Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Cleaning engine block

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i

Cleaning engine block

I've got an m54 330 all aluminum block laying around and I want to use it for a coffee table. I need to clean it and since it will be a piece of furniture I want this thing sparkling. What are my best options?

I've hit it with oven cleaner and elbow grease that did a decent job but it's certainly not clean enough.

I've got a sandblast cabinet at work. This would be the best option I'm sure, but I'm afraid this would take off the shiny machined surfaces where they are machined. Correct?

We also have a cleaning tank we use to clean aluminum channel before powder coating. Only issue is the parts come out a bit brown looking and I certainly don't want that for my shiny silver aluminum block.

Lastly, what are my options/cost to send it to someone to clean?

My Cars
    E39
    Have a machine shop clean it

My Cars
    4/'98 E38 735iL
    Blasting almost any medium at it will take the shine off it. Look into vapour blasting. It's the only thing I've ever seen that brings aluminium back to a OEM finish as if it were hot off the production line. Quite incredible to see a whole driveline vapour blasted and fitted under a old car!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    I got a shop to quote cleaning it in a tank for $50 or less. Will cleaning it in a solution be enough to remove all the grease, old gasket, and rust spots or will it require additional post bath cleaning? Will it discolor the block at all? I ask because we have a wash tank at work that we clean aluminum parts in and it puts a tarnished brown tint to them. Granted they are aluminum extrusions (6063) and not aluminum castings of a different alloy.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Good ol' fashioned gasoline and a stiff brush will clean er up
    This block was literally caked from an OFH leak.

Edit, the mount brackets were sandblasted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dbarton62; 04-12-2016 at 06:07 PM.
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.