Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Chinese GP @ Shanghai

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

2016 Chinese GP @ Shanghai

F1 is finally back to 2015 qualifying rules thanks to teams requesting it after seeing another disaster run and much disappointed qualifying session in Bahrain. It is believed that this will remain in effect for the rest of the season.

No news yet if Alonso will return to his cockpit but I believe he will.

Looking forward to another great race from Shanghai.

Drivers
    Championship Points
    Nico Rosberg 50
    Lewis Hamilton 33
    Daniel Ricciardo 24
    Kimi Raikkonen 18
    Romain Grosjean 18
    Sebastian Vettel 15
    Felipe Massa 14
    Max Verstappen 9
    Nico Hulkenberg 6
    Daniil Kvyat 6
    Valtteri Bottas 6
    Carlos Sainz 2
    Stoffel Vandoorne 1
    Kevin Magnussen 0
    Jolyon Palmer 0
    Marcus Ericsson 0
    Sergio Perez 0
    Pascal Wehrlein 0
    Felipe Nasr 0
    Jenson Button 0
    Rio Haryanto 0
    Estaban Gutierrez 0
    Fernando Alonso 0

Constructors
    Championship Points
    Mercedes 83
    Ferrari 33
    RBR 30
    Williams 20
    Haas 18
    Toro Rosso 11
    Force India 6
    Mclaren 1
    Renault 0
    Sauber 0
    Manor 0

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    I love seeing Grosjean/Haas up there! Hopefully the torrid start to the season continues this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    renault
    Absolutely agree with m3fuz. Chinese race must be interesting because of freakish weather in Shanghai. I’ve read an interview with Alonso. He says that he intends to participate in the race. Let’s wish him a good luck! I believe he will return too!
    Last edited by Bittersweet007; 04-12-2016 at 04:16 PM.

My Cars
    TBD
    I hope Vandoorne races again instead of Alonso. He might not get another chance for years and he deserves a seat.

Weather forecast says light rain on Friday and Saturday with clear skies on Sunday. Could make for an interesting race if the teams cannot test or quali in the dry. With the long fast corners I doubt the Super Softs will last 10 laps so I'm expecting a lot of pit stops which nearly always makes the races interesting.

One of the longest straights on the calendar with the cars pulling almost 6Gs under braking into turn turn 14.

It should be a good race.

My Cars
    TBD
    update:

Alonso gets provisional clearance to compete in China

- - - Updated - - -

Also:

Hamilton is getting a 5 place grid penalty due to changing his gearbox.

My Cars
    renault
    Well done! No doubt Vandoorne is a fine fellow, but as for me, I am cheering for Alonso. Hope he will undergo a further test.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, he will do the first practice session and then will undergo a quick medical check up before they allow him to do anything else.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    anyone watching FP1, Massa, Magnussen had tire blowouts and the track had a red flag to clean debris. looks like Pirelli did a michelin move and the tires are exploding or deflating without warning or puncture.....
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Pirelli mandating higher tire pressures, 23/21.5 f/r, "cold". Drivers complaining of no grip, no feel, sliding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Kimi during FP2:

Last edited by MagneZium; 04-15-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38

My Cars
    TBD
    Yeah, about to start watching FP1 and 2 but IIRC in Melbourne this year Kimi said pretty much the same thing when he was out doing a run on the mediums.

Said it was a waste of time.

He really doesn't like the long run tire tests but he always gets the harder compound to test while Seb gets the softer.

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 IR + 13 Honda
    Really hope the Ferrari's are able to get something good out of this weekend! RoGro also complaining that Pirelli have asked to use high tire pressures, and that during the Michelin era the pressures were not high, they are almost 5 to7 PSi higher than what Michelin used to advise and in the raise they gain another 2 to 3 PSi....almost all drivers are complaining about the cars floating with a lack of grip!

May be Pirelli are worried that regular pressures might chew up tires as this track is known to cause graining specially on the left tires....may be to reduce that they are advising high pressures, OR they have found something that is bugging them and hence advising higher pressures!

My Cars
    TBD
    Watching FP2 now and Kimi was on the softs when he complained after 14 laps. Seb was doing the long runs on the medium. So they did swap the tire compounds per driver.

But wow, the NBC coverage is painful. Their pronunciation of Boat-ass. Making vroom vroom noises when they have nothing to say. Writing on the screen in their yellow marker to show where the steering wheel is. urgh

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 IR + 13 Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    Watching FP2 now and Kimi was on the softs when he complained after 14 laps. Seb was doing the long runs on the medium. So they did swap the tire compounds per driver.

But wow, the NBC coverage is painful. Their pronunciation of Boat-ass. Making vroom vroom noises when they have nothing to say. Writing on the screen in their yellow marker to show where the steering wheel is. urgh
    To say they are PATHETIC is shameful, they are that bad! That old fart mentioned something this morning and i was like WHAAAT (cant remember what it was) but yeah they lack details, knowledge, they dont recognize driver helmets, its a joke. I normally watch NBC broadcast on mute with commentary from Sky F1 and switch to Sky video feed when NBC goes on a break!

I have a feeling Haas might just have 1 glory year this year, as regulations are changing next year. I REALLY hope they are able to keep up with their upward curve, would be great for F1 in the states! Also very sad that none of the major channels, including ESPN dont even give 2 cents about Haas F1 and dont even cover them in SportsCentre!

I mean come on guys, this is your home team, give it some love!

My Cars
    TBD
    I hope they don't change the rules. Haas was very clever in the way they've built the team. Others can do it to since it's now a tried and tested startup with good (comparatively) results. These rules and Haas shows that it is possible to enter F1 and make a good showing.

The other teams who've tried building everything by themselves are mostly gone or currently under financial duress. HRT, USGP, Lotus, Caterham, and now Sauber and Force India with pretty serious financial woes.

If anything, Haas working within the rules, have proved that you don't need to go it alone until you're ready.

Having said that I really don't want to see customer cars in F1 so I wouldn't mind if they tweaked the rules a bit (re: wind tunnel testing etc) - but there's no need for a massive overhaul.

My Cars
    WAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchimont View Post
    To say they are PATHETIC is shameful, they are that bad! That old fart mentioned something this morning and i was like WHAAAT (cant remember what it was) but yeah they lack details, knowledge, they dont recognize driver helmets, its a joke. I normally watch NBC broadcast on mute with commentary from Sky F1 and switch to Sky video feed when NBC goes on a break!

I have a feeling Haas might just have 1 glory year this year, as regulations are changing next year. I REALLY hope they are able to keep up with their upward curve, would be great for F1 in the states! Also very sad that none of the major channels, including ESPN dont even give 2 cents about Haas F1 and dont even cover them in SportsCentre!

I mean come on guys, this is your home team, give it some love!
    Well, SportsCentre is on TSN in Canada so I'm not sure why they would care that much about an American team

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Hamilton out of the car in quali.

Looking like Rosberg will be world champion.

- - - Updated - - -

Addition: Ricciardo behind Rosberg. Assuming no drama at the start he has a nice buffer behind him, medium tires, and the others around him will have to lap soon on their softs.

Then again it might rain tomorrow so everything is still possible?

My Cars
    TBD
    Interesting quali.

Turn 14 caught both Kimi and Seb out.

Lewis' car has an ERS issue. Must be a strange issue because they had an oscilloscope connected together with a laptop. Lewis starts last.

Hulk's going to get a grid penalty for the lost wheel.

How Ricciardo got that lap is incredible. Renault (TagHeuer) obviously doing much better.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneZium View Post
    Hamilton out of the car in quali.

Looking like Rosberg will be world champion.

- - - Updated - - -

Addition: Ricciardo behind Rosberg. Assuming no drama at the start he has a nice buffer behind him, medium tires, and the others around him will have to lap soon on their softs.

Then again it might rain tomorrow so everything is still possible?
    You're calling it with 19 races to go?

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    With this recent streak of bad luck maybe we'll get to see 2011 Lewis again.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quick question. Is the race at 2am eastern time or 3am?

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    2am eastern
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    You're calling it with 19 races to go?
    I'm expressing what the situation strongly looks like. 'Calling it' achieves nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

About the first corner incident: I agree that Kvyat was a bit over-optimistic as at the end of the move did drift almost to the edge of the track with barely enough room for another car anymore at all (if Vettel had survived that far). He came from pretty far back and comparing to the speed of everyone else on the track, he was massively faster entering that part of the corner. Then again, its hard to determine if it was a suicidal dive-bomb or a legit move. After all he was far enough alongside Vettel to argue that Vettel should just leave him enough room and all Kvyat has to do is leave enough room for Vettel. I don't know what the rules say about leaving room for two cars if there are that many that you're actually passing...

Vettel had basically no choice to do anything except steer into either Kvyat or Räikkönen (after he had left the door wide open, then again he probably determined it to be impossible for anyone to dive-bomb from as far back as the nearest car was). In hindsight he should've just kept his line and hit Kvyat, but then Kvyat would've gone sideways in front of him and Kimi or even jumped, possibly taking them all out of the race.

So maybe in the end it's Räikkönen who is to blame if we need to find who caused that racing incident. He should've kept from tightening his line to get back further to the inside as he didn't have room to do so. He was 'coming back into the corner' after drifting wide as much as Vettel steered into him as he dodged Kvyat. But it's understandable that Kimi had no way of seeing both Vettel and Kvyat appearing from way back and knowing that Vettel would have to take a wide line so there's no room for Kimi to tighten the line.

BTW some commentators said that the whole thing started from Kimi locking up and coming up with reasons why his brakes would lock up (due to them being cold etc.) but I think it's clear that he just reacted to Rosberg tightening his line to the inside and he had to hit the anchors so his wing doesn't hit the rear of Rosberg.

Anyway, great drive (after that) from Vettel, Kimi, Daniel, and also in a boring way from Rosberg too. Too bad that the Oligarch-supported Russian is even in the sport but that's F1, and he drove well I guess.

Williams just isn't a fast car, period. They're barely at the front of the mid-field teams and I don't see them rising up higher without serious improvements to the car.

Hoping for a solid race for the Ferraris next time, I want to see what they can do against the Mercs! Probably still can't beat them without everything going 100% and masterful tactics, but they'll be close now? Actually, I still think the Mercs can just drop them behind at the pit stops and drive so solid that they'd get a 1-2. Even if Ferrari would be closer behind, they'd still be behind with no chance of passing.
    Last edited by MagneZium; 04-17-2016 at 06:00 AM.

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 IR + 13 Honda
    - Feels like a missed opportunity for the Ferrari's, lets see where they can go on a normal race
    - Vettel vs Kvyat was a racing incident - it was good to see their reaction and conversation post race. Vettel was upset and out-spoken and Kvyat, I guess could care less and he seemed to be glad to be on the podium, good for him!
    - I thought McLaren sounded optimistic when they did not make into Q3 - kind of expected more from them
    - Hamilton's car must have sustained damage as his pace was no where in closing stages
    - The Red Bull chassis - looks to be the class of the field, in slow speed corners especially they are able to lay the traction down very quickly and smoothly
    - Not sure how Hass F1 suddenly dropped may be the post race investigation will report something we dont know

Was a normal race, F1 2016 is definitely one of the more interesting seasons for a while, since I can remember, good racing, competetive teams, good quality and depth of drivers in the field as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast