Thread: '07 525i - CD player looks like it's reading CD but no audio. All else makes sounds

My Cars
    2007 525i

'07 525i - CD player looks like it's reading CD but no audio. All else makes sounds

I googled and found some things about resetting if ALL sounds are off but nothing specific about the CD player. My car just has the CD player and acts like all is well but no sound. Radio, AUX and car <"brrrinngs"> all are fine.

Bad CD player or maybe a connection is loose or bad from the CD player? Shame since it is supposed to play MP3's.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe

Question

Short attention span people should skip reading this message. Too long if you have ADD/ADHD. Sorry.

My ride: 1999 E36 M3

I just started having this same issue after swapping the stock tape deck with an alpine deck that previously played CDs just fine.

In my case, this problem of no sound when playing CDs started when removed an entire aftermarket system - speaker wire, RCA, etc, and went back to stock tape deck. The stock tape deck plays just fine, but all I can do to test the sound of my new BSW stage 1 speaker kit is play the radio. Not a great test of audio capability! So that is why I changed back to the Alpine deck (which has been in this car for 18 yrs wired with aftermarket amps, sub, etc). So now, I'm using all factory wiring - no aftermarket anything other than this Alpine deck. It's the Alpine deck that has a CD player which no long produces sound (disc is playing fine - just no sound). Alpine radio plays fine - only CD has no sound. The CD was producing sound before I connected wires in the wiring harness that were previously not used with the old aftermarket system that was connected using the RCA outs. Specifically, the "blue wire" and "blue/white wire" issue talked about elsewhere where the BMW antenna amplifier wasn't getting power, so reception was non-existent. Soon as the blue wire from the Alpine is connected to the white wire coming from the car, the signal amplifier turns on, and reception is fairly good. I think the issue must have something to do with which wire I have connected from the Alpine wiring harness - the blue wire or blue/white. Currently, the blue/white wire coming from the Alpine harness is not connected to anything.

So, basically, Alpine CD funtion was producing sound before messing with wiring harness, while the Alpine radio continues to produce sound just fine, before and after.

Can't find a single relevant search result using g00gle, yet I know there has been discussion about this blue and blue/white wire issue in other forums I read but can't seem to fine now. If you have solved this issue, please share with those of us struggling to get an aftermarket CD player sound working again.

Thank you