Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 Hater's Phase 3, AKA what's a budget build?

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Infammus 1 View Post
    I'd ask Otis about the new ones, I don't think they're A/C compatible. A spa t4 bottom mount might fit the hx40. Fits my friends GT40R so I'd say it's possible.
    Is he running 3 or 4" intake? I love my bottom mount setup and having A/C, but the additional bends of above the subfame piping as well as limited intake diameter are some of the cons.

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Infammus 1 View Post
    I'd ask Otis about the new ones, I don't think they're A/C compatible. A spa t4 bottom mount might fit the hx40. Fits my friends GT40R so I'd say it's possible.
    The HX40 is a T3, so I'm sure I can one in that flange type. And dayum, the GT40 is a big boy. But then again the turbine housing on the HX40 is a monster, I wish I had a manifold laying around to test fit. Gonna have to do some digging I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Is he running 3 or 4" intake? I love my bottom mount setup and having A/C, but the additional bends of above the subfame piping as well as limited intake diameter are some of the cons.
    All good points, and the HX40 is a 4" intake diameter. So there would be some tight squeezing in there. I would have to do some engine mount swapping for sure.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Damokun View Post
    All good points, and the HX40 is a 4" intake diameter. So there would be some tight squeezing in there. I would have to do some engine mount swapping for sure.
    It's already tight with my 62mm precision. After seeing my friends hx40 on his m50, I don't think it'll fit based off the turbine housing size. Maybe with a very slim engine mount arm and below the subframe piping, you'll have a chance. Assuming it clears the tranny.

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe
    It's already tight with my 62mm precision. After seeing my friends hx40 on his m50, I don't think it'll fit based off the turbine housing size. Maybe with a very slim engine mount arm and below the subframe piping, you'll have a chance. Assuming it clears the tranny.
    Seems like it will be simpler to just go top mount and have new A/C lines fabricated then. I can't do without A/C in the GA summers. Thanks for the info. Sorry for the OT. I'm paying close attention to what I'm learning here though.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    The new manifold from Otis is AC compatible, but need new AC lines

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 332i, 90 535i
    Seems like it will be simpler to just go top mount and have new A/C lines fabricated then. I can't do without A/C in the GA summers. Thanks for the info. Sorry for the OT. I'm paying close attention to what I'm learning here though.
    Save yourself the headache and go bottom mount, you can keep your stock a/c lines and you won't have as much heat under the hood that you would from a top mount

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36
    Due to the airflow underneath the car, heat still rises and gets trapped in the engine bay. Doesn't do any favors for the all ready restricted intake either which is the main reason I wrapped my downpipe and got a turbo blanket. But yes if you want a/c without headaches, bottom mount is the wayz.

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe
    Due to the airflow underneath the car, heat still rises and gets trapped in the engine bay. Doesn't do any favors for the all ready restricted intake either which is the main reason I wrapped my downpipe and got a turbo blanket. But yes if you want a/c without headaches, bottom mount is the wayz.
    I agree whole-heartedly. And as far as simplicity, bottom mount may require a scavenge pump, so in some ways it's more complicated for a turbo this size. I'm more concerned with fitment issues back there really. Plus, stealthy bottom mount is stealthy. If bottom mount, I'll do what i have to do mount wise to get where I need to be.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo

I did run GTX4088R 0.95 on a Boostlogic and am now running EFR8374 1.05 EWG on a Steedspeed. AKG mounts, AC but lowered on lowering bracket and carved out tensioner mount, 4 inch oval intake to foglight area and 2.5 hotside under subframe.

Steedspeed is lower than Boostlogic. I think BL is the better manifold. EFR turbine touches FCAB eyeball. Had to grind. Could replace with mini eyeball and have plenty of clearance.

May go to 3.0 oval under subframe piping when I get new TS Steedspeed that is higher mount. 2.5 oval would give great clearance. I have scraped my 2.5 round over the years but its still there 6 years later. On a really low car, you would want oval for under subframe.

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I did run GTX4088R 0.95 on a Boostlogic and am now running EFR8374 1.05 EWG on a Steedspeed. AKG mounts, AC but lowered on lowering bracket and carved out tensioner mount, 4 inch oval intake to foglight area and 2.5 hotside under subframe.

Steedspeed is lower than Boostlogic. I think BL is the better manifold. EFR turbine touches FCAB eyeball. Had to grind. Could replace with mini eyeball and have plenty of clearance.

May go to 3.0 oval under subframe piping when I get new TS Steedspeed that is higher mount. 2.5 oval would give great clearance. I have scraped my 2.5 round over the years but its still there 6 years later. On a really low car, you would want oval for under subframe.
    You wouldn't happen to still have that boostlogic.......

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    ^^^no he doesnt, I has it and loves it very very much great manifold

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    ^^^no he doesnt, I has it and loves it very very much great manifold
    You! I should have known.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I wish I had it. There is no end in sight on the wait for the new TS Steedspeed. For a big turbo, I think the twinscroll is worthwhile. Among the open manifolds, I'd go with Spa or Boostlogic. Boostlogic has the bigger and better wastegate pipe, but the Boostlogic is not so common these days. Spa is new and relatively cheap.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I wish I had it. There is no end in sight on the wait for the new TS Steedspeed. For a big turbo, I think the twinscroll is worthwhile. Among the open manifolds, I'd go with Spa or Boostlogic. Boostlogic has the bigger and better wastegate pipe, but the Boostlogic is not so common these days. Spa is new and relatively cheap.
    You can have solace in knowing it's being put to good use

Does suck though, I feel the frustration. Several people sold manifolds or entire set ups for the new steed...

For bottom mounts I'd try and find a boostlogic or max psi tubular. Think those are probably the best bottom mounts currently. Spa is relatively cheap and reliable, but it's a pretty crappy manifold ... from a performance aspect.
    Last edited by rajicase; 06-29-2016 at 03:29 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Spa is relatively cheap and reliable, but it's a pretty crappy manifold ... from a performance aspect.
    I would not knock the Spa. People have made great power running them. Really great power. Like 800 rwhp from a PT6266. And great response, like 600 lbs rwtq at 3700 rpm from the 6266.

My Cars
    E36
    I would not knock the Spa. People have made great power running them. Really great power. Like 800 rwhp from a PT6266. And great response, like 600 lbs rwtq at 3700 rpm from the 6266.
    ^This.

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    ^This.
    x2, hoping to make some good sauce on my setup.

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bke36Is View Post
    Save yourself the headache and go bottom mount, you can keep your stock a/c lines and you won't have as much heat under the hood that you would from a top mount

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    I think an extended A/C line is worth the ability to have a twin scroll tubular top mount. Also no need for a scavenge pump and ease of working on the turbo. The heat is inevitable with either setup, just need to manage it. Bottom mount twin scroll is probably somewhat best of both worlds, but it seems like the new version isn't coming around any time soon.
    Last edited by Da Infammus 1; 06-29-2016 at 04:36 PM.
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

People have made 600whp on ebay turbo kits.

The spa gets the job done, it's reliable and fits well. But in terms of name brand e36 turbo manifolds, it's pretty much bottom of the barrel. (Not counting ebay manis)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo

People have made 600whp on ebay turbo kits.

The spa gets the job done, it's reliable and fits well. But in terms of name brand e36 turbo manifolds, it's pretty much bottom of the barrel. (Not counting ebay manis)
    Id take the Spa over a 666 and over a Steedspeed. No scavenge needed with the Spa and a reasonable sized turbo.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

Id take the Spa over a 666 and over a Steedspeed. No scavenge needed with the Spa and a reasonable sized turbo.
    Modified turbine housing and blocked off spa gate port would be ideal. Making WG piping for spa sucks. Routing it sucks, and porting it sucks. Its spa's downfall. Other than that, its probably the best manifold on the market. Taking into consideration that you can trust it won't break, no scavage pump, and you can buy a WG and BOV + SPA + gaskets + bolts/nuts + piping material for the price of a fancy manifold.

I don't think we have seen the choke point of a SPA yet. EGT might get high going for 1200+wheel maybe.
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 06-29-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Modified turbine housing and blocked off spa gate port would be ideal. Making WG piping for spa sucks. Routing it sucks, and porting it sucks. Its spa's downfall. Other than that, its probably the best manifold on the market. Taking into consideration that you can trust it won't break, no scavage pump, and you can buy a WG and BOV + SPA + gaskets + bolts/nuts + piping material for the price of a fancy manifold. I don't think we have seen the choke point of a SPA yet. EGT might get high going for 1200+wheel maybe.
    Was supposed to put an egt in mine, of course I was like meh, next time lol

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe
    I was actually looking at the Spa manifold, but I was concerned about the scavenge pump aspect of it. To be honest I think I'd rather go bottom mount as long as it makes sense. I'm fairly certain I could have it ported by my machine shop as well. I'd have little issue blocking the WG port and going with something more custom. The shop I routinely order parts from does their own exhaust work now, so I'm fairly certain they could rig something up.

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    I was actually looking at the Spa manifold, but I was concerned about the scavenge pump aspect of it. To be honest I think I'd rather go bottom mount as long as it makes sense. I'm fairly certain I could have it ported by my machine shop as well. I'd have little issue blocking the WG port and going with something more custom. The shop I routinely order parts from does their own exhaust work now, so I'm fairly certain they could rig something up.
    No scavenge w/spa

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe
    If only some hero could rescue me with a spare Spa manifold so that I could do a test fit....

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast