Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fix sun roof or lose it altogether

My Cars
    2009 Porsche 911

Question fix sun roof or lose it altogether

My sunroof needs a refresh. The seal is shot, there are two small rust spots that need to get repaired and the inner roof panel no longer works when opening the sunroof (I need to do this manually). I hardly ever use the sunroof in the first place and have been thinking about removing it altogether. Putting cost aside what would you do?

I don't plan on selling this car anytime soon (or at all) however if I did and it didn't have a sunroof do you think that would hurt my resale value? Honestly the only person who is going to buy a car like this would be an enthusiast and may want it relitivly stock (wouldn't they)?

I look forward to your comments.
    2016 Macan Turbo
    2009 Porsche 911 Carerra S (997.2)
    2013 BMW 135i Convertible

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    fix it. Rebuild the lift mechanisms with new gates, racks, and arms. Properly address the rust spot of buy a new lid, they aren't that expensive.
    "Removing it" is way more involved than you might think

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    Timely topic for me. My project 8 needs a full headliner replacement, as well as a full repaint. The sunroof works, but the seals don't look great and it's not quite aligned to my satisfaction. I've given just brief thought to deleting it as part of the restoration. It's really only been a passing thought up to this point.

I have an E36/8 M Coupe with the sunroof deleted at the factory, and I can say that I don't miss having one at all. Also, it actually makes that model a bit more desirable to enthusiasts. In my daily driver, I can't remember the last time I opened the sunroof, or even the interior moonroof panel. It's only there because it was standard on the vehicle.

Cheers, John

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Before you go the "delete" route - make sure you can source the new/special headliner. I've been told that the last one was purchased a couple of years back...

My Cars
    2009 Porsche 911
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytt View Post
    Before you go the "delete" route - make sure you can source the new/special headliner. I've been told that the last one was purchased a couple of years back...
    As for the headliner, I'm not worried. I deal with an amazing upholsterer and he will make me a new headliner. As a matter of fact, sunroof delete or not I was also thinking about redoing the headliner and pillars in black Alcantara!

My Cars
    '91 e31
    The sunroof delete uses a different piece altogether that restores that lost headroom - not just a matter of re-upholstery
    Black is nice - CSIs came that way IIRC

My Cars
    1994 840CI & 1995 Rx-7
    Hardtops are boss.

ditch it.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    I don't use mine all the time, but I do have to say, when I do, it's really nice. With the lack of a B pillar, opening everything up really gives that almost convertible feel. But that's just me.
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    95 840,14 535i
    When i bought my car i removed the inner panel and have never had a problem with the sunroof. The inner panel seems like a waste of time.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    I would fix it. Well, I did. But did not replace trolley gears and found after recovering the liner, installing new gates, toothed racks, guides, that the liner gear was slipping. So I did the same as above and just removed the liner and toothed racks.

I will at some point do Frankie's manual liner conversion though, makes for a more finished look. Apart from the automatic function of the liner, it seems that the sunroof mechanism is really not all that bad.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I am the one that bought the last sunroof-delete headliner for the Diamond Black car that I welded the sunroof shut. Doing it again to one of the white ones. Much nicer interior and no worries about leaks or rust.
    I don't believe it would hurt the resale of any normal 8.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    ...I welded the sunroof shut.
    Could you describe how you did the sunroof delete?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by radlaw View Post
    Could you describe how you did the sunroof delete?
    Basically, I purchased a new steel sunroof panel (the old one had too much rust on it), and used 1/8" steel rods as the "filler" between the panel and the roof. After it was all MIG welded, the seal was filled, sanded and primed and painted. I was fortunate enough to purchase the very last OEM sunroof-delete headliner from BMW in Germany. It came out perfect, but unfortunately the ex got that car in the divorce...
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 02-06-2017 at 03:35 PM.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    And Steffen got that headliner because I ordered it to do the same thing, then decided not to and returned it to BMW...Funny how small the world is. I think the biggest challenge would be making a headliner from one for a regular sunroof. But...if Steffen could just snitch that one from his Ex we could have a template made....just sayin'!!!!
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    If you have the ability to delete it properly so it looks good inside and out and doesn't break the bank, then I say go for it. There are plenty of E31's out there with working sunroofs and plenty of them out there that have issues. There aren't many that are sunroof delete.

FWIW, I never use mine and the previous owner spent $1500 on a sunroof rebuild a couple years back. I'm just waiting for the time when one of those uber expensive plastic bits fails and leaves me stranded with an open roof (perhaps that's why I don't use it). I've often thought BMW needlessly overcomplicated some things in the E31, so if you have a chance to simplify something (and increase reliability) and it makes you happy, then all the better.

My Cars
    1994 Alpine White 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by barry8108 View Post
    When i bought my car i removed the inner panel and have never had a problem with the sunroof. The inner panel seems like a waste of time.
    After buying two new racks for the sliding inner panel, and working for two days to get it to work nice nice with the sunroof, I removed it from the roof, walked out to the edge of the woods by my house, and proceeded to throw it as hard as I could. Then grabbed a beer, found the panel, and pissed on it!
    The sunroof is a nice option to keep. The inner panel and related mechanism was the biggest piece of crap That ever came out of the hallowed halls of BMW.
    '94 840Ci "Broomhilda"
    Mission Creep |def|: "When repair X ultimately leads to repair Y and Z"

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    And Steffen got that headliner because I ordered it to do the same thing, then decided not to and returned it to BMW...Funny how small the world is. I think the biggest challenge would be making a headliner from one for a regular sunroof. But...if Steffen could just snitch that one from his Ex we could have a template made....just sayin'!!!!
    I heard that the car may come up for sale...
    I think even if I offered $100,000, it wouldn't be for sale to me, not that I would want to drive anymore anyway.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by blanz View Post
    After buying two new racks for the sliding inner panel, and working for two days to get it to work nice nice with the sunroof, I removed it from the roof, walked out to the edge of the woods by my house, and proceeded to throw it as hard as I could. Then grabbed a beer, found the panel, and pissed on it!
    The sunroof is a nice option to keep. The inner panel and related mechanism was the biggest piece of crap That ever came out of the hallowed halls of BMW.
    Oh boy! LOL, I don't blame you one bit...took tremendous discipline and phone support from cartoonz for me not to take it to fursideup's ranch and use it for target practice!

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    You mean you didn't run over it with the car? You're slacking!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Basically, I purchased a new steel sunroof panel (the old one had too much rust on it), and used 1/8" steel rods as the "filler" between the panel and the roof. After it was all MIG welded, the seal was filled, sanded and primed and painted.
    I imagine with the delete headliner, the mechanism is removed. What about leaving the mechanism in, keeping the sliding panel and using a "sunroof" headliner, since the delete ones are NLA?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWNTHZST View Post
    As for the headliner, I'm not worried. I deal with an amazing upholsterer and he will make me a new headliner. As a matter of fact, sunroof delete or not I was also thinking about redoing the headliner and pillars in black Alcantara!
    If you convert from sunroof to sunroof delete, don't you also have to replace the foam backing and/or board between the headliner and the roof? It has the same sunroof opening the headliner has and allows for the sunroof mechanism. Once the sunroof & carriage is gone, doesn't the foam and board also need to be replaced with a "sunroof delete" foam/board?
    Last edited by radlaw; 02-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    I have considered both a welded-in steel option as discussed above, or having something like a Lexan panel cut to fit the sunroof cutout. After removing the mechanism and inner panel, and recovering the existing headliner, I would think that you could accomplish a decent-looking "permanent moonroof." I haven't studied the curvature of the roof enough to think about whether the plastic would have to be shaped to continue the curve without being a big flat spot on top -- but that issue extends to the metal solution as well. I would think that the existing sunroof panel could serve as a mold to heat-bend the plastic to match its shape fairly easily. I'm equally comfortable with welding and bonding -- but welding things shut will require precautions to avoid burning anything unintentionally. With all the sunroof-delete headliners gone, replacement will just require fab work from a good interior guy -- whether just to fill the hole in the sunroof headliner or to recreate something closer to the delete headliner.

Cheers, John

My Cars
    1991 850i / 6
    Anybody remember this? Carbon fiber roof details

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by radlaw View Post
    If you convert from sunroof to sunroof delete, don't you also have to replace the foam backing and/or board between the headliner and the roof? It has the same sunroof opening the headliner has and allows for the sunroof mechanism. Once the sunroof & carriage is gone, doesn't the foam and board also need to be replaced with a "sunroof delete" foam/board?
    No, because the sunroof delete headliner does not have the hole in it. You get rid of the complete sunroof cassette and the inner panel - they are not required anymore. The sunroof delete headliner also sits closer to the underside of the roof structure and is very flat. It is also missing the sunroof switch and motor protrusion as well.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Yeah - I remember seeing Yu's cf roof. I loved the look and thought about doing it a few times. Haven't seen him since he did the roof and wonder how it has held up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast