Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fix sun roof or lose it altogether

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    I want to remove my sunroof as well. I never use them and they always tend to be prone to leaking and other issues as the cars age. If the PO hadn't spent $3500+ replacing all of the guts with brand new OEM parts when he had the sunroof rust repaired and repainted I would be much more tempted to do it sooner rather than later. Even after throwing all that cash at it, the panel still sits too low in the rear- makes it look like its not fully closed. Now I am just going to wait for it to fail then make the move. I really want the extra head room and also have a really talented upholstery guy that can modify or custom make a headliner to gain the new found space from the sunroof mechanism being removed. I was thinking about buying an actual replacement non-sunroof panel from BMW and removing the glass and sheetmetal and welding the new one in instead of welding the existing sunroof filler panel into place...

My Cars
    1994 840CI & 1995 Rx-7
    I wonder if enough interest was conjured, if we could get a small run of the hardtop headliners made...

I'd be down for 1.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    I wonder if enough interest was conjured, if we could get a small run of the hardtop headliners made...

I'd be down for 1.
    I'm exploring the options. I have a friend that has a CNC router and another that builds composites so I might leverage their help to make a mold and pull some parts. Time will tell. I want to get something soon though because I am tired of the roof leaking all over the place and I don't want to invest any money into something I plan on eliminating...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12