Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering locked up and car started overheating

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i

Steering locked up and car started overheating

I've been driving my 735 for about a week with no overheating problems whatsoever. I've had absolutely no engine problems but then today as I'm driving home, the steering locked up, the "check" light started flashing and it was saying something about coolant. I started smelling it immediately after that and then the car started smoking.

Anyone know what the problem could be? I'm quite stumped at the moment

My Cars
    85 e24 M635, 02 540it,
    Stop the car, turn off the engine and start checking the basics. Check coolant, check belts, check oil. etc.

Do you have the e28 green bentley service manual?

Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by FlyOverCountry; 04-09-2016 at 05:08 PM.

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Steering locked up? Maybe the steering reverted to manual since the power fluid was not getting pumped by the...wait for it...pump.

The pump is belt driven and if coolant got all over the belt maybe the belt lost traction. Coolant leak from where is the answer to that issue.

Maybe the key on the main drive off the crank broke leaving the belts not turning.

A number of different issues, we need to hear more.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by 8991XJ View Post
    Steering locked up? Maybe the steering reverted to manual since the power fluid was not getting pumped by the...wait for it...pump. The pump is belt driven and if coolant got all over the belt maybe the belt lost traction. Coolant leak from where is the answer to that issue. Maybe the key on the main drive off the crank broke leaving the belts not turning. A number of different issues, we need to hear more.
    Unfortunately I'm not a hugely experienced mechanic and I don't really have the space to do anything further than just looking under the hood since I live in an apartment complex

However, that being said, I think one of the pulleys may be the issue. Last I checked, all the belts were in great condition and all of the coolant hoses are pretty much new. I'm not familiar with it all and I haven't actually taken a good look yet considering this happened after I was exhausted from work, but tomorrow afternoon I'll try to take a look and see and I'll update with what I find.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    Update: I started the car up again and I can clearly hear one of the pulleys constantly slipping. Can't tell which one it is yet but I'll probably have to replace all of the pulleys just to be on the safe side

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    Steering locked up? Maybe the steering reverted to manual since the power fluid was not getting pumped by the...wait for it...pump. The pump is belt driven and if coolant got all over the belt maybe the belt lost traction. Coolant leak from where is the answer to that issue. Maybe the key on the main drive off the crank broke leaving the belts not turning. A number of different issues, we need to hear more.
    Turns out the leak seems to be coming from the water pump ( I think)

Unfortunately I can't see very much and the leak is coming from the underside so I really can't get under and see it because there's a ton of other stuff in the way from the bottom. Some of the coolant is flicked upward by the fan while it's running

If it would help, I could post a video of the leak?
    At this point I just want to find out if I need to replace the whole water pump or if it's something a bit more simple

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Water pumps have a weep hole on the bottom side to indicate the impending failure. Time to replace the water pump. Only hard part is the hood opens the wrong way for ease of replacement. Any independent auto service shop, especially one that does european cars can do that for you.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    Water pumps have a weep hole on the bottom side to indicate the impending failure. Time to replace the water pump. Only hard part is the hood opens the wrong way for ease of replacement. Any independent auto service shop, especially one that does european cars can do that for you.
    I'd honestly rather save a few $$ and do it myself but I can't find any detailed diys for it. Do you happen to know of any? I've looked all around Google and everything that was related was for E28s and E34s (same engine, I know but since they're set up differently I'd want to see it done on an E23 specifically)

My Cars
    85 e24 M635, 02 540it,
    get the bentley manual, but there should be some write ups on the net search bmw e28 or M30 Waterpump or cooling system.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Servic...FZA2aQodmEUE4A

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    If you are going to dive into it, having the bentley is good there is also the BMW manual https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/397en/index.htm

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    If you are going to dive into it, having the bentley is good there is also the BMW manual https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/397en/index.htm
    I didn't know about this one! Thanks! I had been looking for a pdf of the Bentley one but had no luck. I'll give this one a look after work today

I also read somewhere on the forum that there are two different brands of fan clutch/water pump combos where one has a 13mm center nut and the other has a 32mm. Do you happen to know anything about that? The post didn't go into too much detail about the differences but it said something about the 32mm one flowing better...

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    well you need to cough up the car you have or look at realoem and poke in the last 7 of the vin to get the info on what they think the car has in it. You could look and if you have questions, post a pic.

the two pumps are for two different fan clutch systems not interchangeable but if you replace all that stuff you can swap.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    well you need to cough up the car you have or look at realoem and poke in the last 7 of the vin to get the info on what they think the car has in it. You could look and if you have questions, post a pic.

the two pumps are for two different fan clutch systems not interchangeable but if you replace all that stuff you can swap.
    So I've looked on realoem and it's telling me I have Part no. 11511707415
    but everything that carries that part is saying that it doesnt fit? I'm getting that part no. 11519070757 and 11519061160 would be the right parts. How do I know if I have the bolt on fan coupling?I see that the 757 part is for the bolt on coupling and the 160 is for the spin on coupling

I've also found a compatible part at autozone (i know it may not be the best route to go but I'm trying to get back on the road asap) should I trust that part or go for one of the others listed above?

(sorry for asking so many questions. I'm very new to doing my own work on my car but I appreciate all the help I've gotten so far )

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Do you have a 32mm nut on the front of the water pump behind the fan/clutch? This unscrews using left hand threads and if you have that then the pump would be the ...70761 unit. This is the only one I know but I know there is another pump system with the fan/clutch system.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    I can't tell what size the nut is at this point, but I think I may have found something else since I was able to get my hands on some jack stands

The leak looks like its coming from higher than the water pump

Because this is the water pump, right?
    tumblr_o5mwhmhWEY1qhgbljo1_1280.jpg

the leak looks like it's coming from under here (which if I remember correctly, is the thermostat)
    tumblr_o5mwhmhWEY1qhgbljo2_1280.jpg

and it's leaking quite profusely. I'm going to try replacing the thermostat before attempting to tackle the water pump

My Cars
    85 e24 M635, 02 540it,
    Looks like you may just need

BMW Engine Coolant Thermostat housing Gasket 11531250357

But if you want to replace them all you may want to replace the WP, thermostat, gaskets, etc.

You have the older style waterPump with the bolt on fan clutch.

WP - pn:11519070757

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/1...757-MFG52.aspx $42 is not bad.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-engine-water-pump-11519070757my $49 with free shipping

old style fan clutch pn:11521260459

Make sure you get the correct thermostat and gaskets

You will need:
    BMW Engine Coolant Thermostat Gasket 11531250357

and probably the older style thermostat with rubber gasket ring that goes with it.

Thermostat comparison. Old style on left, Stant 13558 that fits the A 4.1 housing; new on right, NAPA #148 (Stant 13588 equivalent, direct replacement for a BMW 11 53 1 713 040), fits the new housing A 4.2

In my opinion you are better off buying the newer type with a threaded flange for the fan clutch along with the new fan clutch an belt pulley.

Waterpump like this:

And

Fan clutch like this:

I recommend HePU brand...Water pump if you go this route.
    Last edited by FlyOverCountry; 04-14-2016 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    I'm going to go ahead and replace the thermostat today since it's not obscenely expensive and I think it might solve my leaking problem. This car needs one that's rated at 80 C right?

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    80°C is correct.

You need the flat rubber o-ring for that thermostat housing. The housing has an A on it on top, can't miss it if you need the real o-ring gasket for the thermostat. That is a later part, 86 or so. The A is on the housing not the cover.

If you do go with the water pump, I would do as FOC says and replace the pump and the fan clutch with the new versions. Only a Sachs clutch the Behr suck according to the e28 guys.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    So going with that advice, I looked up the water pump for an 86 instead of an 85 and found this

is that a suitable water pump for that setup you guys are talking about?

My Cars
    85 e24 M635, 02 540it,
    yes that pump from AZ will work, you will need a new fan clutch and pulley too.

the old wp pulley will not match up with the new WP FYI, I would find a used one. They should be $15 from someone with some m30 parts.
    Last edited by FlyOverCountry; 04-14-2016 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyOverCountry View Post
    yes that pump from AZ will work, you will need a new fan clutch and pulley too. the old wp pulley will not match up with the new WP FYI, I would find a used one. They should be $15 from someone with some m30 parts.
    You wouldn't happen to be someone with M30 parts would you? Looking for a brand new one would run me somewhere around $100 and is like to keep it closer to $15

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    Anyone have a non oem pulley they found somewhere?? I'm having trouble finding anything that isn't ridiculously priced. I've been searching all day and can't really find anything

My Cars
    85 e24 M635, 02 540it,
    He may have one , he parts quite a few cars.

Or post on mye28 what part you are looking for on the parts wanted forum.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=136453&start=0

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=138049
    Last edited by FlyOverCountry; 04-15-2016 at 10:28 AM.

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i
    Anyone know what the purpose of this thing is?? It's totally in my way and if I can leave it off there when I put the new pump on, I will. It looks like a mount of some sort but it doesn't seem to hold anything

My Cars
    85 735i/89 535i

Forgot the link

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast