Thread: M235i Radiator damage - help?

My Cars
    M235i

Exclamation M235i Radiator damage - help?

Hi everyone, this is the first time I am posting here. I have a M235i (2014) and yesterday, after 30 min of bumper to bumper traffic, I got a series of 3 amber messages in the iDrive screen advising to drive moderately due to high engine temperature. I was close to my destination so I did not stop the car, but I am concerned now. I see one of my radiators (the lower front one) is smashed, even though there is no leak. I never got that message before, but also had not driven in such hard traffic before as well.

Should I take the car to a BMW dealer and be charged $$$$$$ for the radiator replacement (since my car still has 1 more year of factory warranty), or should I seek a independent mechanic (in North New Jersey) that could fix it for cheaper? How much would this cost at a BMW dealer? $2000 maybe

I regret not noticing this before I bought the car (used)...

tks

My Cars
    z3
    How did that even happen? Thats crazy. Guess we know why the previous owner sold a car not even 2 years old...

Take it to the BMW dealership

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If it is not leaking, why rush to replace? First find cause of overheat(low coolant level, air in system, actual coolant in system-not just water, loose or faulty rad-cap, failing waterpump etc...). Too many variables without an accurate observation.While you are at it, pull any codes and post up results here.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 04-28-2016 at 03:35 AM.

My Cars
    M235i
    Hi everyone, I left my car at the BMW dealership to investigate the overheat issue. The electric cooling fan was faulty, as well as the coolant pump (and coolant liquid). Both were replaced at no cost since I still have 1yr of BMW warranty, and I got the car back in the following day. I have used the car for almost two weeks in heavy traffic, and no sign of overheating anymore. No explanations for the failure of both the fan and pump, but I guess it might be induced by a low charged battery (the service report says it was charged).

The smashed radiator is actually the intercooler radiator, not the main one. I was advised by the BMW dealership that it is only a (ugly) cosmetic damage, and do not need to be replaced. In any case, however, it would cost $1250 (labor + radiator + tax) to have it fixed there.

I might replace it in the future but instead of going for a OEM part, I would install a upgraded version like the following (which would cost me less than $1000 installed)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAGNER-TUNIN...VWmH1Z&vxp=mtr

let me know what u think, and if you know of any better intercooler radiator that would not require major tweaks in the original setup of the car (such as cutting things like inside the bumper)