Thread: 1987 M6 Engine Wiring Harness

My Cars
    1987 M6

1987 M6 Engine Wiring Harness

Please Help.

My 1987 M6 will start but won’t stay running. After some years (off and on) of looking, mechanic #3 sez it has an intermittent short in the engine wiring harness.
    I’ve searched VERY hard and I thought I finally got lucky when I found one on e-bay, but it turns out there was a change in this part in June of 87 and I’m on the wrong side of that change. It was worth a try. Some parts shops will take me through multiple ordering screens even to the point of charging my credit card . . . only to find out that the part is out of stock.

The part # it is NOT: 12 51 1 312 106. Think the last six digits are 310 355 or 310 855

Any suggestions regarding where to find one are welcomed. Has anyone ever successfully tackled reworking one of these manually? Any ideas of who can do this work? Other options? If I can’t find one, I’m going to be forced to part the car out.

My Cars
    1987 BMW M6
    There are so many links in the chain that makes these cars run. I had a similar problem that I wrestled with for about 3 years and I swapped relays and other parts with no luck. I finally sat with my meter and tools to trace the system failure to a single connection at the OBC Relay box up under the dash. Stupid, simple and very well hidden. This was one of many corroded connections that existed to cause trouble. It's tedious but I personally would not consider changing out the wire harness.

My Cars
    M635csi Dinan Turbo
    Electrical troubleshooting manual is your friend.

I agree with Suabby, you're going to need to diagnose this. Using the wiring guide, trace all wiring for the ECU and fuel system. The ECU area is very prone to moisture/corrosion.

Question(s): How long will it run before cutting off? Is it just for 30 or so seconds, while the cold-start process is underway? Once your RPMs settle at warmup, does it die right then? (If so, I suspect the ECU is going bad.)

Or is it random? Will it run for a few days, hours, etc.?
    Last edited by JoeLoco; 04-12-2016 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Sorry for delayed response. Time lost track of me. I can get it to run for 30 seconds. Maybe 60.