Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N20 timing chain

My Cars
    not an e30

N20 timing chain

Just took my 2012 328i (build date 12/11) to dealer for a OFH recall and new front windshield. When I picked it up SA told me tech found issue with my timing chain making a noise and they have to do a "puma" where they tear it all apart and take pictures, then forward to BMW for repair authorization. SA said they will be replacing it.

After she told me this I did some googling and found out BMW has known about this and started using different parts.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/bmw-n2...tes-1716844660

Has any hear experienced the same thing?

My Cars
    1999 m3
    Yes...
    Same thing happened to me
    2013 F25 BMW X3
    3.5 years old 53,000 miles... just out of warranty. Dealer refuses to fix... estimate is $18,000.

See My post here... Contacting BMW now... and trying to get as many stories together so they know its a problem.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?p=9691191

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Same Here. a while back when this was a hot topic... ( my car was out of warranty) my dealer had the chain on back order with no ETA. I just went myself and got the new updated chain directly from the OES. IWIS # 50042415 crosses to a 11 31 8 648 732 IIRC it was only $30.00. My local indie did the labor for $400.

My Cars
    2017 Range Rover Sport
    Anybody know if BMW has released a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about this? I have a 2013 328i, but it's only got 27,000 miles on it now, and no issues. But if I can swap in these new parts before there's a problem then I'm willing to do it. It's not a difficult job from what I can see, but also mine is still under warranty and if there is a TSB I may try to sweet talk my service manager to doing it for me when it's in for an oil change in the next few months.
    Shane K.
    '12 Mercedes Benz GL 350
    '13 328i
    '94 325i JS Race

What years were affected?

Quote Originally Posted by jherrold View Post
    What years were affected?
    I have a 2015 328i base built date 6/2015

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by sak335 View Post
    Anybody know if BMW has released a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about this? I have a 2013 328i, but it's only got 27,000 miles on it now, and no issues. But if I can swap in these new parts before there's a problem then I'm willing to do it. It's not a difficult job from what I can see, but also mine is still under warranty and if there is a TSB I may try to sweet talk my service manager to doing it for me when it's in for an oil change in the next few months.
    I'm bumping this as I just acquired a '13 320i with 48k miles and am doing due diligence. I'm an inveterate DIYer, but this is the newest BMW I've owned by ~10 years. My car is out of warranty, but there is none of the telltale sound and the chain has absolutely no shine/scratch marks on it. Anyone done a preventive swap to the new guide part number?

Or considering all of the potential failure points, should I buck up and buy a power train warranty for 100k miles? This car is to be my commuter, with few mods planned; I just need it to run, and run cheaply.

It seems the failure rate in general is still a very very low % (particularly with 320s for some reason), and perhaps is largely due to long oil change intervals. Not a coincidence that BMW both changed the part number and lowered the oil change interval a few years into N20 production...

Quote Originally Posted by jherrold View Post
    I have a 2015 328i base built date 6/2015
    You should be good, they reportedly changed parts 1/2015. But just open your oil cap and look, if the chain guide is white it's the new, improved part; orange is the old one (doubtful based on your build date).
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    The timing chain broke on my 2013 BMW X3 two weeks ago with no warning. The car has 52,000 miles and is out of warranty. So far BMW has offered a $2000 trade assist, which made me very angry, given that I've found so many reports of people having this problem. They have yet to say what they would do by way of goodwill repair...but the trade assist offer has me considering hiring an attorney.

My Cars
    2013 328i M Sport
    Mines a 2013 328 m sport. 62k. What noise should I listen for and I'm thinking I should just have the chain replaced proactively. What years and models are affected. Please and thank you!

My Cars
    2001 325CI
    Google 9/21/17 BMW ELW on timing chain. Mine was just replaced with the guides, oil pump, gaskets, out, etc. for free. 9/12 build, 2013 X3 with 65k miles. Outstanding service at New Country BMW in CT, included a loaner.

My Cars
    2013 328i M Sport
    Bumping. Who received the extended warranty letter 7/70 on the timing chain issue? Also, how widespread of a problem is this. Obviously mine is in the build range and I’m more than a little concerned. Checking the Internet on this issue is kinda like checking web md for a cough. You’re sure it’s cancer.

My Cars
    2014 328i
    just got my letter. im just shy of 50k on my 14' 328i. i would like to get the dealer to do a full replacement of all the parts if i can.

My Cars
    2014 M Sport 328i
    just purchased a pre-owned 2014 328i w/ 38k on it, brought it to my local BMW dealer and had them perform a full inspection of the car. They didn't mention anything about it or replacing it in the future. Is there anything official from BMW that someone can post? What letter did you get in the mail Fla328i? I'm going to be purchasing an extended warranty on it but like to also be proactive about things when I can...

Thanks!

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)

My Cars
    2014 M Sport 328i
    Thanks floydr!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The bulletin 11-03-17 explains it there is an extended warranty of 7 years or 70k on the problem. This applies to a lot different makes of BMW's because it apples to the n20 and n26 engines.

My Cars
    2014 320i 6MT
    Just purchased a 2014 320i, 25k miles with an extended CPO warranty. Seems like my car is right in the middle of affected models. It has been giving some "whine" noises I only hear during highway driving. I think I am going to take it to the dealer and see what can be done. I thought it was the diff just making some noise, but this seems more likely. Thanks for the info! Cheers!

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    interesting talk here, where between the OCI and the viscosity responsible for the failing of the timing chain... basically, is it an oil that is too thin which degrade the timing chain whose slack cannot be compensated by the chain tensionner which gets obliterated...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=975382

One of the kids bought one and upon listening to the engine, I told her, this engine is noisy, have it check at the dealership... tech says it is fine...

My Cars
    2013 328i
    Hi - new here. I am/was so close on pulling the trigger on a used 2013 328i xdrive (68k miles) until I came across these horror stories. Now I am a bit reluctant and not sure what to do. I recently test drove it and it sounded fine, no whining noise from what I could hear. Would it be foolish to move forward with the sale? The car is so nice and drives great but now I am very nervous, thanks ahead for any input. Can I ask the seller to take it to BMW for an inspection?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by letank View Post
    interesting talk here, where between the OCI and the viscosity responsible for the failing of the timing chain... basically, is it an oil that is too thin which degrade the timing chain whose slack cannot be compensated by the chain tensionner which gets obliterated...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=975382

One of the kids bought one and upon listening to the engine, I told her, this engine is noisy, have it check at the dealership... tech says it is fine...
    It's tough because the engine, especially cold, does have injector click/tap and does, completely normally, sound like a diesel until it is warm

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    I'm bumping this as I just acquired a '13 320i with 48k miles and am doing due diligence. I'm an inveterate DIYer, but this is the newest BMW I've owned by ~10 years. My car is out of warranty, but there is none of the telltale sound and the chain has absolutely no shine/scratch marks on it. Anyone done a preventive swap to the new guide part number?

Or considering all of the potential failure points, should I buck up and buy a power train warranty for 100k miles? This car is to be my commuter, with few mods planned; I just need it to run, and run cheaply.

It seems the failure rate in general is still a very very low % (particularly with 320s for some reason), and perhaps is largely due to long oil change intervals. Not a coincidence that BMW both changed the part number and lowered the oil change interval a few years into N20 production...

You should be good, they reportedly changed parts 1/2015. But just open your oil cap and look, if the chain guide is white it's the new, improved part; orange is the old one (doubtful based on your build date).
    There is no white guides. They stain over time from the engine oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    It's tough because the engine, especially cold, does have injector click/tap and does, completely normally, sound like a diesel until it is warm

But the timing chain noise makes it sound like it has a supercharger, not a diesel engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328XI
    Just got the bad news on my 2013 328I Xdrive. Its at 82000 miles. BMW offered 2500 toward a 10000 fix. I laughed! That was from the dealer though. I have not even begun my fight with BMW NA. There is a huge lawsuit that is in litigation. I spoke with the law firm involved....the seem to think it will settle in the next 30 days or so. Most likey will extend the warranty to 100000 miles. I told the dealer he can just hold on to that car on his lot until the lawsuit is settled. Im not dropping 10 grand on a car I still owe on with the hope that I am eventually gonna get the money back. This engine should have been recalled a long time ago. If anyone has any suggestions..I would love to hear them!!!!

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcnamara417 View Post
    Just got the bad news on my 2013 328I Xdrive. Its at 82000 miles. BMW offered 2500 toward a 10000 fix. I laughed! That was from the dealer though. I have not even begun my fight with BMW NA. There is a huge lawsuit that is in litigation. I spoke with the law firm involved....the seem to think it will settle in the next 30 days or so. Most likey will extend the warranty to 100000 miles. I told the dealer he can just hold on to that car on his lot until the lawsuit is settled. Im not dropping 10 grand on a car I still owe on with the hope that I am eventually gonna get the money back. This engine should have been recalled a long time ago. If anyone has any suggestions..I would love to hear them!!!!
    Sorry to hear about that, and is definitely concerning since I have the exact year/model (I'm at 67000km). Would you be able to reference the lawsuit and company to which you are referring? I'd be very interested in knowing the details.
    That's a tough situation, and based on my experience, you'll have a tough time with BMW, although I have heard of situations where BMW covered 75% of the costs. You could always hire your own attorney if you aren't able to achieve anything on your own.
    To my understanding, a key point in alot of these lawsuits is the following:
    1. BMW advertises the timing chain as a lifetime component when the vehicle was sold. Since I purchased it knowing this information, they are responsible for upholding it, otherwise it's fraud and unethical business.

If I were in your situation, I would do exactly the same. Wait until the results of the lawsuit is determined.

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcnamara417 View Post
    Or actually, if you are confident enough about the lawsuit, you could fix it now, and have your bill reimbursed once the warranty comes into effect. Just make sure that the diagnostics clearly indicates that the issue is related to the timing chain and falls under the qualifications of the warranty. They can sometimes come up with BS to weasel themselves out of situations. Also, if the warranty never gets extended, then you will be left with the bill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast