorite BMW gathering I've ever been too. Nothing but BMWs, a huge turnout and the location is gorgeous! Like the E30picnic, 5erWest is really model focused but lots of other BMWs show up for the fun. Its much more low key but always a good quality gathering of die-hards and the those in attendance usually skew a little older compared to the E30 kids.
    -Nick

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    They are not nearly as big as you'd think. A standard wallet will not fit nor will an iPhone 6S because the inside is "L" shaped. My plan is to modify mine to be rectangular to be a little more useful.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    Butler, if you don't find any takers for your Dove M5 shift surround I'd try priming and painting it the color of your choice using SEM or Dupli-color vinyl/fabric paint. I've had pretty good results in my touring with both.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast