Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Cars
    bmw x5
    hi there im new and ive just open a part time garage, ive got a bmw x5 on a 53 reg its a 3.0i petrol with twin vanos we put it on code readed and took all the codes off service one and other faults, basically we did a full service and few other parts started it was fine no engine management light or any other lights, took it for a run and then let it ticking over fine, but then came to switch it back on and the engine management light came back on so code scanned it again and it came up with 1-6 misfiring and both o2 sensors but i have heared that it can be down to the vanos's and wondered if it would be that plus there is also a rattle that i have also seen that could be down to the vanos seals gone

any help would be good

My Cars
    03 BMW m3 , 03 BMW x5
    I'm having trouble getting my wife's BT to get strong signal. I took tcu from 05 e46. I put one of these tcu in my 03 e46 m3, I added antenna and mic. The prewiring was all there including cream fakra connector. Work greats paired easy. So I tried same thing in her 03 x5. I can't find that cream colored fakra conn. I could only find light blue one. I put that in the coded blue terminal on the tcu. Then the pin harness in other end. Also found black fakra with purple clip with male and female together. I unplugged it and attached a BT. Antenna to female end. Left male end hanging there. I was able to pair put signal strength seems good but quality is poor. Do I need to do something with eject box? There's nothing there but a small harness and another male black & purple fakra conn. can u please help? I've checked all forums and can't find anything were a cream colored fakra is missing

My Cars
    01 e38x3 95 e540/6
    I still have a ton of electrical issues with my 04 3.0 ... cant figure them out ...

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    I would love to get your input on this 03-E53 4.6is that I'm 90% sure I'm going to purchase tomorrow morning...it's right under 70k miles for $17,500. Clean car fax & autocheck, the current owner is the 3rd, has had it only 6k miles...he says only a brake light comes on and that only the pads need to be changed out. It's amazingly clean but from reading your posts and what's online I'm a bit worried there maybe some underlying issues I cannot see. Im not sure he will allow me to do a PPI on his e53 but I'm going try regardless...What can you suggest I can do to put me at better ease? All your info is greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by MobetterBMW View Post
    I would love to get your input on this 03-E53 4.6is that I'm 90% sure I'm going to purchase tomorrow morning...it's right under 70k miles for $17,500. Clean car fax & autocheck, the current owner is the 3rd, has had it only 6k miles...he says only a brake light comes on and that only the pads need to be changed out. It's amazingly clean but from reading your posts and what's online I'm a bit worried there maybe some underlying issues I cannot see. Im not sure he will allow me to do a PPI on his e53 but I'm going try regardless...What can you suggest I can do to put me at better ease? All your info is greatly appreciated!
    Your not sure the seller will allow a PPI? Then walk away, its a simple/necessary precaution when purchasing a vehicle.

Those V8's can be a headache if not maintained well
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2005 330CiC | Sparkling Graphite | Black | 6MT | ZHP
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    2011 X5 35d | Black Sapphire | Nevada Brown Cinnamon | Sports Package |
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    | Interlagos Blue | Pallidum Silver | DINAN | MPerformance | DCT | SOLD
    2002///M3 | Steel Gray Metallic | Imola Red | 6MT | Convertible| SOLD
    2006 X5 4.8iS | LeMans Blue Metallic | Creme Beige | SOLD
    2006 ///M3 | Silver Gray | Black | Competition Package (ZCP) | 6MT | SOLD
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD
    2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Saphhire Metallic | Black Sport | SOLD
    2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Gray | Terracotta | SOLD

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5
    my 2001 x5 cranks and wont start .i unplug the fuel pump and put it back and after a few min it start ran for a good hour .i shut it down and after about 2 hrs i drove it to the store let it run when i was getting ready to leave it shut down again. is this the fuel pump or a fuel filter.i do not know where the fuel filter is.

my 2001 x5 cranks and wont start .i unplug the fuel pump and put it back and after a few min it start ran for a good hour .i shut it down and after about 2 hrs i drove it to the store let it run when i was getting ready to leave it shut down again. is this the fuel pump or a fuel filter.i do not know where the fuel filter is.

My Cars
    1995 318i

2006 X5 3.0i Pre Purchase Inspection

I just signed on a 2006 X5 with 108k miles for $13,900 pending a PPI and I want your help to determine if it is a great vehicle. I have owned a 1995 318i for a number of years and have kept it running with the help of this forum. I don't have the time/$$ to put a lot of work into this vehicle after I purchase it and want to make sure I catch everything possible during the PPI.

I've included a link to the vehicle below and some pictures as well. Can someone tell me what they think of this deal and what areas I should have the mechanic (a independent shop that only does BMWs) focus on during the pre-purchase??

http://www.dedhamauto.com/used/BMW/2...52044668a5.htm

Thanks! I wouldn't be a BMW owner without the help of this forum

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5
    My tailight(pass sd) just doesn't work even though I've been to (european motors)a shop several times. My frustration led me to examine it myself only to find out they rigged it with wires as a quick fix, when compared the drive side has no wires whatsoever. I tried soldering it for better contact but to no avail. Does anyone know where I can get one for a decent price/

My Cars
    2003 BMW X5 4.6is S3-R
    My 2003 X5 4.6is S3 Dinan,

My X5 Dinan S3 is at Intermittent times going into Engine Fail Safe Mode. The Oil Temperature is within Specifications, the Cooling System is well within Safe Operational Temperature, the Rpm's start to act like a Malfunctioning MAF Sensor, or a TPS.

I keep coming across this Subject and there are varying accounts of possible causal Factors, and possible Solutions, that seem to be a lot of guesswork. My X5 has only 60MI and no Warranty Remaining.

I have not Powerwashed the Engine Bay, or anything has been unplugged (sensors) this is an Intermittent Problem that is quite Frustrating. BMW does not like to give out any Information about their Machines, to aid in Diagnosing this Problem.

The MIL Light is Illuminated, and on one occasion it has Flashed a couple times. I would Appreciate a BMW Automotive Technician to aid in my cause!! I am a Licensed Technician but my Weaker Skill Set impedes my efforts in Electrical Diagnostic Skills. I am a General Automotive Technician, so I am mainly Mechanical Minded.

Please Help!!!!

My Cars
    2006 325i , 2007 X5

X5/E70 Fail to start, press the start button and not even a crank, please leads...

Friday my X5 fail to start short after i took it out of the driveway, put the key in, press the stop pedal, press the start button and nothing, just a humming noise as always when you press the button without depressing the stop pedal like when you are going to reset some service on the car obd.

i read the same issued happen on several bmw but i have not seen a fix or root cause of the problem, any feedback? i get no error message on the key, on the screen sometimes i get the yellow message to press the pedal (even when i am pressing), sometimes the 4x4 malfunction message... i all ready took the battery out, took to advance and autozone for testing and both say it was ok but they charge it for one hour anyway, reinstall and nothing, same thing... went to the dealer and worthless with this guys, i rater ask my son.... yes will get better help.

i noticed that the break pedal is very stiff, but might be normal as i have might have lost the vacuum as vehicle has no engine power, the steering wheel column dont move, i just hear a click noise when i move the toggle switch to move up/down, front/back and also the steering wheel wont lock...

any feedback guys??? help. thanks

My Cars
    bmw 325isport shadowline
    Hello ppl. I recently purchased a 2003 x5 e53 3.0d.. No1 has mentioned the diesel, not sure If u guys got them as I'm in south Africa.. Anyway, car goes really well except sometimes wen I switch of, it warns me of tyre defective, remote battery etc.. Wat could cause that.. Unfortunately the pixels on that screen is slightly worn so I don't get the full warning..

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan2terrible View Post
    Hello ppl. I recently purchased a 2003 x5 e53 3.0d.. No1 has mentioned the diesel, not sure If u guys got them as I'm in south Africa.. Anyway, car goes really well except sometimes wen I switch of, it warns me of tyre defective, remote battery etc.. Wat could cause that.. Unfortunately the pixels on that screen is slightly worn so I don't get the full warning..
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Bmw x5 2005 3.0d
    Hi guys. Looking for some advice on my 2005 X5 3.0d. When the engine is on idle, white smoke starts to come from the underside and I believe this is the exhaust for the heating system? I was told this was fine as long as it happened very rarely but it seems to be happening on every other small journey. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem, like have the heating system serviced or change a filter?

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    Hi, I have a 2002 x5 4.4i. Have put in a new timing chain, tensor. But now it crank but won't start, I have a code P0001. Any idea how to fixed.

My Cars
    BMW X5 2003 4.6 is

Best and worst cars

Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilli View Post
    Well at least you're comparing a Japanese (Lexus/Infiniti) luxury variant to the X5...still apples to oranges, imo, however a more realistic comparison. Would be interested in hearing which vehicle bimmerlova chose. Of the Japanese variants mentioned so far, at higher mileage, my suggestion would be an Acura MDX/RDX or Lexus SUV. I don't have enough experience with Infiniti to recommend to anyone...including the new FX45 i owned for a few months before dumping for another E53 4.6iS.

...Ditto on less electronics for reliability.
    Best cars I've owned (about six) were Toyota Landcruisers-80 and 100 series. 60 series was rubbish. Lexus LX470 X4 and the best LX570 X1. The worst was a 2 year old Range Rover Sport supercharged with 30000kms on the clock. Electrical, overheating, brakes and rotors wearing out too early. The best part of that car was the 4.6 S/C Jag motor. The rest just a heap OS.
    Just bought a 2003 BMW X5 4.6 is, really looking forward to picking it up in a couple of days.
    I'll be hanging around this site quite a bit from now on.

My Cars
    Brimmer
    I have a 2005 bmw x5 but it won't start. It will crank but won't start?

My Cars
    2000 BMW E39 M5
    2008 X5 4.8i E70 broken valve seals and low idle because of timing chain problem

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4i
    Key won't recognize esw/ imobilizer after battery change

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Here's my E53 X5 playlist of common DIY repairs and maintenance. Hope it helps!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BoZOPEauRHskow

Here are some popular uploads:

My Cars
    2009 x5
    I have a 2009 x5 that the brakes seem to stick once in a while. But only when I first driving it. It only happens when I'm at a red light, or stoped in traffic for a short time. After driving it a few min. it stops. Break pads look fine.

My Cars
    2012 328i, X5 1994 325iC
    This is common on e46 as well. Tragically so in fact.

My Cars
    2001 bmw x5 3.0i
    I need your Help!!! I own a 2001 x5 3.0i I started having issues with the abs, traction, brake warning lights all coming on. I had to replace my battery and I replaced all of the abs sensors, Everything seemed ok, I reset the new battery and the warning lights all went away, but as soon as i turn on the ac and radio the warning lights come back on and the battery dies... Can anyone point me to the culprit??? HELP!

My Cars
    2009 BMW X5 xdrive30i
    Just replaced front struts and mount in my 2009 x5 xdrive30i, after a month my mount went bad again

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRliterbikz View Post
    So it seems like there is a new thread every week or so asking what some common problems are on the either the X3 or 5.
    Having done a fair amount of research and owning a Bently manual on the X5 I thought I would start a thread on Common problems and what the changes were through the different model years.

If you see anything wrong or have anything to add, post it.

So to start with, model changes...
    2000, introduced with a 4.4l and optional small screen navi.
    2001, 3.0l introduced with either automatic or 5 speed manual. New 16:9 nav screen

2002, 4.6is debut. 4.4 hp bumped up to 290. Adjustable ride height option added. Powered rear seat backs added

2003, Adaptive brake lights added (according to Bentley, I never noticed), Nav updated to DVD based maps.

2004, Facelift. New X-drive AWD system. N62 valvetronic 4.4 introduced. 4.8is replaces 4.6is. 3.0l got a 6 speed manual and v8's got new 6 speed auto. New headlights, tails, and Halo's (angel eye's).

2005, Auto dimming mirrors and compass. Pano sunroof. Xenon adaptive headlights with auto leveling. PDC becomes standered on 4.4l's.

2006, New interior bits and exterior wheels and colors.

Engines
    M54 3.0 (2001-06) HP 225
    TQ 214 or 293
    (Bentley has 2 different numbers, I doubt its 293)

M62 TU 4.4l (2000-03) HP up to 01, 282
    02 and 03, 290
    TQ 324
    M62 TU 4.6is (02-03) HP 340
    TQ 350
    N62 (04-06) HP 315
    TQ 324
    N62 4.8is (04-06) HP 355
    TQ 360
    Bentley manual says all X5's have air suspension in rear and sports have front and rear. I disagree though. My non sport 04 doesn't have any air suspension.

On to common problems.
    -Cold weather crankcase vents condensate water and freeze up. There is an updated design now that minimizes the problem.
    -Excessive camber in rear wheels that's made worse by large diameter wheels.
    -Door carriers are prone to break.
    -The usual cooling system woes. Usually need to be overhauled around 100k. M62's sometimes have leaky valley pans under the intake. To check, look for coolant on the trans. bellhousing. 3.0l's have plastic impellers on the water pumps.
    -N62 has a water pipe under the intake that will leak at higher mileage. Its a royal PITA to fix. From what I hear though, BMW extended the warranty on this problem to 100k. Also there is an aftermarket company that makes an updated pipe that has more o-rings and can twist and expand into place, alleviating the need to rip apart the motor.
    -V8's have a composite plastic timing chain guide rails that wear out. Most dont make it much past 150k.
    -Air suspension can be a bit of a pain. Every used one I looked at had either 1 or 2 bad bags or had just had new ones put in.
    -False tail light out warnings. Here is a link to my fix. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1558664
    Feel free to chime in with other problems or features I missed. Maybe if we get a good comprehensive list we could get a Mod. to sticky it up top.
    Also, maybe someone can start one for the X3.
    Greetings! Great write up! I have an e39 m62 with super high mileage so it's time to retire it and upgrade. I came across this post and was wondering if there's an even more updated version of the newer X5's out there? Realizing this is an old post, I'm wondering about the 4.8is
    The fact that its on an E39 chassis, and has a lot more hp than my m62 is very attractive for many obvious reasons. I've had my e39 since May 2009. To that end, since this is an old post, fast forward and in my research I've read where the 4.8's have expensive oil leaks. Any confirmation on that or any other major mechanical headaches I would get myself into [if I can even find the ultra rare low, mileage, right equipped, right color vehicle?]
    E70 is an option, Or even one of the oldest F15'S providing of course, the strength of my research shows there's an E70 or F15 that will give me the joy, pleasure and excitement [hp, handling, comfort] I experience when driving my e39 m62, minus all the maintenance I've had to do over 100k[+] miles on a car that I got with 295 K on it when I purchased it. That of course by purchasing a "lower mile" vehicle, and realizing that the E70 or F15 may not exist with the characteristics I'm hoping for [TBD]
    I do know I want an X5...
    Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Shopping
    I had an 06 X5 4.4i and got rid of it as soon as I had the white smoke exhaust problem and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm back on the hunt for another X5 and came across an 07 X5 3.0si that I am very interested in mainly for towing boats and occasional 40 minute commutes to work. From other posts I'm seeing positive feedback on most 3.0's. Anything else I should look for on this vehicle? It has 150k miles and all service records.
    Alpine White 01 740i (for sale)
    Grey 06 330CI (sold)
    Dolphin Grey 86 528e (sold)
    Grey 90 735iL (sold)
    Black 06 X5 4.4 (sold)
    Orient Blue 01 530i Sport (RIP)
    Alpine White 10 535i (sold)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast